Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: England

Default Re: England

The first thing I tend to build when I capture a settlement is religious buildings. The first diplomats I train are immediately sent to rome. I don't know if it was this, or just dumb luck, but I never had any problems with the Pope, and my enemies tended to be excommunicated fairly frequently.

yeah same here, even if he threatens me, I rarely lose very much, and then i just send him more money if it gets too low!
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Finally annihilated Milan, which was a source of great satisfaction to me. They had been reduced to holding Venice, thanks to my Pet Pope declaring a crusade against them in Rome (and I accidentally took Milan and Florence on the way), but they had a full stack of elite troops, with a bunch of xbowmen. A frontal assault looked pretty darn dubious.

So I decided to take a two-step approach. I sent a stack that was half artillery and one-third missiles and the balance infantry for protection, bashed down the walls and rained death down on everyone I could reach. Once I was out of ammo, I withdrew, losing that battle. But then I brought up my real army, which was infantry and missile-heavy. Thanks to the shield bug, my hundreds of pilgrims ended up cutting a huge swath through the better-armored Milanese troops, and I took the city, sacking it and so happily getting that 'faction destroyed' message. Maybe that will cut down on the hundreds of assassination attempts....

Hey -
    How are folks getting such an effective economy? I'm around turn 60. 21 territories, mastery of the Isles, I own the general France area, and 2 Middle Eastern provinces. I knocked out France, Scotland, and Milan by assassination. Unfortunately, Poland and the Danes are after me, and the Pope doesn't like me, and I'm not earning much more than 1500 per turn. Are merchants useful at all? I have roads everywhere, and ports, and markets and fairgrounds wherever I can get them.
    Parmenion: "Were I Alexander, I would accept the terms of Darius."
    Alexander: "As would I, were I Parmenion."

"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem."
    - Stalin

"Next time you stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
    - Malcolm Reynolds

My economy was solid because one of the first things I did was send an army to Algiers with 2 merchants and a priest. First 2 turns I recruited toops and ships from Caen and sent them south. Pirates almost got me at the end but was able to land there with one very leaky boat left. Now for the moment of truth, would there be a big army waiting there for me? The answer was a resounding "no". There was a family member and a light cavalry unit. This was cake as I just sent my archers up the walls and killed everybody without a loss as they walked around on top of the walls untouchable. I now had a Castle to headquarter my Africa conquests.

I sent the merchants down to Timbuktu along with a big enough force to take the town and Arguin while dropping watchtowers along the way while making sure I could keep Algiers with a sizable force. Anytime I could produce another merchant I'd do it in Timbuktu or Arguin until there were no more resources left. Nice that I never saw a foreign merchant there the whole time. An additional benefit was getting a church in Algiers so as to be able to produce priests in a place where they could really jack their stats up converting people.

I always end up getting good economies because the first thing I do is recruit two diplomats, the first I send to the pope, to secure an alliance, as well as securing alliance/trade rights/map info( and I ask formoney if my offer is still generous) on the way to Rome. The other, I do the same thing, send that diplomat around the world, but remember not to get alliances with everyone, usually you want it only with nations like France, Scotland, Portugal, and maybe Denmark, the rest just exchange map info and trade rights. Soon enough, you'll be trading with everyone, and you'll be rolling in money. The merchants, you place on rare recources, but I never use them because the most Ive ever gotten is 40 florins/turn, and they ALWAYS end up getting their assets seized, usualy by Venetians or Milanese.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

Default New World

I'm at around turn 90 in my English campaign and just got gunpowder. Does anyone know when you get to travel to the new world? I really want to see those ubercool Aztec cities.

Aztecs?

Not for a looong time. If you're playing standard turns then I'm told Timurids should pop up around 1380 (turn 150) and new world is, presumably, around 1490 (turn 205) with the game due to finish 1530 (turn 225). Although another poster said the game keeps going even after end date.

I'm playing on after victory until I've tested myself against mongols but I'm not waiting another 50 turns for timurids and then another 50 for aztecs when I won 30 turns ago.....It'll be a re-start for me.

The only way to meet these guys is to deliberately not play expansive and don't wipe out opponents it seems.

Other posters have argued you must impose restrictions on yourself to play badly so there remains a challenge which seems to me counterintuitive. How is a challenge a challenge if you need to choose not to play your best for it to be a challenge? If you lose you just handicapped yourself too much. If you win, then not enough. The only skill is against yourself.

Default New World at 205???

Whoa. I just hit turn 108 and I'm just 5 regions (including Jerusalem) away from victory. I could play an entirely new campaign in that space of time... Thanks for the great response though. I couldn't find anything about it on the web.

yeah I'm turn 110-ish and I have 46 territories. I own Iberian Peninsula, France, Britain, Germany, Italy, and the northern Balkan Peninsula. Haven't taken Jerusalem yet, huge Mongol army guarding it. But I just captured Rhodes? one of those islands in the Mediterranean ownhed by the Byzantines, and near Anatolia. Im using that as a spring board into the Middle East. One question though, once I take Jerusalem, can I continue on like in BI, or do I stop like in the origional Rome?
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

You can play on. If you wait several hundred more turns like me, you get to see the Aztecs + Timurids (unless you already have). I have 44 regions, and landed a huge army to capture Jerusalem, but it got wiped out by the Golden Horde - it was outnumbered like 5 to 1 even when I switched it on to Night Battle mode.

sweet, because the Moors just backstabbed me, and I gotta keep my posterity. Can't allow a nation to survive when they destroy half of my Crusading army due to a sea battle!
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

Default Backstabbing Moors

The Moors back-stabbed me as well, even when I granted them trade rights and map information. We had a good alliance going for like 30 turns and, as I conquered the rest of Spain, the Moors were very happy. Then, suddenly, they besieged Zaragoza. I quickly repelled the attack. However, heir betrayal gave me an excuse to destroy their entire empire.

Just finished the campaign by conquering several provinces in North Africa and taking Jerusalem back from the Mongols. For once, I outnumbered them: they only had 2 units of archers, while I had a 20-army unit of hardened veterans + my faction leader + gunpowder units. Revenge is sweet!

I was right about to move my army in, when I noticed 8, yes I mean litterally eight full stacks of Timurids all surrounding Jerusalem well, I figure I'll waste some time by capturing Rhodes, Southern Asia Minor, and Crete. It's around turn 160 and I just got the World is Round event. I'm upteching my docks to create carracks so I can take the new provinces. Rich trade recources here I come!!!
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

Turn 160, eh?
    I suppose I could wait that long...
    That is, if I survive the Timurids.

About how big is the New World? About how many provinces

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OliverWKim
    About how big is the New World? About how many provinces
    Six I believe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Six? oh so it's just the tip of mesoamerica and south america, not all of the continent... bummer.

ok been playing on and off for a while and just got hit by the black death! Man that sucked lost loads of my population and lots of troops is there any thing i could of done to avoid this at all?

Slaying Pagans near you! Member TeutonicKnight's Avatar

The Black Death is scripted. The only thing you can do is review the Events file, see what towns are hit on what turns, and plan appropriately.

I don't worry about it too much. You may be getting hit, but so are the other factions.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sir smudge
    ok been playing on and off for a while and just got hit by the black death! Man that sucked lost loads of my population and lots of troops is there any thing i could of done to avoid this at all?
    If you take your troops out of the cities I don't think their effected by the Black Death, or atleast not as badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

is there any specific strategy to use against HRE? I haven't started fighting them, but they have sieged one of my cities a few times (each time they've called it off after a turn) and I'm starting to get annoyed by the three stacks they have near metz (something like that), Also, what's best to use against milan? I've been sending dismounted feudal knights and swordsmen at em, but anything more effective?

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Everyone seems to be stuck because attacking catholic factions turns the papacy against you. Does anyone else know the diplomacy trick?

Basically, you send a diplomat to rome (or any faction) and offer trade rights, map info, alliance (if it's "generous" or balanced) and then offer as a gift an attack on each nation, one at a time, until your relations are excellent (I prefer perfect with the pope).

At this point, you can also request a crusade, and if you're at "perfect" relations, the pope will instantly accept your suggestion. But this is a side note. This is how to build massive, cost-free armies.

And by the way, as long as you aren't the aggressor, the pope usually excommunicates your enemies. Crusaders take them out.

And if you attack them with perfect papal relations, usually the worst that happens is a slight dip which you can fix again, and you lose points disobeying the pope, not excommunication.

Bascially, with a good princess or a mediocre diplomat, you can manipulate everyone, especially rome, to be your friend. (Although having disastrous reputation can put a damper on your diplomatic effect).

And by the way, your offers can be bogus. Example:

The pope seems to hate muslim factions, especially the turks, for whatever reason.

You can simply offer to strike them, over and over again, in the same diplomacy screen, on the same turn, until relations are perfect again.

I hope I haven't spoiled anyone's fun, but playing as ANY catholic faction is easy, no matter what, using the above trick.

Oh, and P.S:

When you're on a crusade or about to go on one, build up lots of little town militias around all of your generals that are just sitting at home.

Turn ALL your generals (except maybe your faction leader who can sit at home and babysit the home front with his usually high piety/chivalry rating) into crusading forces as quickly as possible, and lay seige to every non catholic city in your path, (one, two turns of seige max) until you have sacked and pillaged (or exterminated those you wish to keep) and bloated yourself on pillaging florins.

When invading factions with differing religions, always convert the town on the first turn with a church, pop out a priest the next turn. Why?

Because even if the town rebels, it will now be catholic. your priest will slowly convert the populace, as will the church, until you wish to reclaim it.

Works well for stubborn Byzantium and Antioch.

Anyone else have hints or tips to share?
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Here are the keys to a good economy:

watch how expensive your standing army is. If you own lots of cities, you can usually keep some town milita (or better) troops there for free. Always do so. Free troops are nothing to sneeze at, especially when your empire is FULL of them. Any non-free troops sitting in your cities are usually a waste of money unless they are cheap and you NEED them to maintain order or defense. I usually don't waste time defending anything unless it's really important. I can always reconquer little provinces later.

Make sure you are being cost effecient with your invading/seiging armies. Mercenaries are great for crusades, but only for emergencies otherwise. They are almost always 1.5 times as expensive to maintain as any other troop. On the empire scale, thats a LOT of wasted money.

Make sure you have unblocked ports and roads. I found that sometimes a market doesn't do anything. Glitch?

Castles don't earn squat. Make lots of cities unless you're feeling wimpy or overly aggressive.

look out for invaders and rebels, and corruption. Any army standing in your territory affects your trade.

If your conquests take too much money to maintain and properly staff, let it revolt and then exterminate them again and convert the populace with priests/churches. Less garrison troops means less expenses.

Look at your budget scroll. What's the most expensive stuff? Eliminate it.

You automatically make money. You go bankrupt by spending too much and not upgrading your trade and cities.

I have more suggestions... please message me if youre interested.

AND PS:

Merchants are fine, but only use them when your empire is massive and has expanded far from your capital.

Then what you do is pop out like ten of them and suck up the resources around your furthest big city. Silk, spices, etc very good.

Byzantium is a great place to pop out merchs because of the 4 silks. Antioch is near cotton, sugar, and spices. Russia is surrounded by amber, which is useless unless it's far away.

And buy off little merchants that you see. Save first, and attack. Make sure it's even possible, check both ratings first. You get a bonus for buying a merchant off because you seize their biz and get their money.

Merchants can earn you lots, if they are good, but never as much as sacking cities and being cost effective.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

I know merchants kind of suck, but if you use them right you can earn 500/turn with just one.

fancy resources. Distance from capital. Trade rights. Merchant rating.

add them up, and you get a bang.

For example. You're england, and you have trade rights with the egyptians. Now you have 6 merchants sitting near Antioch, each earning about well... 400 a turn?

That's like a FREE CITY.

Conquer far from your capital, towards a trade resource like Zagreb's gold, and plop a merchant there. Make sure you steal from other merchants to build up their rating. And be sure to save first!

save before you hit the turn button with ctrl + s.

quicksave, and then quickload ctrl + l and you can try again if a merchant was stolen during the turn.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

I just got the 'World is Round' event and am loading up a ship of units to take the new world by force! I assembled a fleet of 20 gun holks (cost a fortune) so my supremacy over the Atlantic and the Mediterranean is unopposed. I also lost Jerusalem again to rampaging rebels, but then recaptured it with a 25 unit army! However, I probably need to ship more units into the area as the city is in a constant state of riot and discontent, due to its distance from the capital. Does anyone else suffer from the problem of a discontent, revolting Jerusalem?

I believe that as was the case in RTW, Jerusalem has a hardcoded unrest factor making it hard to hold onto (which makes some game sense in M2TW, given it's one of the game-winning goals). The Pope took it in my game, lost it to rebellion, and the Timurids moved in and lost it to rebellion twice. I'm going to wait until the Timurids take it and them I'll take it FTW (since there's a full stack of elite rebel troops in it right now---let them and the Timmehs wear each other down first).

Oh, and Oliver, you didn't specify but you can't take Holks to the New World, only Carracks. Just wanted to make sure you knew that. I've taken four of the 6 territories there and I'm wishing that I had brought more spies, merchants and especially cavalry. The Aztecs are tough but they crumble beneath the horsies.
    Last edited by gardibolt; 04-17-2007 at 20:49.

R+To get Sherwood archers you need a certain guild woodsman guild I think I've got them with about 70 turns remaining. On this topic of billmen what would every one sergest to counter a cav charge with the english?

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    Oh, and Oliver, you didn't specify but you can't take Holks to the New World, only Carracks. Just wanted to make sure you knew that.
    Uh oh. I only have like two units of carracks, and I think I may have disbanded one of them. So I guess I'll have to spend another fortune just to upgrade my fleet. ARRGH!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast