Thread: how long does your average turn take?

Post how long does your average turn take?

I would like to know how long does it take until u finally click the end turn button?

Im interested because i think sometimes iīm too meticulous(is that the word?)
    and so my turns (having some 15-20 provinces) takes 30-60 min when not playing battle!.
    I just canīt force myself not doing the micro management..
    I just canīt be satisfied with what the ai chooses for my cities to build, taxes etc.

And the battles- i almost never use autocalc thinking i would loose some 20 more soldiers than necessary..

it has also some advantages - like when playing the highest difficulty i still never have a problem (except having enought time) to become so dominant on the map that there is no doubt i would win the game.. (though i never conquered the entire map-because it would simply take me too long and would be boring too
    And this makes me mad..

how is it with you?

BTW in MTW sometimes it took me 2-3 hrs per turn with some little battles when i held most of eu

Default Re: how long does your average turn take?

Well I don't play RTW vanilla anymore, but if I remember correctly it took me about 4-5 mins+ depending on how large my empire was.

did u manage all settlements? and how about the battles

Im like you Riman, I have to micromanage every little detail and fight every battle personally. I like it that way. My turns usually take about 6 minutes though Ive never had a really big empire. I usually start the campain as someone else before I expand too much.
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

Part of micromanaging is probably a good thing.

Excessive micromanaging will definitely drive you nuts.

Check Loyalty/Happiness levels.

Try to build at least one economic building every turn, two is better. Also try to build or upgrade a military building or your blacksmith, armorer, and try to get at least one foundry, preferably near your other provinces.

Retrain and recruit in places most threatened.

If you have two adjacent territories, one has a blacksmith, and the other has an armorer, and everybody in the one with an armorer is retrained to full strength and armor, send some to the other which has only a blacksmith, trade unit for unit until you have about 9 (if there are that many) in the Armorer place. Retrain them, and trade some more between the places until everybody is retrained. When you have a foundry, do it again. The weapons and armor differences make a big difference when the fur starts to fly.

I try not to let my cities automanage, because they do not put the same emphasis on building priorities, nor recruiting.

The so called happiness buildings such as coliseum and tavern, I avoid. If the plebs don't have games often enough they tend to riot. When you give them daily games and they are still rioting, and you have two spies and 3 assassins in a city, and they still riot, what can you do? I've noticed that they are more trouble than they are worth. Same with taverns, and their upgrades. Watch closely, and you will see that characters in that settlement become a bunch of drunks! Order suffers as a result, as well as corruption.

Enjoy the game.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Quote Originally Posted by Riman
    I would like to know how long does it take until u finally click the end turn button?

Im interested because i think sometimes iīm too meticulous(is that the word?)
    and so my turns (having some 15-20 provinces) takes 30-60 min when not playing battle!.
    I just canīt force myself not doing the micro management..
    I just canīt be satisfied with what the ai chooses for my cities to build, taxes etc.

And the battles- i almost never use autocalc thinking i would loose some 20 more soldiers than necessary..

it has also some advantages - like when playing the highest difficulty i still never have a problem (except having enought time) to become so dominant on the map that there is no doubt i would win the game.. (though i never conquered the entire map-because it would simply take me too long and would be boring too
    And this makes me mad..

how is it with you?

BTW in MTW sometimes it took me 2-3 hrs per turn with some little battles when i held most of eu

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

With RTW I'd usually spend up to anywhere from 3 - 20 minutes on a turn, depending on the size of my empire and whether or not I was confident my faction's future was safe: in times of trouble, or when my forces were stretched, more time was required before hitting end turn. I also like to keep tabs on exactly what is happening and check on my agents, troop recruiting cities, family members and so forth.

However, with Barbarian invasion and my own mods added, my Romano British campaign was one of intrigue and immense hardship. My enemies' strength combined was far greater than mine, my finances were troubled and I had to plan in advance any attacks, and consider what would occur if neighbouring factions betrayed me or sent large stacks my way. For that campaign, despite only having 5-6 provences, I spent up to half an hour a turn studying the map and considering every move before ending the turn. I had to commit to a plan to survive, and that meant guessing what might occur in the next 3 turns or so. I seldom consider such strategies in normal RTW, but with the limited resources available in the expansion, plus having a faction with few decent units and being massively outnumbered and hated by neighbours from all directions, you need to plan and come up with contigencies to survive.

That was probably my best campaign to date. Reminded me a bit of MTW campaigns of the past.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Talking Re: how long does your average turn take?

It takes me about 30 minutes per turn, I cannot stand automanaging. And yes, ive conquered the entire map before. I was playing the brutii when I did so. It was the longest campign ive ever played (it lasted until 110 b.c.)
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    Im like you Riman, I have to micromanage every little detail and fight every battle personally. I like it that way. My turns usually take about 6 minutes though Ive never had a really big empire. I usually start the campain as someone else before I expand too much.
    Yes, thats why i like the prologue map the best.. map like italy plus dalmatia seems just enought for me :-D

Post Re: how long does your average turn take?

Quote Originally Posted by Riman
    did u manage all settlements? and how about the battles
    I did all of the settlements personally. As for the battles I played most of them, although I didn't include that in my time.

With them included about 20 - 30 minutes.

GarbageMan next door Member Miloshus's Avatar

I am holding 35 provinces and it takes me less than 5 minutes to end a turn (without battles), I dont think much where to attack, well I just attack .
    and I win and often loose too ,...

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Can take me hours per turn when my empire is heading toward victory. Ive taken several evenings, of a few hours each, on some turns. I micromange everything and pause frequently during battles.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526