Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M2TW bugs MP only

Default Re: M2TW bugs MP only

Some improvements/balancing issues are very personal ones:

• Bugs:
      • Bills and some other 2 handed weapons not being able to kill cavalry. They don't use any attack animation.
      • Musketeers/Arquebusiers behavior, they can't fire properly with skirmish off + more than 2 ranks.
      • Lag in battles.
      • Units charging with 10 men while the rest just watch the battle.
      • Delay when units receive orders.
      • Lack of unit cohesion.
      • Artillery units not firing with "fire at will" on unless you select a target.
      • Cavalry charges killing entire infantry unis no matters which charge bonus they have. (Fixing shield bug helps, see below).
      • Cavalry not suffering casualties at all vs a pike wall if you click behind the pikemen instead of charging them. (Infantry doesn't suffer casualties being used in this way either).
      • You cannot use the cantabrian circle to shoot another horse archer that is using it too.
      • Double click sometimes doesn’t seem to work.
      • Troops fight better being downhill than uphill (not sure 100% this one).
      • Units changing unit's deep formation after alt+right click.
      • Armies losing their formation after a alt+right click, using [,] and [.], etc .
      • When you order ranged units to shoot an specific target, sometimes they run towards this target instead of firing (and no, I don't press Alt+right click).
      • In the logfile, the unit cost is reported wrongly. Also only the two most recent logs are kept.
      • Different language versions not being compatible with others.
      • Users with download versions of the game are not be able to play against users with DVD versions (and vice versa).
      • Not in MP so far but in custom: replays are not accurate.
      • Some players cannot join battles with more than 2 players: connection is lost 9/10 times during pre-battle screen phase before deployment. Those players need to be host in order to play team battles. Note that this one does not happen in 1v1.
      • Cavalry always using swords to charge against missile units and retreating units (I think it's fixed with the 1.1 patch).
      • Money: sometimes you have to set several times the amount because the game doesn't record it.
      • Athlon Xp issues.
      • When you set the difficulty to HARD or VERY HARD, it switches itself back to MEDIUM automatically as you are moving forward to the army selection screen. (Not verified, supposely fixed in 1.1 patch)
      • Shield stats are broken: the supposed bonus is in fact a malus in melee. See this thread for details.

• Improvements:

• Best sprites to distinguish friends from foes and living soldiers from corpses. (I already know the use of shield button, but I need to play with minimal UI + arrow markers disabled).
      • An specifical banner for general's unit.
      • Implementation of RTW feature: Ctrl+Shift+number to store groups, Alt+number to recall
      • Better performance to allow low spec machines play at least 3v3 without lag with all settings at minimum (preferable 4v4).
      • More information to join a game: I need to know which Era has the host chosen.
      • Weather settings available for every map.
      • The button "start-battle" not overwriting the unit-description.
      • Amend when writing a message to other players in deployment, pushing enter sometimes causes your deployment phase to end.
      • On the result-screen, player's names should be displayed instead the names of the captains.
      • Better size/contrast for quickchat letters in battle.
      • Exhaustion bar in units cards.
      • Missile soldiers should start firing once they reach their position and not waiting for the rest of their unit's men to come.
      • When you double click on an unit card or the unit itself, it zooms right, but with an overhead looking down view. It would be better if the cam keep the angle. Having to change continously it using [+] and [-] can be annoying.
      • Missile accuracy should change with distance.

• Balancing:
      • More logical outcomes (no more peasants defeating armoured sergeants) - Fixing shield bug helps.
      • Cavalry is too strong at the moment: the more cavalry you pick, the more chances you have to win: their mobility plus charging capacity is devastating and should not be as cheap as infantry.
      • Charges effect seems to be too high, not only cavalry but also infantry.
      • Spears useful: other infantry units can kill cavs as fast as them. In 1.0 there's no reason to take them.
      • Range of muskets and accuracy of gunpowder units tweaked: muskets' range looks very high. Gunpowder accuracy is incredible Vs distant units.
      • Valour upgrading in multiplayer battles should be removed.
      • Some infantry units should be the "antipike" unit. In 1.0 pikes are too strong Vs all kind of infantry, and at low cost - maybe related with shield bug.
      • Exhaustion (medium difficulty): very severe for infantry units going uphill in comparison with cavalry. Exhaustion due to running seems very low, (In 1.0 I prefer running all the time as I don't get tired, I see no point in going walking to keep my troops fresh). Desert exhaustion should be huge for heavily armoured units, standing and moving. Snow exhaustion should be huge for heavily armoured units when moving (this one I don't know if it can be implemented with the actual engine). Still more testing is needed for higher difficulties.
      • Something is missing in Forlorn Hope: 2 HP, 60 men... It can't be right as it is now.
    Last edited by CeltiberoMordred; 01-15-2007 at 12:46.

"The game [M2TW] is actually more balanced than rock/paper/scissor. Combinations that work: rock vs rock - paper vs paper - scissor vs scissor.
    A new frontier that wipes off a bunch of old concepts"
    - Machiavelli69

"Shogun was chess, vi was chequers rome was tiddlywinks and mtw2 musical chairs." - Swoosh So

Did not saw it mentioned in this thread.

Nor am I too sure if it should be classified as a bug still, it was considered that way back then. Unsure if it is still so.

Anyways.. the valour upgrading during battle rather than after it, is around again (no surprise, but I am surprised I did not saw it mentioned in this thread).

Good point Tempi, I will add this to the list.

"The game [M2TW] is actually more balanced than rock/paper/scissor. Combinations that work: rock vs rock - paper vs paper - scissor vs scissor.
    - Machiavelli69

"Shogun was chess, vi was chequers rome was tiddlywinks and mtw2 musical chairs." - Swoosh So

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

Very good list from Mordred.
    I can only copy it!
    I'd add that it's 4v4 normal size that is the eventual goal for lagless battle.

Personnaly, I think that cavalry charging behaviour (being too powerfull), billmen animation problems (being useless), Athlon issues, lack of playable 4v4 normal size are all show stoppers.

I don't believe there is any chance MTW II MP will be a good competitive MP game on the long term if this is not fixed. It's fun to play right now, mostly for nostalgy value, a bit of novelty value, but on the long run, if that is not fixed, I don't think it's going to fly.

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

I've added the Athlon XP issue and the availability of 4v4 for everybody. Thanks Louis.

Any other suggestion? I think this kind of information can be very useful for CA in order to get a better multiplayer experience. Please, if you find other bugs, issues, exploits, etc., post it here, it would be much appreciated.

- Machiavelli69

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

taken from a thread in Citadel about Update1, I highlighted fixes that (probably) affect MP.
    ==================================

Medieval 2:Total War Update 1

Major Fixes
    ========

-Fix crash in Deathtrack MP map with empty Team 3 slot
    -Fixed Battle AI - armies not engaging enemies at close range.
    -Fixed CTD when client attempts to join game that the host is ending.
    -Fixed instances when A.I is passive on the campaign map and lets the user win on a campaign battle when stuck in-front of open gates.
    -Fixed loop between the windows for 'Possible Connection Problems' and 'Really Quit?'
    -Fixed AI: Calvary not charging a spearmen army in a Custom Battle.
    -Fixed cavalry not attacking - instances when AI sieges a town with infantry and Calvary, if the infantry die and rout and the player still holds the city, the cavalry do not attack nor rout.
    -Fixed passive Siege Attack AI
    -Fixed Timurids crash (related to elephant artillery not having enough riders, CTD when trying to shoot)
    -Fixed Siege Attack AI trying to attack the back of settlements.
    -Fixed Passive attack AI
    -Fixed Cavalry charge consistency and power. (Still raise and lower lances occasionally)
    Added ModTool Unpacker
    -Fixed Crash - Auto resolving a siege battle on Gaza and repeatedly Right - Clicking the settlement
    -Fixed Merchant Resource value dropping after load/save
    -Fixed CTD caused by Turks AI
    -Fixed Cavalry not flanking spear walls
    -Fixed AI not crossing river to attack (River Jordan)
    -Reduced the effect of morale - enemy AI does not rout so easily
    -Reduced the power of inquisitors
    -Fixed 'move to point' crash
    -MP Multinational support
    -Fixed Cavalry sallying out and not attacking (bunching at corner of settlement)

Medium Level Fixes
    =============

-Fix construction crash when converting settlements when buildings relating to initial settlement existed in construction queue.
    -Fixed Settlement still showing as under siege even though sieging army had been defeated.
    -Fixed repeating missions
    -Fixed indecisive infantry / broken formation (when ordered to a location they would head in the wrong direction first)
    -Fixed being able to open gates with siege towers or embed them in walls
    -Fixed victory video not always appearing
    -Diplomacy - AI no longer counters an open proposition with a gift.
    -Fixed deployment lines being rendered incorrectly around ambient buildings
    -Fixed Enemy units remain stationary with flags flashing when ladders are thrown off a destroyed wall in a siege.
    -Fixed the carroccio standard not fitting through gates
    -Fixed gunpowder units being stuck reforming
    -Fixed trebuchets disappearing and reappearing when zooming
    -Tweaked morale system
    -Partially fixed units moving through settlement buildings.
    -Units now check if destination is in a building or not.
    -Enabled command-line switch to allow unlimited soldiers (removes message)
    -Fixed MP player-names being lost on battle results screen if they quit the battle early
    -Fixed the ability for a user to 'buff' their assassin experience by continually assassinating different captains

Other Fixes
    ========

-Fix difficulty level in MP (Affects Morale). Previously defaulting to Normal.
    -Fix lobby tooltip that showed incorrect unit sizes.
    -Fix Florins display during diplomacy
    -Fix Money field looping into negative/positive value when removing / adding money
    -Fix overlapping and incorrectly sized deployment zones
    -Fixed cut-off graphics in civil disorder message
    -Fixed unclear 'Start Diplomacy' button functionality
    -Fixed MP Admit Defeat button functionality
    -Fixed missions showing as expired even though they have been completed
    -Fixed mouse-overs showing incorrect diplomatic information
    -Fixed minor FE Historical Battle error (shield remaining highlighted)
    -Fixed MP team chat - colours now match recipient and sender.
    -Fixed minor audio issue - Audio: Campaign Map when an English Spy is ordered to join an English army he triggers two "Joins_Army" speeches.
    -Fixed minor audio issue - Campaign Map when an English Merchant is ordered to disembark a boat, two "Movement_Disembark" speeches are triggered.
    -Fixed Mine income
    -Fixed MP ignore/ban toggle permanently banning player from chat
    -Fixed - Making an offer gives a blank scroll on the Diplomacy Scroll, but removing the offer gives the player help text
    -Fixed Mouse Cursor not updating when over certain parts of the UI.
    -Fixed miscalculation of some naval unit movement points.
    -Fixed units not leaving an army when ordered to abandon it.
    -Fixed 'Possible Connection Problems' message not appearing if user alt-tabs
    -Fixed On campaign map, castles appear under 'town' or 'city' title on UI
    -Fixed Reinforcements box remains greyed when the user deselects 'Attempt a night battle'
    -Fixed double speed on units that should only go at one speed.
    -Fixed Stakes not appearing correctly in weather conditions
    -Fixed non-functional help button on ransom scrolls
    -Fixed intro movies playing at x3 speed in Historical battles
    -Fixed transfer army functionality - When transferring men the transfer resets after viewing the description
    -Fixed Gunpowder units running forward when given targets.
    -Fixed clumping units when they are told to do a 180 degree turn
    -Fixed stuck Camera issues
    -Fixed Fleeing units rallying at breached walls or gates of settlements they are attacking when they should not
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

The key issues I didnt see addressed

-MP lag (maybe for Update2?)
    -Athlon XP problem (maybe for Update2?)

and improvements which can be made quite easily

-ctrl+shift grouping
    -weather selection for all maps
    -better hosted game info like era
    -movable "start deployment"
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

The fix list in indeed disappointing. I wonder what is the change to cavalry charge power.

However, CA is not good with fix lists, they were often some changes that were not reported, so who knows what the actual change will be...

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Quote Originally Posted by Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
    The fix list in indeed disappointing. I wonder what is the change to cavalry charge power.

However, CA is not good with fix lists, they were often some changes that were not reported, so who knows what the actual change will be...

Louis,
    someone just needs to go through that list after the patch is released and test them all to see which they've actually fixed. Then give them the remaining list with any new bugs to fix for update 2.

Senior Member Senior Member ElmarkOFear's Avatar

I think they were just focusing on the major connection, CTD issues and threw in the quick-fixes they could so they could get the 1st patch out to allow more people to just play the MP game.

The next patch will take longer to make/test, but will hopefully address some of the more difficult to program problems.

Though the so-called fix to making cavalry charges consistent and powerful has me a bit concerned. The wording isn't very clear as to what they might have done, but if it makes the charge more powerful, then it will unblance the MP game even further in the cav's favor. :(

Will be interesting to test.
    I have seen the future of TW MP and it is XBox Live!

Cav in 1.1 apears to be just as powerfull than before, stronger charge is even easyer to pull off. On the other hand I beleave they improved spears units bonus against them, so they kill them faster, IF they catch them, since cavalry retreat afther charge is just as effective as before.

Another thing that bothers me (not much since I always liked them back in mtw) are mountedxbows. They are better than any single harcher unit. They shot better, they beat any (about) same cost unit and are faster than any stronger harcher unit, only good counter against them are fast cheap cav and fast jinetes-like units. And there arent much factions with them. Now the problem is that they are ment to be poormans horsearcher, now strong faction also have best horse shooters.

There is another patch coming in the next year.
    ''Constant training is the only Way to learn strategy.''

Quote Originally Posted by CeltiberoMordred

Bills and some other 2 handed weapons not being able to kill cavalry. They don't use any attack animation.[/list]
    • Lag in battles.
    • Delay when units receive orders.
    • Cavalry charges killing entire infantry unis no matters which charge bonus they have.
    • Cavalry not suffering casualties at all [vs a pike wall - with any unit -] if you click behind the pikemen instead of charging them. (Infantry doesn't suffer casualties being used in this way either).
    • When you order ranged units to shoot an specific target, sometimes they run towards this target instead of firing (and no, I don't press Alt+right click).
    I've noticed these bugs still in v1.1 patch

And that's the reason for the second patch.

PS. Let's hope so..
    ''Constant training is the only Way to learn strategy.''

AO Viking's Tactician Member Lucjan's Avatar

I'm having problems logging into multiplayer at all. I have a gamespy id but the problem is that it tells me I have an invalid cd key. My cd key came with the box, there's no way it can be invalid. I don't see an option like they had in Rome to check if maybe I input the cd key incorrectly either, so I can't seem to fix it.

Anybody know how to fix this?

im one of those who has had a problem with making deployment phase on a 2v2 battle but i can host a 2v2 battle it just happens when i join one.

the issue is in the list you had at the halfway mark of the thread. i have downloaded the v1.1 version and it is happening. its funny because when the game had first been released the first thing i did was hit the lobby and i could join and play 2v2.

i figure the people here on the org might have a little more knowledge about issues. but im assuming it is some kind of bug issue because it was in the list i read.

I just wanted to reinforce the problem with game droppers that have connection problems.

It might be Athlon XP users, but i dont know if the 2 are connected.
    Some people still have to host team games if htey want to play in them, unless it's a 1v1.

Yes, the fact that when I host a 4v4 I can play it with no lag, but when i join someone elses 2v2 the game drops is pretty ridiculous.

wondered if that was connected because i do have an amd athlon processor. i was wondering what the issue was about them that was mentioned in the list but how would sega or gamespy go about resolving that. as far as i know all my ports are open so it does get pretty frustrating. there is a thread in the support request forum on the official forums where 4 people have talked about it so it seems to be more widespread then i thought it was.

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

I have an AMD Athlon XP and can host and play 2v2 with no problems.
    Have not CTD or dropped from a game pre or post patch to date.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jochi Khan
    I have an AMD Athlon XP and can host and play 2v2 with no problems.
    Have not CTD or dropped from a game pre or post patch to date.
    Even if you join instead of host? The problem is: many of us have to host in order to play. Joining is not an option :(.
    Last edited by CeltiberoMordred; 01-06-2007 at 15:46.

- Machiavelli69

It is particularly annoying when two peope trying to play each other have the same problem. Me and my clan mate where trying to do a 2v2 against Devotio, and one of them had the same problem, he could play when he hosted and I could play when I hosted, but since neither of us could join the others game, we couldnt play each other :(. This could be a real problem in tournaments and it would be really nice if they could tell us what to do to fix it.

i look at it like this. if i can join 4 or more player games in rome total war and i cant in mtw2 total war than it has to be a server issue. i have all the good stuff that total war games like. soundblaster and gforce card. amd athlons right now are good processors. i think if it is in some way hardware related it can still be worked around through the sega server to make the 4 player plus games more accessible like they are in rome.

it just makes sense now that i have been thinking about it.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Wouldnt it be nice to at least play with default sized units instead of small? You can sometimes but in general no.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Don´t have enough sources to confirm this issue, but regarding MP, it seems when trying to enter LAN Battles, the game suddenly freeze so I have to boot "the hard way"...

I´m using Hamachi for building up my virtual network, but theoretically it would be no difference if you also made a local network connection. However I havn´t tested this. Patch 1.1 runs well, but not 1.2.

/Cerxes.

UPDATE: It was I that made a mistake when I configured my new installed firewall. By mistake I closed the port for one of the protocols. Therefore the system frozed and I had to reboot. So there´s no problem with the 1.2 patch regarding the above described situation. Sorry for the inconvenience, my mistake. /Cerxes.
    Last edited by Cerxes; 05-03-2007 at 20:57.
    How To: Multiplayer with Hamachi Hamachi M2TW Networks

M$ gives you Windows, *nix gives you the whole house... OpenSolaris & FreeBSD

when joining large mp game stall before deployment phase bug still there

it may b this warman ---
    i had 2 do 2 system restores last week there i was of of mtw 2 for 2 r 3 days
    cause i played cod 4
    and i didnt realise it but my windows had done an update on my security
    and f***** my router settings etc
    i just done a few restores instead o fukin wi the router thats if uv got 1 like
    however wk s deaths lost soul had teh same prob ..
    damn updates on windows watch out...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12