Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Borat bunched in the face

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Default Borat bunched in the face

Sometimes its best for actors to keep their character under control when dealing with people on the street.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/13112006/34...et-attack.html

And someone is not happy with the movie - I haven't seen it so I don't know the exact content of the movie.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/11112006/32...ilmmakers.html

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article...41628&GT1=7701

and finally a critic's comments

http://www.slate.com/id/2153578/?GT1=8805

Never cared for the Ali G Show, but I guess the question is for anyone that has seen the movie - does Cohen go into infantile humor like the critics are claiming?
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Default Re: Borat bunched in the face

I find the article concerning Romania hilarious.

The movie was hilarious, some peope just have no sense of humor and and pissed that they made themselves look like idiots on the big screen.

Borat plays a crude character but the jokes aren't about that, they're about how people react to him...much of the movie is unscripted.

I do find the slate article hilarious. The guy has his feathers all ruffled about a movie that isn't an attack on America.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

It's a funny movie but it is definately low brow humor. I admit I enjoyed it but I certainly didn't take it seriously. I assumed that everyone except maybe the rodeo crowd and the Christians speaking in tongues were well aware of what was going on. While it's fun to get people to slip their tongue at times I feel that he was taking advantage of peoples hospitality if most of the interviewees were honestly unaware of its intent.

I prefer humor more like the Colbert show has where things are just taken completely and obviously out of context, especially when interviewing politicians.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Forever British Member King Ragnar's Avatar

i loved the movie, very funny, if anything i think the movie shows hw mature Judaism is, if it wasa bout christianity or Islam, crusades and Jihads would have been called and he would been in big trouble, but good on the jews, for no reacting in a silly way and taking it on the chin.
    Vote For The British nationalist Party.
    Say no to multi-culturalism.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Well Borat is jewish himselve, keeps them down

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I love the idea that people made utter asses of themselves with a little instigation. So I probably will go see it. I have no sympathy for the frat boys, for example, who are suing because they made total asses of themselves. Sorry, the excuse that they were taken to a bar and loosened up first doesn't hold water (or the alcoholic beverage of their choice ). Alcohol doesn't make you say things that you don't mean, it lessens your judgment so you say things you mean that you wouldn't normally say. The excuse didn't work for Mel Gibson, either. Too bad for them.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Aenlic
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I love the idea that people made utter asses of themselves with a little instigation. So I probably will go see it. I have no sympathy for the frat boys, for example, who are suing because they made total asses of themselves. Sorry, the excuse that they were taken to a bar and loosened up first doesn't hold water (or the alcoholic beverage of their choice ). Alcohol doesn't make you say things that you don't mean, it lessens your judgment so you say things you mean that you wouldn't normally say. The excuse didn't work for Mel Gibson, either. Too bad for them.
    Yes, I loved the way they claimed he "plied them with alcoholic drinks"...as if frat boys ever needed any encouragement

It was really brilliant. Especially the hotel fight scene...

Apparently only bits where anyone genuinely knew what was going on was the Pam scene and the hooker. Everyone else was under the impression it was just some documentary, so signed all the releases without cottoning on.

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

Oh, and another thing! Some people, the frat boys included, are claiming that they were duped into signing the releases, as well. Another excuse without merit. So, sorry. If someone puts a document down in front of me and says something like, "Sign this and win a free burger and fries!" and it's 22-pages long or something, I'm going to be inclined to read the bloody thing before signing it! Even worse, how stupid do you have to be to sign something that they said was a "waiver" without reading it in its entirety. Here, sign this form which waives certain of your rights. Duh, OK!
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ragnar
    if it wasa bout christianity or Islam, crusades and Jihads would have been called and he would been in big trouble,
    You mean if it had been about Islam jihads would have been called.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Arroyo
    no i could see Christians reacting violently to it if it was about them just as Muslims would..

Oh, and another thing! Some people, the frat boys included, are claiming that they were duped into signing the releases, as well. Another excuse without merit. So, sorry. If someone puts a document down in front of me and says something like, "Sign this and win a free burger and fries!" and it's 22-pages long or something, I'm going to be inclined to read the bloody thing before signing it! Even worse, how stupid do you have to be to sign something that they said was a "waiver" without reading it in its entirety. Here, sign this form which waives certain of your rights. Duh, OK!
    I would have to agree with you. If you don't read what you are signing, or if you don't understand what your about to sign - and you do it anyway - its your own bloodly stupidity that got you into a bind.
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Quote Originally Posted by Del Arroyo
    I dont get it...

The movie was very funny, but only when not taken seriously. The people in it have no grounds to sue, as they acted as they would in that circumstance anyway. I do however have much sympathy with khazakstan, some of the khazakstani jokes are slightly too much, because it doesnt really reflect the true nature of the country..

The jewish religion has spoken out against it, but in moderation, they have impressed me by not being overly offended, i think this is for three reasons:
    1. Cohen insults everyone, and therefore noone can really claim he's overly prejudiced,
    2. Jewish jokes are not the majority in the film, and therefore do not invite the same type of criticism as a film soely based on jewish joke making
    3. He is jewish himself

if anything he is doing what mel brooks did alot along time ago, mel brooks is very funny :D

Borat is crude and scatological, but he is not the joke. The joke is how people react to him, and not just them saying "eww" to poop. The fact that they believe him is funny enough.
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

no i could see Christians reacting violently
    History and events do not bear that out.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    History and events do not bear that out.

Crazed Rabbit
    Hahaha.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Bah Red you didnt like the Ali G show??? Him interviewing Newt Gingrinch, Andy Rooney, a DEA agent and a feminist leader (just to name a few) is one of the few reasons imo to even have cable. A comedian can be hit/miss 10/90 if the 10 makes me fall out of my seat laughing.
    ]

havent seen the movie, waiting for the crowds to thin a bit
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump
    Bah Red you didnt like the Ali G show??? Him interviewing Newt Gingrinch, Andy Rooney, a DEA agent and a feminist leader (just to name a few) is one of the few reasons imo to even have cable. A comedian can be hit/miss 10/90 if the 10 makes me fall out of my seat laughing.
    ]

havent seen the movie, waiting for the crowds to thin a bit
    Well I missed those episodes. I watched two of them to give his humor a chance - just didn't find him amusing enough to really want to continue watching.

More of the dry humor type I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    More of the dry humor type I guess
    Ali-G is hardly dry humour.

That slate reviewer really couldn't have missed the point anymore if he was trying. I guess some folks don't have much of a sense of humour.

I've always enjoyed the Borat skits on the Ali-G show so I'm quite looking forward to this movie.
    and New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONxMortlock
    Ali-G is hardly dry humour.
    That was in reference to myself.

I saw the movie, I heard the Romanian, and I still think it's freaking hilarious.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoreBag
    Hahaha.
    Yeah, all that violence after the 'piss Christ' thing...oh, wait.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    That was in reference to myself.
    Ahh gotcha,

My apologies.
    and New Zealand.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Wise advice folks. THE MOST DANGEROUS thing you possess is your own signature.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

To be honest Borat is as old as Ali G. The last time I saw Borat on TV was probably back in 2002 on the Ali G show. The movie may be funny, but it's not something I'd rush out especially to see. As to his antics in the street, well he does that anyway. So he should accept the risks. I'm surprised he hasn't been assaulted before now. If you approach someone in the street trying to kiss them, you've no idea who you're dealing with. Most people will see it as a joke, a few will recognise him as who he is, though someone, who's maybe having a bad day, may react rather differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Yeah, all that violence after the 'piss Christ' thing...oh, wait.

Crazed Rabbit
    You know, I had found an article where a bunch of Christians beat a kid who called himself a Satanist within an inch of his life just for saying so. I'm too lazy to google it myself, but seriously, you must not get out much if you think Christians, especially of the Yankee variety, don't get violent for stupid reasons.

lol he has a go at me for saying muslims react to everything and when i say that alot of religions react would react he is first to defend christianity and not islam

Tell me about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast