Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments and Suggestions.

Default Comments and Suggestions.

If you have any comments on this forum, or suggestions, please post them here.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: Comments and Suggestions.

Maybe someone could post here at the very beginning how to unlock factions. I know from the RTW Guides that this is a constantly repeated question. Maybe it is even worth to copy it at the beginning of each faction, where it is said: this faction has to be unlocked.

EDIT: I see that this is already done. Sorry, that I had not looked before.

P.S.: Thanks to frogbeastegg for moderating this new one. The service is getting even better. I will try not to spam it!
    Last edited by Franconicus; 11-14-2006 at 11:34.

Thumbs up Re: Comments and Suggestions.

there is a mod for that already.
    "Our march at present, and set our thoughts on battle, which has been our constant wish; let us then meet the foe with resolute souls. We shall not hereafter easily find such an opportunity." Gaius Julius Caesar.

There is a mod for that already ;)
    "Our march at present, and set our thoughts on battle, which has been our constant wish; let us then meet the foe with resolute souls. We shall not hereafter easily find such an opportunity." Gaius Julius Caesar.

There's a slight issue with a setting in this forum. All new posts go into a moderation queue, and wil lonly appear once approved. This isn't how we want things, and it will be addressed as soon as an admin logs on. In the meantime I'll try and check the moderation queue often, and approve posts so they appear.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

My mistake, skipped a toggle. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Miss Frog,

May we have an economics thread included?

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

Only if there is an exisiting one of suitable depth and completion which can be transferred over. Discussion and research belong over in the main M2TW forum; this forum is more of a repositry.

Post Re: Comments and Suggestions.

A unit/building guide would be nice.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Hey Frog, I know you must have heard this a least a million times but will you ever start a M2TW guide ?

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Maybe someone could check on the "magic number" when it comes to cash and the bad traits start. Is it 50.000 like in RTW or 13.000 like in BI??

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    Hey Frog, I know you must have heard this a least a million times but will you ever start a M2TW guide ?

Now will you?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Just kidding Don't throw hairpins at me, I'm allergic to it, it gives me red dots on my skin
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Guide? Did I hear the word guide?

There are no frogs in these here parts, no siree!

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

I think a general tips guide would be good. Something filled with very general tips, such as: to avoid backstabbing allies, create alliances with those on the other side of the map!
    Maybe as the game progresses and diplomacy starts to mean something, a diplomacy guide would be a very good tool/reference point for those of us who may be tactically gifted, but are complete and utter *insert random embarrasing phrase here* at diplomacy.
    (I still have yet to get the game in the mail, I always ask the post man if he has a package adressed to me. Sadly, he does not, so I still wait, but what I listed above is what I've gathered from other accounts and previous TW games)

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

There's a topic like that in the main M2TW forum, here. Which reminds me - I should add a link to it in this forum.

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Alright, thanks.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Voice Crying in the Wilderness Member Bullethead's Avatar

Dear Frog

How about adding a thread for the playable Mongols and Timurids, which can become available with mods? I'm thinking that since BI, this might be a worthwhile thing for in here.

Also, how about arm-twisting somebody into doing a Moors guide? Given my horrible experience in MTW with the Elmoheads, it would be nice to see if it's possible to expunge that embarassment ;)
    -Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria

And by chance, if the enemy routs, you come upon some nubile nymph or doxy that strikes your fancy, remember: Hands off! Rank has its privileges. I pick first! - Ferrano the Chivalrous, Conqueror of Marakesh

If someone tells me how to make those factions playable then a thread can be made.

I think that you wont be able to play as the mongols for the simple factt hat they dnt have a starting province, like u couldnt play as the romano britsih faction in BI
    And he rose, and spoke forth, "Go my warriors, go forward to victory!"

Voice Crying in the Wilderness Member Bullethead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    If someone tells me how to make those factions playable then a thread can be made.
    The other day I saw a post in the main forum where somebody had stated he'd been able to make the Mongols and Timurids playable. This thread had been moved into the main forum from somewhere else or vice versa (it said MOVED on it, but I can't tell in which direction). But anyway, because some moderator obviously did something to the thread, I figured you already knew about it :)
    -Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria

And by chance, if the enemy routs, you come upon some nubile nymph or doxy that strikes your fancy, remember: Hands off! Rank has its privileges. I pick first! - Ferrano the Chivalrous, Conqueror of Marakesh

It's probably in the modding section now...
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Hi all.

