Thread: Why Herakles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why Herakles?

For the Seleukid standard, why Herakles? Is it because of the reverse on Antiochos I's coins? Why not Zeus or the seated Apollo?

Post Re: Why Herakles?

I would presume that it is not Apollo/Zeus due to the fact the the Seleukid empire only had a small minority of people who followed the classical Greek pagan faith. Most (remember that it did used to be Persian) people in it would have followed Persian gods and worshiped other local deities.

Default Re: Why Herakles?

It appears very often on Seleukid coinage, so much as to be interpreted as one of their most commonly used symbols. Also the ties of Heracles with the east, all through bactria and even to india, are much more common than those of apollo. Also, probably for a little variety - since epeiros has zeus, and so does baktria.

Ah, cool.

While I'm at it, would you mind answering another question, TA?

I've been reading Holt's Thundering Zeus and just finished the part where he discusses the wreath on the Thundering Zeus coinage of the Diodotids. Does that not make the wreath in Baktria's standard anachronistic in the context of EB's start date?

Probably. For a few years at least. That's a good eye mate. I don't think we'll bother taking that down though - it has to represent the faction for its duration, and it's a minor (but interesting) point. It's a great book isn't it? Especially when you get through, going through Sidky's gives you a really good base for telling where Sidky is getting too creative and when he's well supported. Either way, I enjoyed both books, but rely on Holt's a lot more if there is a question. The whole general's banner is a little bit of an homage to Holt's book probably.

I guess I'll just have to win some fantastic battles as Batkria then.