Thread: 1 year per turn balancing mod

Default 1 year per turn balancing mod

I'm planning to make a small game balanicng mod for all of those who modded their game speed to run at 1 year per turn. Namely, in this case the number of turns is doubled so it would be sensible that structures building times would be increased too (preferably doubled). The way things are done now, you can field an army of late medieval units (without gunpowders) in 1200 or even sooner, while "older" units (like Feudal knights) become obsolete very quickly (to be more precise, they are used for only a fraction of actual game playing time). And that's certainly not realistic. Since building times would be increased, income should be slightly lowered (as you couldn't (and wouldn't need to) build structures as often as it is possible now).

Anyone interested?

Default Re: 1 year per turn balancing mod

It is right that you don't need to build sturctures that often. But decreasing the amount of income would also mean a deacrease of armies, which would make the game more static and you would have big problems, if you are attacked by three opponents at the same time (which happens quite often). At the moment you can just stop building in order to create more armies. With this decrease you would be just outnumbered without the chance to defend yourself proberly.

Of course this is just a guess, but I would suggest to not make this cutback as you have in most cases in the 2 year per turn enough money problems.

I'm planning a similar mod of my own.

So far Ive got:

1) Timescale to 0.50
    2) Quadruple build times (in some cases I will rationalise build times somewhat, so a tavern can be built in a turn, but a cathedral in 20)
    3) Increase build and unit costs.
    4) Leave income as it is, since you have four times the time to accumulate income.

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to add a culture yet? I'd like to extend the game to 1600-ish and add in the Reformation.

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

what about discoveries and advasncements in technology?

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

The reason for cutting down income is simple:since most building would take longer to build (let say that the building time would rise from 2 to 4) you would need to "buy" new building after 4 turns, not after 2. So you would have 2 more turns for accumulating extra profits.

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    what about discoveries and advasncements in technology?
    These can be added as historical events.

Quote Originally Posted by Quin
    The reason for cutting down income is simple:since most building would take longer to build (let say that the building time would rise from 2 to 4) you would need to "buy" new building after 4 turns, not after 2. So you would have 2 more turns for accumulating extra profits.
    Doesn't that assume you are not altering the build costs?

Seii Taishōgun 征夷大将軍 Member PROMETHEUS's Avatar

I mean they are random ? Or based on turn count? or year count?

Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.

VIS ET HONOR

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    I mean they are random ? Or based on turn count? or year count?
    You can give a year interval I think from which a year is randomly chosen to generate the event (probably at game start).

The events are scripted to occur X number of years from the start date.

And yes, you can specify a range of years for the events to occur also.

You have to consider population growth values also.