Long time no see. Glad the sites still around :)

I have writen a lot of guides on my own site and i usually share the links or material with other sites. I think a general guides thread would be useful here.

"Links only" would keep it nice and neat since m2tw is a huge game and any general guides are going to be very long indeed. Nation guides will repeat a lot of the same stuff due to the nature of the game too. So many of the threads that exist in here are going to contain the same information or if that info is skipped, they will miss a lot of info thats actually needed.

If you decide to start a general guides thread, heres my contibution.

http://www.respawn.co.uk/content/view/416/70/

You can either link or cut and paste the entire guide, not sure how you prefer to do this sort of thing but linking allows the author to make updates without creating work for you guys.

I'll be hanging around the modding forum catching up with a few old mates if anybody wants me :)

Giskard

The Forum is nice in the fact that each Total War game is split up into different area's. Is there anyway to create or perhaps there already is a way to see all newThread's of the day in each of the Total War game sections? New news and a link back to the that area of interest of the reader. We have something like this option in our forum. Cheers all, enjoying the reads!

How about a guide on papal relations. Questions to be answered:

Does sacking/exterminating a catholic town affect pope relations? Is exterminating worse?
    Does executing catholic prisoners affect relations?
    How about if the faction is excommed catholics.

Can the Pope tell offensive from defensive maneuvers? is continuation of a pre-existing siege an offensive maneuver? are character actions (merchant wars, assassinations, sabotage) considered offensive or does the pope not care.

How many crosses you get if you vote for the "correct" pope? How many do you lose for the wrong vote?

How many crosses needed to get a crusade commissioned?

How many crosses can you get while still excommed? Can you launch a crusade in that case?

What is the best way to bribe the pope? money? map info? a territory?
    The plural of anectode is not data - Anonymous Scientist

I don't believe in superstition. It brings bad luck. - Umberto Eco

The Complete Guide to Naval Warfare:

There are 17 various vessels in all, spread across 4 tech levels. Unlike your land forces, which you command personally, the computer automatically calculates all engagements at sea. Thus, it is of the utmost importance that your fleets be of higher quality, and if this is not possible, then they should greatly outnumber your foe. It was thought that a guide would thus be of great use in learning how your own captains compare to your rivals.

Name - Attack/Defense/Soldiers - Factions

Tier 1 Vessels:

Dhow - 5/6/25 - Moors, Egyptians, Turks
    Cog - 5/8/25 - English, Scottish, French, Germans, Polish, Hungarians, Spanish, Portuguese
    Longboat - 8/5/25 - Danes
    Galley - 8/7/25 - Venetians, Milanese, Sicilians
    Lad'ya - 10/4/37 - Russians
    Dromon - 7/9/37 - Byzantines

Tier 2 Vessels:

Holk - 10/12/37 - English, Scottish, Russians, French, Germans, Polish
    Dragon Boat - 12/10/37 - Danes
    War Galley - 12/12/37 - Hungarians, Spanish, Portuguese, Venetians, Milanese, Sicilians, Moors, Turks, Egyptians
    Fire Ship - 16/10/37 - Byzantines

Tier 3 Vessels: (Gunpowder)

Gun Holk - 16/16/37 - English, Scottish, Danes, Russians, French, Germans, Polish
    Lanternas - 18/18/50 - Byzantines, Hungarians, Spanish, Portuguese, Milanese, Sicilians, Moors, Turks, Egyptians
    Galleass - 26/20/50 - Venetians

Tier 4 Vessels: (Ocean-faring)

Caravel - 15/15/37 - Spanish, Portuguese
    Baghlah - 18/22/62 - Moors, Turks, Egyptians
    Carrack - 30/30/62 - Byzantines, English, Scottish, Danes, Russians, French, Germans, Polish, Hungarians, Venetians, Milanese, Sicilians
    Grande Carrack - 35/35/75 - Spanish, Portuguese

Factions with Admiralty Building: English, Danes, Portuguese

===============

Summary: Tier 1 Ships focus on using archers to disable enemy sails, followed by ramming and boarding actions. As such, the two Orthodox factions have a significant advantage with their larger ships. Both the Russians and the Byzantines build Tier 2 sized vessels at the Tier 1 level. The 3 Italian factions possess respectable power with their Galleys, the Danish Longships are still better than the North European Cogs, and the Muslim factions at least have something to move troops in that is slightly better than a log raft.

At the second Tier the Byzantines still firmly control naval technology. Most ships of this level incorporate light artillery fire and heavier marine contingents. The Byzantines with their Greek Fire thus possess a clear advantage. However, the Muslim factions and the Iberian factions have made great strides forward so that they are on a comparable level with the Italians. Northern Europe, excepting Hungary however, still lags far behind... and the Danes seafaring traditions only make them slightly better.

With the advent of gunpowder a slight shift in power becomes noticeable. Gunsmithing technologies now determine the ease with which your ships sink the enemy. Venice, with its advanced cities, thus is now the clear leader of the pack. The majority of other factions are clustered just behind, and the Northern European powers still lag while fielding ships at essentially a Tier lower in size.

Finally, in the latest stages of the game oceangoing vessels become available and bring about another shift in the balance of powers. Vessels here begin to focus on delivering large broadsides of cannonfire. Spain and Portugal are a whole level above their competition, while the Muslim powers fall far, far behind. Every other faction is grouped together with a sharing of similar technology.

In conclusion, in the long run, Portugal is the greatest naval power with two ocean-going vessels; one for troop ferrying and exploration, and another for naval engagements. Both are capable of being upgraded at Portugal's Admiralty, which leaves the Spanish a close second. The Muslim factions are easily the worst navies. They place lowest at both the start and finish, with their Baghlah being so horrible when compared to Carracks that a Muslim player should obviously make it a point to achieve victory before ocean-faring vessels become available. Venice and the Byzantines are both solid performers, performing well in all eras and reigning supreme in some. Sicily and Milan do not particularly excel in any era, but neither do they lack. The Northern European factions are completely outclassed until ocean-faring vessels become available and depending on the players style may very likely tie the Muslim factions for their landlubbery ways.
    Last edited by SMZ; 12-08-2006 at 11:41.
    Drink water.

The Complete Guide to Siege Warfare:

There are 3 easily constructible common pieces of Siege Equipment, 3 Early Artillery pieces shared by all factions, 10 available forms of Gunpowder Artillery, and of course the art of Espionage. It was thought that a guide would thus be of great use in learning how to best use these various instruments.

Siege Equipment: Any army engaged in a siege has the option to supplement their forces with Battering Rams, Siege Ladders and Siege Towers. These tools see the greatest value in the Early eras against Cities, but if other options are not available, they can still be used at any point in the game... albeit with diminishing chances of success.

Battering Rams: Rams can only target Palisades and Gates, not Walls of any sort. The second drawback found with this engine is that Gates are normally the most heavily defended portions of a City or Castle, and a few flights of fire arrows will see your Ram left as only so much ashes and cinders. Lastly, it can take a Ram a good deal of time to bash thru an iron portcullis found in later Castles. However, lacking Artillery fire, a Ram is still a vital piece of equipment for any army with a cavalry contingent. Defending units gain a hefty bonus while fighting on their own Walls, a Ram however allows the attackers to enter the settlement directly and fight the defenders on a level playing field.

As a defender, you should always thus remember to make it a point to target Rams and their crews. Even Peasants can defend the Walls against much "better" infantry, but a breach in your Gates will usually spell swiftly approaching doom for your militias.

Siege Ladders: Ladders provide their crews with no cover whatsoever while approaching the Walls. Worse yet, the men using them will be severely disadvantaged trying to take a defended section of Wall, as they must attempt to climb and fight at the same time and due to their gaining the Walls a single man per ladder at a time. Nevertheless Ladders are cheap to build, much more difficult for defenders to destroy than Rams or Towers, and are capable of being used quickly if a section of Wall is undefended. If the defending force has very little, or no infantry, a Ladder can allow your missile units to easily gain the walls and then fire unopposed upon the enemy cavalry.

If you are defending and have at least one unit per set of attacking ladders, for the most part you may simply ignore them. Any unit attempting to gain your walls will be massacred by your defenders with only the slightest casualties on your part.

Siege Towers: Towers are in most respects a better solution to the same principal as Ladders. The unit pushing the Tower towards the Walls has some cover from enemy fire, can prepare to assault the Walls safely, and can gain said Walls in a rush instead of individually. Potential drawbacks as mentioned exist in that the Towers can be set alight by defending bowmen and are the most expensive siege equipment, in man hours, to prepare.

As a defender you should know that Towers present a greater problem than Ladders, but Rams should still be your first priority to neutralize. A Tower can be a thorn in your side, but with the hefty bonus to defending units, for the most part you should be able to beat back any unit which assaults you thru the Tower. If you have the archers to spare, it is possible to burn the Tower down along with any soldiers within it. Timed correctly, you can cause heavy casualties to an elite assault unit in this manner.

Early Artillery: All Factions share the ability to build three early forms of Artillery: the Ballista, the Catapult and the Trebuchet. The Ballista is for the most part simply an anti-troop device and its bolts can pierce several soldiers at once, but it can also be used much like a long-range Ram to smash down Gates and Palisades. The Ballista is able to fire flaming missiles, but the hit in accuracy for the most part makes this prohibitive.

The Catapult is the first device which will truly allow you to assault any fortification with a reasonable chance of success. It lobs stones in a shallow arc which renders it somewhat inaccurate against troops, but capable of smashing thru even stone walls. If troops are clustered however, the Catapults area attack can be devastating. The Catapult also can fire flaming ammo, and this has a significant impact on enemy morale, but the already inaccurate shots will become even more so.

Lastly, the Trebuchet functions as a vast improvement on the Catapult. It too lobs boulders at enemy troops and Walls but the higher arc of its shot, the greater power it brings to bear, longer range, and its various ammo types make it the preeminent pre-gunpowder siege weapon. A Trebuchet, with its high arc is capable of firing over walls to smash troops and buildings within a settlement; or conversely to be used by defenders to return fire on their attackers without damaging their own walls. The Trebuchet is not very accurate when aimed at troops unless they are clustered, and even then it will miss a large percentage of the time. However, when it does find its mark, the results of its area attack will be satisfyingly grisly. An added dimension to the Trebuchet is that in addition to its regular complement of boulders which can be fired normally or with burning rags attached, the Trebuchet can also launch rotting cow carcasses at enemy soldiers. While seldom lethal, this has a most debilitating effect upon enemy moral. It is important to note again that these cow carcasses are a secondary type of ammunition and do not deplete the Trebuchets normal stock. All Early Artillery pieces come with a crew of 20.

Name - Vs. Troop Attack/Vs. Building Attack/Defense - Factions

Tier 1: Ballista - 55/10/8 - All
    Tier 2: Catapult - 55/30/ 8 - All
    Tier 3: Trebuchet - 55/90/8 - All

Gunpowder Artillery: Almost every Faction has a slightly different progression in its abilities to build these advanced Artillery pieces. The Ribault, Monster Ribault and Serpentine are designed specifically for firing upon enemy troops, they are of extremely limited value when assaulting enemy defenses. All three of these weapons fire shots which may strike several soldiers in a row. The Serpentine is more effective overall than either of the Ribaults as it both outranges them and causes a greater rate of casualties. The Monster Ribault still has a niche however as 36 rapidly fired large barrels will cause severe morale damage to any unit. The Mortar, while an early development, sees continued value due to it's high arcing shot - much like the Trebuchet - unlike other Gunpowder Artillery. The majority of other weapons follow a steady track in improving power, range, and accuracy from the first Bombards to the pinnacle of gun-smithing; the Basilisk. All of these weapons can fire exploding shots, causing a wide area of damage. The Cannon has slightly increased attack power over the Culverin, but the Culverins greater accuracy make it more deadly overall. The Turkish Monster Bombard presents the other anomaly in this chart due to it's massive damage output, but horribly inaccurate fire... additionally, the Monster Bombard is the only one of these weapons incapable of firing an exploding shot; the gigantic boulders it tosses are damage enough, should they hit. It should be noted that while many of these pieces carry the same attack value, the affected area of attack increases with the power of the weapons; so although a Monster Bombard has the same Vs. Troop Attack as a Cannon, a hit from a Monster Bombard will cause many more fatalities. Also all Gunpowder Artillery come with a crew of 20.

Tier 1 Gunpowder Artillery:

Bombard - 55/120/8 - All

Tier 2 Gunpowder Artillery:

Mortar - 63/150/8 - English, Scottish, Venetians, Sicilians
    Ribault - 63/5/8 - English, Scottish, Danes, Polish, Hungarians, Spanish, Portuguese, Venetians, Milanese, Sicilians
    Grand Bombard - 55/180/8 - Russians, French, Germans, Spanish, Portuguese, Milanese, Moors, Turks, Egyptians

Tier 3 Gunpowder Artillery:

Serpentine - 63/10/8 - Danes, French, Germans, Polish, Hungarians
    Cannon - 63/250/8 - Danes, Russians, Polish, Sicilians, Moors, Turks, Egyptians
    Culverin - 63/230/8 - English, Scottish, French, Germans, Spanish, Portuguese, Venetians, Milanese

Tier 4 Gunpowder Artillery:

Monster Ribault - 63/5/9 - Venetians, Milanese
    Basilisk - 63/330/8 - Russians, French, Germans, Hungarians, Spanish, Portuguese
    Monster Bombard - 63/1000/9 - Turks

Espionage: The final way to bypass a settlements defenses is thru the use of a Spy, or better yet, the use of Spies. A single well trained Spy can give in the neighborhood of a 50% chance to find the gates open to your approaching army. A team of 3 experienced Spies will almost certainly meet with success. In the early and middle game this remains the most effective and speedy way to capture enemy settlements. There is no waiting to build Siege Equipment, nor any slow and unwieldy baggage train of Artillery. In the later game, this tactic still remains useful, albeit with less effectiveness. It becomes increasingly important to silence enemy towers with Artillery as those towers grow larger and more powerful with upgraded settlement defenses. Larger and more professional garrisons too mean that simply charging thru the gates is a good recipe for having your troops caught in a bottleneck, and then sent running for the hills. With caution then, it remains often a devastatingly effective attack to send your cavalry racing for the betrayed gates; often they can charge on thru before the enemy has time to move his troops from the walls to defend. Moving units can then be caught disorganized and panicked as they file out from the base of Towers and are quickly routed.

As a defender you should thus always keep at least one Spy in your own settlement to provide counter intelligence and keep the risk of an enemy Spy successfully infiltrating at a minimum.

===============

Summary: In the early years Spies are the most effective and quickest way to take settlements. If the enemy is heavy in infantry, then Rams are the second choice; if he is predominantly cavalry, then Ladders or Towers. Care is needed to insure that Rams and Towers survive to be used, if necessary deploy screening units in front of them to soak up enemy fire. As a defender, especially target first Rams, then Towers, and lastly worry about defending your Walls from exposed soldiers attempting to use Ladders.

In the middle game Spies remain effective for the most part, Catapults are useful and Trebuchets are the device of choice. Defenders too should deploy Trebuchets in settlements they expect to be attacked, as the Trebuchets high arcing shot will be able to clear their own walls and savage the enemy.

After the advent of gunpowder, Basilisks are the ultimate possible all around gun, equally useful at destroying enemy Walls and troops. Culverins or Cannons prove useful to those factions which cannot obtain the necessary technology to build Basilisks. Serpentines are the most useful Gunpowder Artillery piece for mowing down enemy soldiers if a Basilisk cannot be built. Monster Ribaults are also good anti-troop devices, and a precisely timed explosion of Barrage Fire can turn the tide of battles. The Monster Bombard while extraordinarily inaccurate will utterly pulverize enemy Walls, and if lucky, can destroy whole swathes of enemy troops. Lastly, the Mortar - despite being out-classed by newer guns in power, range and accuracy - remains useful to both attackers and defenders with its high arcing shot.

The Ribault is largely ineffective, a unit of Arquebusiers or Musketeers will perform much better. Bombards and Grand Bombards should only be built by players unable to do any better.

In conclusion, The Russians, French, Germans, Hungarians, Spanish and Portuguese have the greatest advantage with their ability to field Basilisks. The Turks, Venetians and Milanese also have access to Artillery pieces which are potentially extremely useful. The English, Scottish, Venetians and Sicilians have an added dimension to their tactics with their ability to build the high-arcing Mortars. All other factions end up paying for their lack of advancement with the blood of their soldiers.
    Last edited by SMZ; 12-08-2006 at 11:50.
    Drink water.

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

With all of the Mongol,Timurid, and Aztecs threads poping up all over the place it would seem like a good idea to create a sticky or two some where on how to battle these factions.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

so uhhh... is there somewhere else I should've posted those?
    Drink water.

Talking Re: Comments and Suggestions.

After playing Medieval2 for hours on end, and getting frustrated with constant factions attacking you in every place possible, I found a very useful way to dominate things with only one front.

This works if you're a catholic faction that is near Rome, and also for the Byzantines.

1. Send a diplomat to the Papal States immediately and attempt an alliance to get on their good side. Plus, gift them military access for better.

2. Conquer a city/rebel city on the borders that you do not wish to focus on.

3. Gift that city to the papal states - and it will boost your conditions with them, they'll love it, to either Outstanding or Perfect.

4. Now, the Papal States own territory on the border of your empire, and no catholic faction dares to cross it, fearing a result of excommunication.

5. Now you can focus conquering one front at a time.

What about... a PAPAL STATES GUIDE!!

*thun thun thuuuuunnnn*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast