Thread: admin. rights needed?

Default admin. rights needed?

not sure if I should post this here, feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate spot.

I noticed that (when trying to play on my laptop) the gold demo wouldn't start up, giving me a message that with Windows 2000 /XP I needed administrator rights in order to be able to play.

No big deal, I just installed on my desktop at home instead. Now, I'm about to be sent on an assignment of a couple of weeks, with only my laptop.... so here's the question: anybody knows if this admin. rights requirement that applied to the demo will also apply to the game? Call me lazy but I'd rather not install the game on my laptop for nothing.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Default Re: admin. rights needed?

I can't say for certain, but nearly all games require administrator rights to install under Windows XP.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Why don't you just login as administrator, install it and then log in with your normal account to play?

for the demo it required admin rights to play, not install. besides, on my laptop I'm not sure if I can even login as admin (the evil IT department is trying to block and control everything!).

Nobody knows a short-cut around this?

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Ah sorry, I misread your post. Well, I have no idea if the game requires you to be logged in as an admin but it would be strange to do so. You don't have to install any software or change the registry for playing so I don't really see a reason for that.

Odd that it let you install.

Usually by default an account without Administrative rights wont let you install anything. If it's a locked down machine by an IT department it wouldnt surprise me you're having issues with it.

I agree it seems strange. Still, the demo required it. Hopefully it was just the demo.... even though playing on my laptop is not topnotch, I don't know how I will cope being without MTWII for weeks....

Research Shinobi Senior Member Tamur's Avatar

M2TW isn't out till tomorrow here, but this would indeed be a strange thing, being able to install it but not play it under a non-Administrator account.

My primary machine is a laptop, so I'll be watching this thread for any better info!
    "Die Wahrheit ruht in Gott / Uns bleibt das Forschen." Johann von Müller