Thread: Juilii vs. Gaul

Default Juilii vs. Gaul

I've been playing as the Juilii for quite some time now, and I have control of all of upper Italy, a lot of Gaul, some of Germania, and a bit of Illyria. and I currently only have two Gallic cities to conquer to destroy their faction, every time I've attacked their cities, I won, but now having only two cities left they have full armies in and around their cities, so my plan is to bulk up the cities I own that are closest to them's defenses and launch an all-out massive attack on both of their cities. is it a good plan? also just recently the Britons appeared out of no where in Germania, though they don't have many cities on mainland Europe their forces keep increasing, should I be worried?
    http://z8.invisionfree.com/Ages_of_Conflict/index.php?
    - check out my brand new historical ancient war discussion site!

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Default Re: Juilii vs. Gaul

You must worry about Britannia, they will destroy Germania sooner or later.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I've already taken over their lands in mainland Europe, and have Londonium under siege. Britiania is not a threat anymore. Germania still has considerable forces.
    http://z8.invisionfree.com/Ages_of_Conflict/index.php?
    - check out my brand new historical ancient war discussion site!

german spearmen can be sometimes defeated by equites attacking them from the rear. best when they are engaged in the front by hastaty -because otherwise they tend to suddenly turn their pikes in the last moment and then farewell to your equites..
    I gained some heroic victories agains german hordes this way..

Its also good to attack from both directions and stop in the last moment with those on the wrong side of the pikes.

btw your dogs are quite useless against the spearmen warbands..
    Although i think u already know this.. :-P

GarbageMan next door Member Miloshus's Avatar

Gaul, Britania and Germany are weak in RTW, they are no match for Roman legionaries and greek hoplites.

And German spearmen can be defeated by Legionaries from the front

ya. the barbarian hordes are no match for a civilised army of legionaries.legionaries will be able to defeat the spear warband from the front as said, but even hastati with good backup can do. if the hastati break before you can launch a massive equite charge into their 6, you can use principes.after reforms, its even easier.(but you sould have defeated all the barbs[germans, britons, and gauls] before the reforms). hold them with anything above auxilia level. eg. early legionary cohort and up.and thet them do their thing. if they are taking losses, just charge roman, legionary or preatorian(although the latter is not historically correct at all) cavalry into their rear, and any opponents will be crushed by the superior infantry and the totally overpowered roman cavalry.

hope that helps, but i also hope i didnt repeat to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Miloshus
    Gaul, Britania and Germany are weak in RTW, they are no match for Roman legionaries and greek hoplites.

And German spearmen can be defeated by Legionaries from the front
    yes, the spearmen can be defeated from the front, just the equites attacking from flank or rear save some lives of the infantry, esp. when that infantry is just hastati.. and when you battle 1:2-3 battle then such manouvers can turn the tide.
    but i agree with you totally that the barbarians are just gladius fodder..

Germany is weak just because computer is stupid,Germans have the strongest barbarians army and I like the most playing with them,only faction which is stronger then germans is seleucids,they have good combination of all troops,romans are very strong i agread but if you play with the germans and use good tactics even the strongest roman army will be easily destroyed so dont take germany lightly i am realy angry that computer even on very hard play very stupid it is simply not so fun!
    Ok I am finished with the germans,I find that Britons can be realy pain in the ass if thay can conquer half of germany,they would have lot of head hurlers and light chariots which is very anoing,in my campaign with the Julii family I start a war in the every front and my hastati in the pre marios reforms simply cannot match with the british horde,only my great generals coud wone some battles,althoug I must said that I was ocupaid with other fronts,so i was constantly outnumber,when I finally ended war in spain and in western and central gaul,i turn my atention to britons and with two strong army,one from the east with general Decius the mighty and one from the west with general Grachius the conquer i easily destroy them,but I must said that in that time I have post marius troops,witch are much much stronger......
    Sorry for some mistakes in writing

GarbageMan next door Member Miloshus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzar Dusan of Serbs
    Germany is weak just because computer is stupid,Germans have the strongest barbarians army and I like the most playing with them,only faction which is stronger then germans is seleucids,they have good combination of all troops,romans are very strong i agread but if you play with the germans and use good tactics even the strongest roman army will be easily destroyed so dont take germany lightly i am realy angry that computer even on very hard play very stupid it is simply not so fun!
    Ok I am finished with the germans,I find that Britons can be realy pain in the ass if thay can conquer half of germany,they would have lot of head hurlers and light chariots which is very anoing,in my campaign with the Julii family I start a war in the every front and my hastati in the pre marios reforms simply cannot match with the british horde,only my great generals coud wone some battles,althoug I must said that I was ocupaid with other fronts,so i was constantly outnumber,when I finally ended war in spain and in western and central gaul,i turn my atention to britons and with two strong army,one from the east with general Decius the mighty and one from the west with general Grachius the conquer i easily destroy them,but I must said that in that time I have post marius troops,witch are much much stronger......
    Sorry for some mistakes in writing

The Germans are strong only if you play with them, in that part you are correct, but more then half of factions in RTW have better units then Germans, not only the Seleucids, and on Very hard the computer is not much smarter, only thing that changes is that your units become weaker.