Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Oldtimers (2001)?

Default Any Oldtimers (2001)?

Hey , I played this game around 2001 under the alias out4blood/maskedterror/thelonelywolf. Played with magar and loads of kenchi people and won two of the tournaments set up through this forum (have some samurai sword still in my room as one of the prizes).

Anyway , to the point - I was just browsing forums due to medievil 2 comming out and I stumbled on this one... and found some old tournament/tactics threads. And was just wondering , does anybody remember this era ? do they still play ?

some old threads : https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=4278
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=357494
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=4214

excuse me posting like an idiot back then, i was only 14 heh

apologies in advance for the timewarp :)

Rich

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Default Re: Any Oldtimers (2001)?

Hello Maskedterror.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Hi MaskedTerror,

I remember you very well. You played in a 2v2 tournament and eliminated Tosa and me. I don't remember who your ally was, but I do remember the battle because your gameplay was very impressive.

Recently several STW vets developed unit stats for Barocca's STWmod for MTW/VI v2.01 which attempts to recapture the gameplay of original STW. I think we've come quite close to achieving that, and right now we play with a small group on Sundays at 20:00 GMT
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 11-12-2006 at 18:05.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

hello Masked Terror, I remember you also. I had a different alias back then also. (Toda Neb).

I believe your full name was Masked Terror Ito?

If you still have a copy of STW WE or MI you can play on the fakeserver. Not many people but somtimes there are.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hello Masked Terror, I presume we never met :)? Yea, Some of the Old STW vets play the SamWars Mod for VI, and I see Magyar and them on VI every once in awhile ..

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

I'm here only from end of 2004... but there's some people still playing STW MP it has is ups and downs. Right now there's not much of them, but it may become better. Among them is Shin-GaiJin.. I'm pretty sure he was already playing in 2001.. he was in Yagyu clan and that's pretty old iirc.

Anyway, honoured to have you visit

Cya.. perhaps in some stw mp games, perhaps in MTW2..
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Nice to see such a positive response :)

Having gone to many other multiplayer games after stw I feel shogun had one of the best communities and mix of strategies/armies whilst keeping fights balenced enough to be able to say the winner was definately the better player. That kinda mix is very hard to find nowadays :)

I played medievil for a matter of minutes before realising the programmers had messed around with the unit fight/morale coding ... it no longer felt "right" or balenced like shogun did. I think I played the demo of rome also , and that really didnt make a great impression either.

My overall thoughts is that probably many people complained about the instant routing that can occur in shogun , without havent a good grasp of the simple game mechanics... thus resulting in the game becomming too user/newbie friendly. However this is just my opinion formed from brief trials of the games :)

glad to see some of you guys are still true to shogun (the original and best!) :)

sorry to hijack your thread Masked

Drisos I PMed you did you get it?

-----------

Masked maybe we could all play some STW MP games if you can connect to the fakeserver.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would love to play some of you oldtimers on STW or the SamWars mod for VI if I ever get etiher one of them working again :-( :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Drisos
    I'm here only from end of 2004... but there's some people still playing STW MP it has is ups and downs. Right now there's not much of them, but it may become better. Among them is Shin-GaiJin.. I'm pretty sure he was already playing in 2001.. he was in Yagyu clan and that's pretty old iirc.

Anyway, honoured to have you visit

Cya.. perhaps in some stw mp games, perhaps in MTW2..
    Yeah he was playing in 2001, I'm sure hes the only one from Yagyu who still plays anymore (I havent played in ages) and I'm pretty sure he still reads the forums as well.

PS - On that note, Gaijin if you read this, believe it or not I got in contact with Jubei, hes 37 now and happily married! Still playing his music too.

Hi Muneyoshi!

I had some games with him about a month back. Only two though. If you ever have the time, join us

Yeh I'll prolly try medievil 2 in the future , kinda busy at the moment with uni work and trying out LOTR battle for middle earth 2 (good mix of AOE and shogun).

Maybe cu guys online sometime soon :)

Yep I still come here now and then, the old STW community was pretty special and has never and can never be replicated in any subsequent Total War variants. I think it was the 'honour' principle that made it so unique, that and to a large extent a fantastic community of players....great times eh.

WB Masked Terror its good to see you again, hi too Muney mate best regards to Jubei too!

ShinGaiJin

Hi all,

Just reinstalled the game myself, havent found another RTS like shogy since we all played, been kinda occupying some time with MMO's, but nothing lives up to the old shogun community. The subsequent Totalwar games I have found a little stale.

Hope everyone is good, nice to see a few old faces still around! :D

RageFury Hijikata
    "The only certainties in life are that we are born and we die. The rest is just a sea of complexity"

Hello RageFury,

There's a FakeServer for STW WE, and a mod for MTW. Some people are having fun with that.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I may not have been on this forum since 01 but I've been playing since 01(not much online more in lan groups with friends) any ways When i was online i went under an old alias *kingrohante3* its been with me for several years till a recent change to *CowTipp* or *RiotJavolin*
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by RageFury
    Hi all,

Just reinstalled the game myself, havent found another RTS like shogy since we all played, been kinda occupying some time with MMO's, but nothing lives up to the old shogun community. The subsequent Totalwar games I have found a little stale.

Hope everyone is good, nice to see a few old faces still around! :D

RageFury Hijikata
    Hi Fury. Believe it or not, just last week I was wondering what you were doing these days gamewise because we recently released beta 8 of Samurai Warlords for MTW/VI and it's running very well in MP. The quality of the battles have exceeded my expectation of what could be achieved. Using barocca's STWmod for MTW/VI, we got the gameplay as close to original STW as played at 5000 koku as we could. We only had to make some minor adjustments to the original stat due to differences in the MTW engine. We do have a teppo that's 50% stronger than the STW musket. ShingenMitch, ShingeKrypta, CBR and myself worked on the unit stat, and some of the players involved in testing the multiplayer gameplay were AMP, Magyar, Swoosh, Krast, Tosa and about 8 other players from 2000 and 2001. We've been playing this mod at 19:00 gmt on Sundays with a small group, but at other times as well if contacted over MSN.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I think I might have to go this route and join you on the mod Puzz mate, I can't get STW to work on Xp atm, ev en with all the suggestions ont he forums. It's excellent that so many of the old faces are still about, just a shame I lost contact with all the Rages, i miss the old games with Exe, Sword, Storm etc vs Mizu and Wolves and Chaos and such :D

Gonna try find a copy of MTW/VI and see if i can get that working.

-Fury

ragefury2@hotmail.com if any of you guys use MSN :)
    "The only certainties in life are that we are born and we die. The rest is just a sea of complexity"

RageExecutioner Asai. He surely knows how to use his units.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I'm thinking more and more I should have MTW and join you on the mod in MP...

hmmm where to get MTW these days? probably no store that has it?

Hmmm.. could buy eras but it's kind of expensive

btw, RageFury, will add you to msn

Quote Originally Posted by Drisos
    I'm thinking more and more I should have MTW and join you on the mod in MP...

hmmm where to get MTW these days? probably no store that has it?
    I still see MTW Gold for £9.99 sold in games shops in the UK. I suppose it depends on where you are in the world? Have a look at ebay or amazon for a used copy perhaps. Either MTW Gold or the Battle Collection will suffice (the same thing - MTW + VI, the first being the repackaged Sega Release and the second being the original Activision title).

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smtn
    (have some samurai sword still in my room as one of the prizes)
    Although I wasn’t involved in the contest, and did not follow it’s progress at the time, I certainly remember seeing a picture of the proposed sword prize.

Not to long ago in recalling that there had been such a contest, and wondering if it might be a good idea to offer another, I remember wondering about who had actually won that prize.

Happy to hear that it is still a cherished honour.

Congratulations Masked Terror
    Last edited by Tomisama; 10-18-2007 at 12:32.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RageFury
    I think I might have to go this route and join you on the mod Puzz mate, I can't get STW to work on Xp atm, ev en with all the suggestions ont he forums. It's excellent that so many of the old faces are still about, just a shame I lost contact with all the Rages, i miss the old games with Exe, Sword, Storm etc vs Mizu and Wolves and Chaos and such :D

Gonna try find a copy of MTW/VI and see if i can get that working.

-Fury

ragefury2@hotmail.com if any of you guys use MSN :)

Hi RageFury I think you will find that STW will only run on FAT32 files on XP.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Hiya Masked. You probably don't remember me, but I remember you as one of the few guys I didn't mind losing to, because you always gave an extremely challenging and fun battle. Played in the right spirit though I know quite a few thought you an audacious brat, but that's a compliment I reckon ;)

I've still bought the later releases but the gameplay seems to have got progressively worse since the Mongol Invasion. I do enjoy the campaign of the latest one though.

The original STW is the most underrated, and best, game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rath
    I've still bought the later releases but the gameplay seems to have got progressively worse since the Mongol Invasion. I do enjoy the campaign of the latest one though.

The original STW is the most underrated, and best, game ever.
    I couldn't agree more.

Hello Rath.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Hi Tosa.

Just browsing through here, nice to see some familiar names.

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smtn
    Hey , I played this game around 2001 under the alias out4blood/maskedterror/thelonelywolf. Played with magar and loads of kenchi people and won two of the tournaments set up through this forum (have some samurai sword still in my room as one of the prizes).

Anyway , to the point - I was just browsing forums due to medievil 2 comming out and I stumbled on this one... and found some old tournament/tactics threads. And was just wondering , does anybody remember this era ? do they still play ?

some old threads : https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=4278
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=357494
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=4214

excuse me posting like an idiot back then, i was only 14 heh

apologies in advance for the timewarp :)

Rich
    I remember playing you in the big 1v1 tournament in the final. Those were the days. I havent been on here since 2005, I am getting RTW soon, so I will be coming out of retirement soon.

Senior Member Senior Member Kas's Avatar

Hello guys
    On Steam: Kas

JoJoSan, can you forgive me?

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Hi Kas

It's been a long time m8, where you been??
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast