Thread: Should I kill my DVD burner?

Default Should I kill my DVD burner?

Well, I've had problems some years ago with my DVD drive so I got a new and fancy Benq DVD DW 1640 DVD Burner which solved all those problems.
    Now this thing is somewhat old as well and problems arise again. I sometimes have problems reading magazine DVDs, Gothic 3 needed Nero Burning ROm uninstalled and around 6 tries until it installed somewhat correctly(that means the installation routine didn't abort with some CRC error).

Today I bought M2TW, which comes on two DVDs and the startup menu needed quite some time to load from DVD, after that the installation always showed CRC errors and while retrying worked on the first one or two, later I could only say ignore, to stop an endless circle. Needless to say the game won't start now...

So I wonder whether I always get broken DVDs or my DVD burner simply cannot read them correctly?
    Benq doesn't have any drivers AFAIK and now I wonder whether there may be any way to get it working or if not, what otzher drive should I get or what is a decent company concerning DVD burners?

edit: I also had a problem installing another program lately that comes on a CD, it always worked before but this time it only worked when Nero Burning ROM was not installed.
    And I do not have Nero installed right now, M2TW doesn't install anyway.
    Last edited by Husar; 11-13-2006 at 17:45.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Re: Should I kill my DVD burner?

I have found some firmwares and drivers for your BenQ DW 1640 over here, Husar. Maybe you'd like to give it a try. Regarding that you have a new driver on continuous reading problems, I could not come up with anything else than upgrading your driver's firmware.

Default Re: Should I kill my DVD burner?

Thanks, installed it but didn't help.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Default Gah. Same problems.

Husar

Similar problems I have with my NEC 3500AG with RTW CDs and money movies (DVDs) which I rent from local DVD club. I will buy next week Pioneer DVR111D. It reads everything from what I know.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.