Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Moors

Default Re: The Moors

I am having a real problem with my Moorish campaign and was looking for a little help. First let me say that diplomatically this is a hard faction to play. Everyone wants to fight you and there isn't much reason for them to accept ceasefires. I'm fighting for the Iberian and have Portugal on their last leg but I still have some work to do for the Spanish. Then I'm fighting off Venetian port blockades and an occasional invasion from the East.

All this war cost a lot of money and like everyone suggested, I headed for Timbuktu early in the game to capture my cash cow. The only problem is my merchants fumbled. Hard. Out of the first 5 merchants I made they had a combined, let my repeat that, combined skill of 2. Thats right 2. Three of them had 0 skill and the remaining two had 1. So instead of swimming in gold ala Duck Tales I'm just slightly better off financially than I was when I took Timbuktu.

What is my best option for improving my financial situation here?

*edit*

Actually in hindsight it looks like I complained too soon. After about 6-7 turns all those merchants gained a skill point or two so I'm no longer in the financial hot seat I was before.
    Last edited by Mookus; 05-16-2008 at 19:17.

I think that in terms of early diplomacy ( i say early, since it doesn't matter by later into the game anyway) is to ally with EVERYONE, and don't push for Tunis. if you let the Scilian take Tunis they usually won't bother with going all the way to Algier... having a real garrison helps too of coruse.

in the early moves, just head for Timbuktu and Arguin + Valencia and if your fast enough, Zaragosa . if you ally with both the Spainards and Portogusis I find that they usually start fighting themself and/or they'll stick with you with the other (usually Spain) attacks. this seems to still work fine in H/H . by allying with everyone anywhere near you (the Iberians / French / English / Italians / Dens etc..) you usually buy some time.

I tend to wait till the first Crusade is called to turn aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookus
    I am having a real problem with my Moorish campaign and was looking for a little help. First let me say that diplomatically this is a hard faction to play. Everyone wants to fight you and there isn't much reason for them to accept ceasefires. I'm fighting for the Iberian and have Portugal on their last leg but I still have some work to do for the Spanish. Then I'm fighting off Venetian port blockades and an occasional invasion from the East.

All this war cost a lot of money and like everyone suggested, I headed for Timbuktu early in the game to capture my cash cow. The only problem is my merchants fumbled. Hard. Out of the first 5 merchants I made they had a combined, let my repeat that, combined skill of 2. Thats right 2. Three of them had 0 skill and the remaining two had 1. So instead of swimming in gold ala Duck Tales I'm just slightly better off financially than I was when I took Timbuktu.

What is my best option for improving my financial situation here?

*edit*

Actually in hindsight it looks like I complained too soon. After about 6-7 turns all those merchants gained a skill point or two so I'm no longer in the financial hot seat I was before.
    This is obviously not as important now, but if your merchants are starting off with 0 skill, it might be that you built them in a place without a city hall building. I noticed that if I didn't have at least the level one version, my merchants generally came out as crooked or some such.

@RollingWave

Yeah unfortunately I already took Tunis and it definitely creates a political problem. First is that Spain and Portugal seem to have early ties to Italian states and waging war in the Iberian leads to poor relations with Italy. Having Tunis just gives the Italians an easy target for invasions and blockades. I'm fighting the Venetians on a regular basis and the Papacy has tried to take Tunis twice. Both times after routing their army the Papacy accepts peace but the Venetians seem more inclined to stick this thing out until the end. I managed to Ally with Milan but I'm pretty weary of the Sicilians suddenly deciding they want some of N. Africa. The last thing I need to deal with now is hordes of Norman Knights.

@GrandInquisitor

Yeah I think you are right. My build order in Timbuktu was basically to rush to pump out merchants and then keep the city a backwater with low maintenance. It seems all my merchants came out with some -1 trait like Crooked or worse. Although over time those 0 skill merchants are all up to 3 or better and contributing about 1700 in merchant income combined.

well your into bigger trouble so it's gonna be hard to dig out, i got into the same jam but that was well after i took out Iberia and was starting to push into France. I was fighting a 4 way war, France, British Isles, the Scilian islands (took the 3 isles and now landed and sacked Rome ) and Northern Africa. All while the black death runs wild lol!!! (best way to beat the black death debt? sack everyone!!!!) I now have Tripolli and since the Mongols are still in their last stage of sacking Egypt I'm still fine for now. but they'll start to become a problem in 15 turns give or take some. I'm basically fighting with every Catholic faction outside of the Poles and Hungarians now. though that can't be too far away if I reach their border somehow... I'm half way through with the British isles ( i own all but the 2 Scottlish lands to the north though the Scott's main army is seiging Welsh, i do however have a reinforcement army almost there.

fighting on Mainland Europe is tough, I think i'll eventrually have to do some war of attrition there and let some of my cities fall to them (though i often do the jump city attack, if they go from say.. Paris to seige my Anger. I'll send my force from Toulous not to help Anger but to sack Paris. luckily i picked a good time as the fighting really gone wild after they just finished a Crusade. and one of the strongest foe (Venice) won the first Crusade and now spending a lot of focus in the middle east as the Mongols are running wild. I'm planning to head towards Scandanavia after i finish the British Isles (where the last English town is Oslo heh) and flank them VIA Denmark. not to meantion completely sealing off the Atalantic :P

Tactically Moors are very fun though, they have one of the most amazing skrimishing roster in the game along with solid forces everywhere else. (Latuma and dism Arabs are underratedly solid, Urban Milita is still pretty good.) the caravan stops also makes their castles much more protitable then that of the Christian factions.
    Last edited by RollingWave; 05-19-2008 at 19:24.

The war in Europe is so overwhelming, i almost have no time for north africa. i plan for push into egypt all the way into jerussalem after things settled in europe, but the war in Europe never end. one christian kingdom after another declared war on me, and the only way for me to end the war is to eliminate the faction entirely. The relatively light Moors infantry are no match for the heavily armored european infantry, which make things doubly hard. my cavalries need to hit enemy's flank and rear as soon as both side infantries collide or else my infantries will be routed en masse.
    Emperor Heraclius wrote the following letter to Khalid Al-Walid...

I have come to know what you have done to my army. You have killed my son-in-law and captured my daughter. You have won and got away safely. I now ask you for my daughter. Either return her to me on payment of ransom or give her to me as a gift, for honour is a strong element in your character'.

To which Khalid replied....

Take her as a gift, there shall be no ransom.

Hmm? Hashim Hashims beat almost anything , and Urban Militas are one of the best heavy infantry in this game that can be build from cities..

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

One of the few drawbacks of playing a Muslim faction is that everybody hates you. The AI wars against you all the time and the Pope not only does nothing about it, he positively encourages it. Wars never end because the Pope applies no pressure for a resolution.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Among the muslim factions, i prefer the turks. they have a hell of a horse archers and dual purpose infantries and a vaunted janisaries. If only moors have at least one type of horse archers, it may double it's combat power.
    Emperor Heraclius wrote the following letter to Khalid Al-Walid...

I have come to know what you have done to my army. You have killed my son-in-law and captured my daughter. You have won and got away safely. I now ask you for my daughter. Either return her to me on payment of ransom or give her to me as a gift, for honour is a strong element in your character'.

To which Khalid replied....

Take her as a gift, there shall be no ransom.

Moors have mounted crossbows and camel gunners . both basically play the same as horse archers only much harder hitting (espically against armor) unlike the Turks the Moors also start out as probably the top 3 faction in terms of wealth and access to wealth (Byz / Egypt being the other two). where as the Turks need some actual work beore they have any sort of money.
    Last edited by RollingWave; 05-22-2008 at 09:38.

Warrior on the edge of time Member kitbogha's Avatar

I have just achieved victory conditions, scraping in a bit on turn 208. I intend to convert the whole game map to Moorish orange before laying it to rest. I won without going to America.

Observations on the late game:-
    1. It is easy to get bogged down around the top of Italy, the nearer you get to Rome, the stiffer your opposition will be. I chose to consolidate there (holding Milan and Genoa, as well as Ajaccio and Cagliari) and turned my attention to the HRE, who I thought would be tougher opposition than they were in the end, and the British Isles, to make up the magic number of provinces.
    2. Don't be scared to go for Jerusalem. On my last move before victory I took Jerusalem. I had expected swift retaliation from the Mongols, but they had their hands full with the Timurids and I easily took the two nearby citadels on subsequent moves. The Moors now have a handy toehold in the region for mopping up operations.
    3. Use assassins to take out heretics, often my imams seem to lack the required piety to do so and towards the late game your lands will swarm with these vermin. I found that having two each in Iberia, Western Europe and North Africa meant I could keep my people happier with the ensuing ability to keep taxes high. The assassins can be kept busy on other chores (he he he ) when the heretic level is under control....
    4. Don't bother with the Americas until you have achieved victory. I know it's part of the fun and will ultimately provide a nice little earner, but it takes so long to get there and so much money to pacify and develop it seems better to wait until the game is in the bag.
    5. Boost Lisbon up the technological tree as much as you can in the mid game-it's an ideal launch pad if you do intend to pop across the Atlantic.
    6. Spam out imams, send them into provinces you have in mind for later conquest. If they are converting the locals, your final acquisition of the territory will be better received and save you from having to sack/exterminate the locals to achieve a happy populace.
    Last edited by kitbogha; 05-28-2008 at 17:58.
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Winston Churchill.
    "It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.”
    Genghis Khan

my thoughts, being around the same stage as you.

Quote Originally Posted by kitbogha

Observations on the late game:-
    1. It is easy to get bogged down around the top of Italy, the nearer you get to Rome, the stiffer your opposition will be. I chose to consolidate there (holding Milan and Genoa, as well as Ajaccio and Cagliari) and turned my attention to the HRE, who I thought would be tougher opposition than they were in the end, and the British Isles, to make up the magic number of provinces.
    the Italy part is pretty tough particularly because there's a lot of priest / cardinals there making covertions harder. but i took it out with a 3 way offesnive, having one army moving from Tours toward northern Italy and due to my war with Sciliy i was fighitn on the islands, having taken all 3 of them I combnied the armies and retrained up (Sciliy itself is usually a high level fortress, giving you easy means to retrain your army.) and launched two naval offensive, one landed on Rome, the other landed on Genoa (mostly because the land army was facing stiff resistence around the alps) and then I took out Naples now traped between Rome and Sciliy. and slowly pushed into Milan / Venice / Bologna

2. Don't be scared to go for Jerusalem. On my last move before victory I took Jerusalem. I had expected swift retaliation from the Mongols, but they had their hands full with the Timurids and I easily took the two nearby citadels on subsequent moves. The Moors now have a handy toehold in the region for mopping up operations.
    I'm just there, Though I might be in some trouble at this point because the sea rout is more secured than i thought (not to meanion thx for being Muslim, I can't' just call a Crusade against them and move like the wind lol), so the chances of gettign reinforcement seems problematic, on the brighter side, being Muslims means I don't have to sack / exterminate so I can start pumping units ASAP (I took Gaza with my army, because it was a. lightly defended . b.a citadel (mass Camels for the win in deserts!) c. very good positioning cutting Egypt off from the Middle east. allowing easy expansion either way.

3. Use assassins to take out heretics, often my imams seem to lack the required piety to do so and towards the late game your lands will swarm with these vermin. I found that having two each in Iberia, Western Europe and North Africa meant I could keep my people happier with the ensuing ability to keep taxes high. The assassins can be kept busy on other chores (he he he ) when the heretic level is under control....
    hmmm? you don't have a theolegian headquoter by this time? I find that because I had to do so much conversion I got a headquoter like 20 turns into the game not to meantion because of that almost all my imams have super high piety and burn those critters fairly easily. in fact i have yet to had a Imam turn bad in this game ( H/H)

but your last one says you are using a town of Imams ;) so are you just accidently using those greenies to do the torching instead of the vets? I must had had like 5 missionaries walking around England after I took the Isles.

edit
    Last edited by locked_thread; 07-18-2008 at 02:10.

My only issue with using assasins in mass is that it ends up hurting my rep to the ponit of no return and will assure you getting a dread based leader no matter if he was a living saint while he was the heir, i have virtually 0 chance of doing anything with my diplomat . though yes, I often removed enemy priest with assasin at one stage, i now that i stopped , I find it very difficult to keep my newly conquered land highly muslim.

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave
    hmmm? you don't have a theolegian headquoter by this time? I find that because I had to do so much conversion I got a headquoter like 20 turns into the game not to meantion because of that almost all my imams have super high piety and burn those critters fairly easily. in fact i have yet to had a Imam turn bad in this game ( H/H)
    Strangely, I only got the Theologian Guild HQ when I took Edinburgh-really late in the game, circa turn 190. Could be that I'm not using my imams to their full potential, I did pretty much give up on them quite early when they did not produce the desired results and substituted assassins for the whole heretic killing thing.
    In retropsect I probably could have made better use of the jihad as well, as a source of cheap manpower. Luckily Allah did not judge me too harshly, and the whole world now bows to his will.
    Last edited by kitbogha; 06-04-2008 at 09:04.
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Thompson
    One of the few drawbacks of playing a Muslim faction is that everybody hates you. The AI wars against you all the time and the Pope not only does nothing about it, he positively encourages it. Wars never end because the Pope applies no pressure for a resolution.
    I am now playing a Sicily and encounter all the same problems from fellow Catholics and the Pope.
    The only difference is that the Pope can be manipulated to a small extent if you are a Catholic faction-I have just acquired Milan, Genoa and Venice via Crusades due to the Milanese and Venetians being overly aggressive towards me.
    Hmm, seem to have talked myself out of the point I was trying to make......which was:it's not too much easier if you are the same demonination as them.
    Winston Churchill.
    Genghis Khan

for the most part though, the non-catholics all start at a considerablly safer position for this situation (i.e fighting with all the Catholics at once)

it's not the same to be called a Crusade when your Egypt than when your... say... the HRE :P which would be REALLLLLL fun as you REALLY get hit on ALL sides.

edit

Quote Originally Posted by CyanCentaur
    On the bright side, Muslim factions never risk excommunication while finishing off a downed opponent.
    However, everyone hates you so it's like you're already excommunicated.

edit

My Moorish campaign is actually going very well now but I had a quick question.

Does taking out the Papacy create more conflict between the Catholic nations? I've never played a Pope-less game. Although my game is going well, I am fighting pretty much all the catholic nations West and South of the HRE. I was hoping getting rid of the Pope may help cause a little more turmoil away from my borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookus View Post

Does taking out the Papacy create more conflict between the Catholic nations? I've never played a Pope-less game. Although my game is going well, I am fighting pretty much all the catholic nations West and South of the HRE. I was hoping getting rid of the Pope may help cause a little more turmoil away from my borders.
    It might help minimally since you won't have to worry about your allies Crusading against you... And you wouldn't have countries you've never seen before Crusading against you. The few enemies would raise your reputation and help a bit with peace... But the Catholics are still going to dislike you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookus View Post

if i'm not mistaken, as long as a catholic faction, exists the Papal States does too. They pick one of the Catholic factions settlements as their new base. That would mean the Papal States would either be the 2nd to the last or the last catholic faction you ever wipe out.
    i'd think Rome has great value to the PS and could expect a crusade to be called to get it back. On a side note, if your in the Pope's nice list (playing as christian of course) and recovered Rome from an invader, a papal mission will come your way telling you to hand it (Rome) over

GAMEROOM
    Come & Play

VINLAND SAGA

no, it doesn't help, but since your fighting or will be fighting with all the Catholics anyway just kill them and push up and secure the entire penisula. Rome is a nice cash cow of a city. by this stage you probably don't need to worry as much about Crusades anymore. (provided that if your like me.. where by this stage I have all of Spain / France / England and is landing in Scandanavia pushing toward Milan / Genoa from France anyway ;) )

some final thoughts

1. if you call a Jihad right off the bat, I suggest going for Toledo, because it starts out as a castle and it's central positioning, taking it almost immediately destroy Spain's power (though they might have some straggling unit so don't leave your other Cordoba too lightly defended.) and give you a solid base for troop production (granada starts with almost nothing .. it's hard to upgrade there.. besides you probably want to convert it to town pretty soon). taking Toledo with nothing but early light units and Jihad maniacs needs some sound tactics (or auto resolve :P) but with both Toledo and Cordoba the fight on the Iberian is essentially over, Spain will have nothing but a large town in Leon while Lisbon is completely cut off.

2. even on H/H the AI doesn't seem to come at Alger that often or early. what i did was to attack Timbuktu from Alger while using my Marrakesh / Granada / Cordoba forces to Jihad aganist Toledo.

3. when going after Timbutku just send your general with his desert /arabs down . don't take infantry! it save you at least a couple turns of march to just hire tribesman on the spot.

4. early game Hashashim is just rigged. they cut through the opposition like hot knief through butter. and makes your seige assault woes go away, as you suddenly go from rubbish spear to HOLY SHIT swords.

5. arab cavs are pretty lousy, but because you could build at city (and they're stats is close to sergents than milita) they're useful enough because you can mass them.

who does the game description anyway. it says Moors have poor late and good early unit.. what unit are they referring to anyway sheese. Jinets completely owns our jav cav and your early spear is fairly rubbish. (Berbers are decent off the bat though, but could only wear leather zzzz), the only early unit that gives you a serious advantage on the Iberians is desert archers. which in early game might actually be more effective than long bows, their good stamina means they don't tire much even after firing most of their ammo.

Stainless steel 6.1 Moors on the other hand... booooo while most of the changes they made make sense. the overall effect just completely screws them. as now you can get Hashashim early, can't build arabs from town, can't get Camel gunners till the end of times, and Christian guards / Peasant X-bows got nerfed to death.

sure most of those changes made perfect sense (Christian guard somehow destroying Chivaric knights made little sense for example). except that virtually took away every good aspects of the Moorish roster, they added a Andulasian infantry (basically a Saracen Milita).... but as a pure mercenary wtf?!?!

My general strategy;

Take Tunis off of Sicily. Convert Algiers to a Town for the cash.

Jihad Spain and Portugal into the dust. Conquor as far as Pamplona/Zaragoza. Convert all provinces to Towns except Toledo, Pamplona and Tunis.

Build Iron mines everywhere.

Roll around in all the money

Do what ever you feel like after that. Personally I turtle with all the high Chivalry generals from the Jihads and tech up. Then my next generation of generals tend to be Dread Lords Forget the Mongols, beware the West!

My advise with units;

Once you get Christian Guard the Moorish army becomes like any European army roster (Heavy Inf, Spears, Archers, Cav), but with the added "spice" of some interesting all Cavalry armies.

I like to go for 1 General, 2 Arab Cav, 4 Turag Camels, 4 Christian Guard, the rest Desert Cav/Crossbow Cav/Camel Gunners if you have gunpowder.

Check out Doug Thompsons excellent Cavalry guide here to get the most out of them https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=73479

Peter

Whats with the nubian spearmen? My first moors campaign and I havent used em myself but there unit card shows the same stats as the berber spearmen. The berber spearmen are the same price. Easier to get and can do schiltrom where as the nubians cannot?

Quote Originally Posted by St.Jimmy View Post
    Whats with the nubian spearmen? My first moors campaign and I havent used em myself but there unit card shows the same stats as the berber spearmen. The berber spearmen are the same price. Easier to get and can do schiltrom where as the nubians cannot?
    A sadly somewhat redundant unit. There really isn't anything they can do better then the Berber Spearmen (personally i edited the Nubians and gave them better morale and upped attack with 1 so they have at least some things going for them), they look better then the Berbers though. The Egyptians also have them and although they are the only spear unit they get from castles, it is better for them to use Saracen Militia instead.
    We have this almost mythical tree, given to us by the otherwise hostile people in the east to symbolize our friendship and give us permission to send caravans through their lands. It could be said to symbolize the wealth and power of our great nation. Cut it down and make me a throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Laman View Post
    A sadly somewhat redundant unit. There really isn't anything they can do better then the Berber Spearmen (personally i edited the Nubians and gave them better morale and upped attack with 1 so they have at least some things going for them), they look better then the Berbers though. The Egyptians also have them and although they are the only spear unit they get from castles, it is better for them to use Saracen Militia instead.
    The Lamtuna spearmen stats are better then Berber but I haven't used them yet.

I just started a Moorish campaign on VanillaMod a couple days ago, and since I've been getting tired of the Central European mid-game grind, I decided to stick to the Mediterranean, first solidifying Iberia, then Africa, then Italy, before going on to fight the Mongols for control of the holy land.

After building up some mines, my first move was against Portugal, and I managed to kill off their whole royal family in a battle outside Lisbon. I sent a diplomat to get trade rights and sell map information to everybody in Europe and flooded Iberia with Imams. Noticing all of Spain's considerable forces were occupied in besieging Zaragosa and Pamplona, I declared a Jihad on Toledo, patched together a mob of Ghazis at Cordoba, and sent my Lisbon army up for a simultaneous strike on Leon, while sending about a quarter-stack to grab Valencia out from under the Spaniards. They managed to grab Pamplona during the meantime, so I narrowly missed eliminating them as a faction within two turns, although a quick mop-up operation finished the job.
    At this point, I started working on infrastructure and building up a stack in Algiers to grab Timbuktu and Arguin. The Sicilians had taken Tunis and Tripoli while I was preoccupied with Iberia, and they were next on my hitlist. When a Sicilian half-stack appeared outside Algiers, I decided to deal with them sooner than I'd intended to, cannibalizing my Sahara stack to kick the Sicilians out of Africa while building up a second one as a replacement. A couple years later, I'd taken Tunis, defeated a relief force out of Tripoli in a spectacular bridge battle, and crushed two rebel stacks at the gates of Timbuktu. Unfortunately, my war with Sicily had wrecked my relations with the rest of Catholic Europe, and even got the Pope to blockade my ports, even as I had a fresh stack out of Toledo set to ship off and sack Cagliari. This was where the Arabs' naval disadvantage started to become a problem for me, but while my Iberian stack was landlocked I managed to sneak a fresh Algerian stack up to Sardinia, and in the space of four turns it had successfully taken and sacked both Cagliari and Ajaccio, even as I captured Tripoli and laid siege to Arguin.
    It's the 1180's, and I'm now preparing an invasion of Italy proper. Milan, which controls Dijon, Bern, Rheims, Florence, and Bologna in addition to its starting territories, is allied with Sicily and is the strongest Italian power now that Sicily has been reduced to Palermo, Naples, and Ragusa. The Venetians are Sicily's vassal and hold Venice, Zagreb, and Iraklion, making them the weakest but also the one I'll encounter last. And the Papal State, which boasts a surprisingly strong navy, also took Marseilles early in the game and has two quality stacks chilling outside Rome. It's looking to be an eventful and thoroughly satisfying campaign.

As far as the Moorish military goes, it's an interesting experience. The complete lack of heavy troops has forced me to rely on archers and javelin-throwers, and the Moors' light armor and abundant stamina has led me to focus on inflicting heat and fatigue on enemies before engaging them (especially in the case of the Sicilian's Norman troops). Tuaregs are expensive, but are also absolutely excellent cavalry, the best unit available to you in your African campaigns, and handy in Europe as well. The abundance of spearmen but lack of attacking infantry is a problem, but once I tech to Urban Militia and Christian Guard that department shouldn't be a problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast