Thread: Infantry Charge

Default Infantry Charge

It may be the wrong place to ask that... i hope its not (cuz it seens its the best place to find an answer right now )
    Well, as in RTW i see that i still cant charge a infantry line and keep formation. If im not mistaked you can order your infantry to run in formation(wich is not good as charge, is totally diferent) and you cant order each unit to charge on its own on diferent targets(cuz it will certaily break formation). Im sure you know that if you select a group and double click on the enemy they all will charge on the same unit... broking your formation and turning your army into a bloody mess (wich is without doubt, very very worse). So my question, and i hope its noob question, is: Can you charge a group of units in formation? I mean charge and not just run, i hope you know what i mean.

Default Re: Infantry Charge

Dont know if that is my english, wich, i believe, can be very weird sometimes (dont try to blame me, Nintendo games were my english school :P you cant play zelda without a dictionairy). Allright, you can blame but come on! 62 looks and not a single reply!?

if there's a button for it, I haven't found it yet
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Prussian Musketeer Member Faenaris's Avatar

As far as I know, the only thing that comes close to a charge is the last few meters when a unit charges. So, there are no real "long range" charges, they just run or walk toward the enemy and after that, they charge the last meters.

It is messy sometimes though. I usually walk them to the enemy, that keeps them in better formation.
    Signature by Atterdag

"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?" ("Dogs, do you want to live forever?") - Frederick II of Prussia at the battle of Kolin when adressing his fleeing Prussian soldiers.

Senior Member Senior Member wraithdt's Avatar

In such times like this it helps to read the manual.

From the M2TW manual:

"Battles in Medieval II Total War/ Groups

If you order a group to attack an enemy unit, the units in the group will intelligently assign themselves to attack surrounding enemy units too. A common situation that occurs in the game is when two lines face off against each other. If you group the units in your line, then right-click on the unit in the center of the enemy line, all your units will intelligently match off with the enemy unit facing them."

I don't have the game yet so I can't confirm this. Try it out for yourself and see if it works.

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wraithdt
    In such times like this it helps to read the manual.

From the M2TW manual:

"Battles in Medieval II Total War/ Groups

If you order a group to attack an enemy unit, the units in the group will intelligently assign themselves to attack surrounding enemy units too. A common situation that occurs in the game is when two lines face off against each other. If you group the units in your line, then right-click on the unit in the center of the enemy line, all your units will intelligently match off with the enemy unit facing them."

I don't have the game yet so I can't confirm this. Try it out for yourself and see if it works.
    I never knew that. Is that a new feature? Its pretty cool.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Wow, I didn't notice that passage in the manual. Have to try that.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Senior Member Senior Member wraithdt's Avatar

Let me know how it goes. I'm eager to hear if it works.

Its pretty, but i doubt it works. From experience, i think all units will attack a single target if you do that and your line wiull turn into a ... whatever. But i will try it :), i hope it works now.

Infantry charges in the demo were almost always real messy for me because of pathfinding issues. Maybe someone else can identify with this: much of the time when I tell an infantry unit to attack, only 5 or 10 guys form the unit will actually charge, while the rest of the unit just kind fo sits around wondering about what to do and eventually moving in one by one over an unnecessarily extended period of time.

To @IPose... I feel your pain,man. I had around 300 feudal foot knights against around 120 enemy mailed knights. 30 men made it into combat at a time. On a OPEN PLAIN!!!!! The mailed knights won, despite me having better troops statistically and tactically. Thank you CA, for making my battles harder by not resolving this issue. This happened in BI as well.

PS, on the other hand, you did make a great game, CA. I have to have a reason to whinge :p. Thx for the great game

Stormbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Eques
    Its pretty, but i doubt it works. From experience, i think all units will attack a single target if you do that and your line wiull turn into a ... whatever. But i will try it :), i hope it works now.
    It only works well when the enemy line has a comparable number units in it. When there is a one to one match, it's fine, but when the enemy has more or less units it still gets messy.

Harbinger of the Doomed Rat Member Biggus Diccus's Avatar

I find that when single-click attacking with infantry only the first two lines or so actually engage in combat, the rest just lug around in the back making a defensive stance or whatever. So I now I just double-click the infantry-unit to run behind the enemy unit I want to attack, and then order the attack once the men are on top of the enemy unit.
    General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmaney Melchett: That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

Member Member Mumu Champion Prodigal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus Diccus
    I find that when single-click attacking with infantry only the first two lines or so actually engage in combat, the rest just lug around in the back making a defensive stance or whatever. So I now I just double-click the infantry-unit to run behind the enemy unit I want to attack, and then order the attack once the men are on top of the enemy unit.
    Based on some of the other comments posted that seems the most logical thing to do. As I don't have the game yet, I was wondering if you can "box" units where you have large numerical superiority, so that 2 units engage from the front, one or more from the rear & another set of units from either side.

Has anyone tried it?

I appreciate the micro management of this type of manoever would be a real pain especially in a large battle, but then it would make creating breaks in an enemies line all the more important as you could surround more units faster.

Well, dont know about you but i've tried this "single line charge" and its kind diferent... but they still dont attack in line, they still break formation.
    Ah, i noticed something new :) , you may like it.
    After engage my whole infantry i set a group of 4 french knights under AI assistance. They were strategically behind the enemy lines when i did it and they attacked the rear of the enemy infantry in 4 diferent spots. Most cool: they did it using spears, and after engage the AI pulled them back and recharged!!! And did it about 3 times all alone (without a single click).
    I tryed that again but unafortunately it does not work everytime... but its cool.