Thread: First Game on Very Hard

Default First Game on Very Hard

Having played considerably far into the English Medieval campaign I felt I understood the game enough to go for a harder challenge. And while I understand the game fully, I did not expect just how hard the enemy would be on Very Hard!
    I went the Scots on the Viking Campaign and the first disaster stuck when my province in Ireland rebelled and the rebels decimated me. I then gathered what forces I had and attacked the rebel province south of my lands on mainland Britain. Again, the rebels decimated me!
    Now I never play games on anything less that their hardest unless Im learning how to play it. And Im sure that in Medieval, like in Rome, the AI gets a morale bonus on Very Hard.
    However as an example, I charged a unit of armoured spearmen with two full units of Highland Clansman followed by a cavalry charge in their rear. First of all, the Spearmen weren't even close to breaking and second, they beat up my three regiments so badly that they all fled!
    So what exactly does Very Hard give the AI in Medieval? Steroids?
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

Default Re: First Game on Very Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    Having played considerably far into the English Medieval campaign I felt I understood the game enough to go for a harder challenge. And while I understand the game fully, I did not expect just how hard the enemy would be on Very Hard!
    I went the Scots on the Viking Campaign and the first disaster stuck when my province in Ireland rebelled and the rebels decimated me. I then gathered what forces I had and attacked the rebel province south of my lands on mainland Britain. Again, the rebels decimated me!
    Now I never play games on anything less that their hardest unless Im learning how to play it. And Im sure that in Medieval, like in Rome, the AI gets a morale bonus on Very Hard.
    However as an example, I charged a unit of armoured spearmen with two full units of Highland Clansman followed by a cavalry charge in their rear. First of all, the Spearmen weren't even close to breaking and second, they beat up my three regiments so badly that they all fled!
    Did you put the charging Clansman and Cavalry on wedge formation?
    Did you put the Clansman on "hold" after the charge as well as the Cav?
    Did you repeatedly charged the spearman behind the back with the Cavalry (on wedge)?

You should have left out the 2nd clansman out of the melee as a reserve.

Hammer of the Scots. Member r johnson's Avatar

Very hard sounds hard.
    (\_/) Add the bunny 2 ur sig
    (o.o) and help him achive
    (>.<) global domination!
    (_)(_)

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

Quietus has a good point. Using several units against one is only really effective if the enemy unit is weaker than your own troops, and you want to maximize the number of prisoners.
    However Very hard (or Expert, as it is called in the game) is truly very hard.
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    I assume you're referring to "expert" difficulty? If so then what you're experiencing is the effects of a morale bonus in the favour of the AI. For the beginner this can be quite unfair. For those that understand the nuances of the game, it can be an exploit because the enemy doesn't rout as easily, giving more kills to the player units, and thus greater valour. I'd advise you to stick to the "hard" difficulty. IIRC, If you're auto-calcing battles it will be an even bigger disaster, because that morale bonus is taken into account for autocalc also.
    Last edited by caravel; 11-11-2006 at 22:49.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Caravel is correct. On Expert, the AI gets a +4 morale bonus to their troops in battle, making them much harder to route. I also believe the computer gets a small valour bonus (I want to say it's .3, but don't quote me on that) as well, meaning that the AI's troops have a slightly higher average valour level.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior Member Senior Member gaijinalways's Avatar

The expert level is tough, and often you're going up aganist more than tough peasants .

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

As Martok covered most of it I'll simply add that 30% is supposed to be roughly equal to 1 valour. On hard it's 15% IIRC.

As for the difficulty. After checking out the campaign it shows that my memory is correct. The armoured spearment in that province is valour 2 and led by a 6-star general, making them valour 5.
    Or to put it differently, they would kick your butt even on normal (and as they had morale 4, they wouldn't always rout if hit in the back).

A tip on the battlemap is to check those small extra flags some units have. Those flags represent valour, one flag for each valour. So a unit with a lot of those flags is a very dangerous foe.

And a tip for the Scot's campaign is to take Ireland first. And keep Ulster at all costs! It's a very rich province.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Okay, thanks all.
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

Harbinger of the Doomed Rat Member Biggus Diccus's Avatar

If you think those spearmen were teh pain, then you haven't had some viking raiders pay a visit yet. Jedi Huscarle bodyguard units, I will say no more

Btw: Now I got the sudden urge to start a new MTW campaign again
    Last edited by Biggus Diccus; 11-13-2006 at 07:35.
    General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmaney Melchett: That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

You definitely want to keep Ulster, it is rich and taking out the Irish is either priority 1 or 2 for the Scots (Picts being the other). The province with the rebels on the mainland (Reget?) isn't worth it in the early game, that's a tough fight and I think the province has a high unrest factor. It spawns some nasty troops.

The Scots are tough, Clansmen are nice, but unreliable. You will want to build up clansmen in Ulster to hold the province, and start building Clansmen in Sci as well, since they get a valour bonus there. Build the shrines/chapels in Sci and Ulster to boost morale for troops built there. Have another province work on getting spearmen, you will need spears as an anchor, while you flank with Clansmen. I usually try to tech up to ships in Dal Riada, to support Ulster from the mainland and guard against Viking raids.

One other trick, on turn 1 destroy your Abbeys. You will get 1000 bucks in cash, and it will keep the Vikings off of you. If you leave them, they will attack and you will lose them anyway, along with a lot of troops.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    One other trick, on turn 1 destroy your Abbeys. You will get 1000 bucks in cash, and it will keep the Vikings off of you. If you leave them, they will attack and you will lose them anyway, along with a lot of troops.
    Allying with the vikings and have some decent garrision also works and usually spares you from attacks.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Iv never experianced this ; and I always play on expert. Maybe 4 years of playing make you pretty good.

Just a tip, if your facing a lone unit. Use missiles first, it makes it much more easier.

Thanks for that flag tip, I didnt know that (And have been wondering that exact same thing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I didn't understand the significance of the unit flags myself until a couple years ago. It definitely made me more careful about how I engaged the enemy!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Starting out in expert/very hard is difficult but once I get rolling I rarely see a difference, but make a few bad moves in the beginning and it is almost impossible to recover.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi