Thread: Homemade online campaign

i started to survey the surroundings for an own online campaign, see www.totalwar.club.tip.nl/, left below button.
    i added the first set of brainstorm rules and added 2 screencaptures from what i have now, a scrollable map with movable armies

i started this week cause i think the campaign we get from the add on will not be sufficient for the real die hards.

"just the babies first steps..."

ofcourse if players want to talk about the rules (which are in progress too), or just help in mapmakings or whatever feel free to sign up!
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Link typo.

This one works. Not that it would be terribly demanding just to type it up on one's address bar.

Edit: On the campaign itself: gosh, it looks big! Korea, more than a half of China... You're really taking the whole concept of a "Mongol campaign" to a new level

------------------
    "The warrior's lies are called strategy -- the only honest people are the farmers and townsmen."
    - Akechi Mitsuhide

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 03-15-2001).]
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

What else do you have to say about it?

Why not a web/db app instead? The server pages can then run 'when everybody completes their turn' and provide a list of battles to be fought. Then each battle is fought on EA, and each player(s) posts their logfile for each battle afterward. Once all logfiles have been posted, the next turn starts...

And so on... until there is only one!

The dojo as a unit count limited in the army is an interesting idea -- I like that! 1 temple --> 1 WM in your army...

Woohoo!

So... will you need a dojo to get Ashigaru in your campaign?!?

If you stick to the app, how do you plan to communicate moves to other players? Surely not by asking them to email these file thingies around! Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

now i am accelerating since all pieces fall into the right places, it is like i am almost at work when doing these smart things...

i added new pics of my progress...

the battlescreen and the reinforcement screen and the game data file as it is now

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

When do you hope to be done?
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Senior Member Senior Member Zen Blade's Avatar

Magyar, are you planning to mainly focus on the mongol hordes??? Your map didn't show japan as being even a major portion of the map... I think in terms of your online campaign, a better term may be "mongol hordes killing everyone, and if we have time, let's get the japanese"... (this is meant in good humor, not insulting)

-What factions did you plan on having? a couple of mongol tribes, japanese, and chinese??

-Zen Blade

------------------
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member, Retired
    Derelict from an older age.

with the speed where i am doing things now it can be done to v1.0 within a week or so, depends how many time i must spent on "little Jingiz"

first i wanna use a map from brittan to japan but tosa and krae convinced me that mongolia-korea-china-japan would be better.... at least for now.

still i am planning a medieval one. europe/russia/moslims/china/mongolia/japan. and things added like, who controls jeruzalem, who controls the silkroad and so on...

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Hehe

Figures... a Mongol trying to conquer the world.

Why not just use a world map? We can then see if the Mongols get to colonize America first or leave it to the Europeans.

Geez... if that were the case, I would be in archery practice right now, drinking pig blood instead of sake, recounting the glory days on the steppes to the l'ill ones, killing my own peasants for fun... and my rice paddies would be in ruins!

It's a wonderful life...!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

i have put a downloadable version (1.5mb) at the site under the campaigns page.... it is not a full version but u can see what will be in it, to scroll the map and to drag and drop the armies....

it is just the exe and data file in a zip, so some may not have all the necessarry vb dll's for it . for those i suggest to downlowad my logfilereader full install first. install this so u have all dll's voor vb programms.

Looks nice so far, even though it's clearly a pre-alpha: right-clicking on the map screws the whole thing up, the tooltips are in Flamish, and (this I found hilarious) you can decrease your spending to the negative so you get infinite koku.

But keep up the good work, Magyar-sama: just don't you dare drop out of the official campaign because of this.

------------------
    "The warrior's lies are called strategy -- the only honest people are the farmers and townsmen."
    - Akechi Mitsuhide
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".

Senior Member Senior Member Zen Blade's Avatar

guys,

does anyone else get a "URL doesn't exist... page"? I haven't been able to access the page for the last two or three days

-Zen Blade

------------------
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member, Retired
    Derelict from an older age.

www.totalwar.club.tip.nl should work zen!

now i have been un-bugging all things
    input and output is 100% failproof
    mapmovement is ok now
    reinforcementscreen is almost done
    tech and spylevel increase decrease is ok

still thinking how to do the battlescreen so it has "future-value", i will add new pics tonight....

Maybe you should have read the second post besides the first one, Zen-sama: I posted both a corrected link and a direct link.

Also: the system is further improved, but I failed to grasp the logic behind the battle screen system. Do you fill it out before or after a battle? When is a turn considered over?

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 03-17-2001).]

90% version ready for download and screenpics are new....

anssi, the programm fills in many fields but some must be given by the attacker, who is the player that turn. like who wins, whereto the loser wants to retreat and the after battle koku worth of the army.

in a later version i will use some logfilereader modules so people just have to select the right logfile.

and after all battles for that turn are filled in u can save the file and sent it to the next player...