Thread: Prologue / Sons of Mars Campaign

Question Prologue / Sons of Mars Campaign

Hello,

I'm a new player, and finding it hard to get the most out of the campaign game.

Is it worth playing the prologue campaign through to the end? Or should one go on to the Imperial Campaign as soon as "Victoria" has told you all she can?

If it is worth completing, has anyone got any tips or a detailed walk through about how to complete it?

Thanks,

John

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Default Re: Prologue / Sons of Mars Campaign

Welcome to the .org!
    If you arent sure if you are good or you are trying to learn more, play the Prologue.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I actually found the prologue harder than the main campaign. Interestingly enough, I once made a provincial campaign with the SoM map, but starting at odds with the Senate.

I'd recommend playing on a few turns just to get the feel for it, and then head onto the main campaign.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

i also found the sons of mars harder than the imperial campaing.. Maybe because its such a small map and the things go faster than usu. the senate gives you harder missions too - i mean to attack the far south greeks after you seize the first (or second?) city in the north.

but i think it helps much when you first defeat the gauls-otherwise they get too strong.

The good thing about that map is that its small and although you micromanage everithing, it still doesn´t get boring -its so small..

hey, i think that after i get home i start the prologue again.

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Hi

Welcome to the game.

I played the prologue through to the end and didnt find it particulary hard. It doesnt teach you everything. I look back at my first Imperial campaign as Julii and realise how much I still had to learn despite having completed the prologue. I hadnt learnt about Brit chariots, and german spearbands for instance.

One of the most important learnings from the Prologue was financial management. I recall being flush with cash. So kept building new units...soon I was broke every turn and couldnt afford anything. That taught me about financial management and the need to keep expanding in order to keep growing the army.

Good luck and enjoy..whatever you decide to do.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

Thumbs up Re: Prologue / Sons of Mars Campaign

Thanks for the various replies. I think I'm getting the hang of it more now. The difficulty I've been having is that at first, in the tutorial, you are told exactly what to do. You don't want to do anything else in case you disrupt the tutorial scripts. But you tend to carry on a bit blinkered after that - and don't realise you've largely been left to yourself.

Also, it's easy to carry on regarding the Senate as your tutor - and do everything they tell you in the order they tell you. This may not always be a good thing! Although they do seem to pay pretty well.

Severous says he played to the end of the prologue: 50 provinces? Are there really that many on that small map?

Any specific hints/strategies/reminiscences of the prologue campaign would still be most welcome.

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Hi

The prologue map is not the standard RTW campaign map.

You are spot on....It doesnt have 50 regions. The victory conditions published in the prologue campaign are not therefore strictly correct. There are not 50 provinces to capture.

You win when you have captured all the provinces. (Sicily is one province). That was the last one I captured.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

Signifer, Cohors II Legio II Member Comrade Alexeo's Avatar

Actually, one should note that it is impossible to actually conquer the entire map in the Prologue, as there are more territories than you need for victory condition. You can, however, actually have your very own "dress rehearsal" of the Civil War - you can attack the Scipii and Senate !

Personally, I enjoyed playing the Prologue, and have redone it on several occassions; it just seems more personal, probably because it's a bit more story-driven because the Senate is actually somewhat involved this time.

Keep in mind that you don't actually have to listen to the Senate; you won't break anything by ignoring them if you decide to, say, invade Thrace instead of bother with southern Italy

And it still teaches you stuff, oddly... I redid the Prologue a few days ago because I was bored, and I realized that if, after taking Tarquinii, I built myself a ship, then when the Senate ordered me to take that southern Greek city I could just put my army in the boat, sail down there in two turns, and be able to reach the city in time to lay a longer siege and let starvation kill off a few more foul Greeks
    Signifer Titus Vorenus
    Cohors II Legion II
    Triana Fortis

http://www.geocities.com/tuccius2112...ianaindex.html