Thread: France

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Default France

The official thread will be used to add more information about the faction.

For now you can post anything you find useful including ideas for faction specific buildings, events, advisors etc MILITARY UNITS EXCLUDED - that is well researched and only later we will possibly need more details.

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Default Military leaders

Starting historical military leaders for France from EU2.

Code:
    historicalleader = {
    	id = { type = 6 id = 09005 }
    	category = general
    	name = "Montmorency"
    	startdate = {
    		year=1555
    	}
    	deathdate = {
    		year=1575
    	}
    	rank = 0
    	movement = 3
    	fire = 3
    	shock = 3
    	siege = 0
    	dormant = no
    }
    historicalleader = {
    	id = { type = 6 id = 09051 }
    	category = admiral
    	name = "Primauguet"
    	startdate = {
    		year=1565
    	}
    	deathdate = {
    		year=1585
    	}
    	rank = 0
    	movement = 2
    	fire = 3
    	shock = 2
    	siege = 0
    	dormant = no
    }
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Default Army and Rebellions

France had standing army in time of peace in the beginning of XVI century 10-15 000 men. Le Teliye (spell ?) became minister of war in 1643 and started reformation of French army. 1661 reformation was ended when Louis XIV became supreme commander. In 1666 French standing army had 90 000 soldiers and officers. Feudal army in France was abolished in 1675.

Rebellions in France

The reasons were: price of food, accommodation of troops in villages, inflation of money, demolition of forts, heavy taxation, actions of tax administration and upright appraisal of taxes. The most rebellions occurred between 1630 and 1660 when absolute state was formed.

Very common cause was troops who pillaged everything. One witness wrote that they are “like plague that will destroy this country”.

The most rebellions were because heavy taxation in rural areas. Start of war with Spain 1635 caused rebellions every spring! They were stopped in time of harvest. Rebellions were local, short timed and army easily put down them. The most of them were in Southeastern France were Huguenots had strong support. In 1636 was large attack on tax administrators in Limousine, Poitou, Gascoigne and Perigorne. In 1639 larges rebellion in Normandy was. The causes were several years’ bad harvest, plague and taxes. Peasants killed tax administrations and tax evidences’ books. Peasant army had 20 000 men.

Rebellions in cities were also common: Lyon (1623, 1629, 1633, and 1644), Rouen (1634-42), Bordeaux (1635 and 1675), Montpelier (1645) and Oben (1670).

Louis XIV (1661) and nature of rebellion changed. Artois and Bourbon rebelled 1662 because of high prices of food and taxation. In 1675 rebellion was in Bretagne.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

Default Re: France

the msot important part of playing as france will be becoming the first nation to utilize the bayonet. how will the bayonet be represented in the game?

If i can help about France, i can tell you something about XVII century :
    - military (for example : Turenne and Grand Condé were very important generals)
    - structure : Vauban is the most important engineer who strengthen city, port, ...
    - history : don't forget la Fronde when a part of french aristocracy want take the power.

Etc : Mazarin, historical battle : bataille des Dunes 1658 french (Turenne) against spanish (Don Juan d'Autriche and Condé) near Dunkerque ...

if you are interested, tell it me ...

I migh have some very detailed questions later.

For now - I am looking for the information about so called Royal Croats formed during L XIIIth reign ( perhaps still Richelieu's era).

I need some images, information what equipment did they use and what was their number.

Basically it is filling the blanks rather than adding something new, but I would need some information like this. ;)

I can tell you, Royal croats were some regiment of cavalery in the order of the Duke of Enghien (Grand Condé), and they serve for France in the thirty years old and some years later.

French army use them during Louis XIII and Louis XIV reign.

Some website could help you :
    http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~zzspri/li.../Cravatte.html
    http://pagesperso.aol.fr/ericmveitl/...%20cravate.jpg
    http://www.drapeaux.org/France/Ancie...al_Cravate.htm

I hope that can help you.

I know the first link. In general I would like to learn more about these units and how they were used during the 30-years war.

I know much about the original Croat cavalry used in the Imperial army , but I would like to learn if the French employed the light horsemen for a different purpose or not, how numerous was this cavalry and where they were recruited.

I find some information about royal croats.

First they are light cavalery. They represented 20% of the french cav. They used for scout, pursuit, preserv the line communication and find ennemy position.

May be they were recruited from stranger deserter croat or hungary. And especially from the republic of Raguse.

source in french :
    http://webcndp.cndp.fr/revueTDC/731-40860.htm

Two regiments on the battle of Rocroi : Croates de Raab (8 août 1641), Croates de Wümberg (18 avril 1643)

I find also the words of this regiment : Nec pluribus impar (beyond the top of all)

some uniforms : http://perso.orange.fr/gbfwss/Site%20WSS/Cavalerie.htm

And finally i find why french cavalery need stranger troups :
    - First reason, France don't have war horse
    - second reason, the regiment belongs to a captain, and the captain do economy by low cost horse.

For this two reason, the french cavalery is very badly without stranger regiment.

I try to find more information, but it's very hard because we don't have a lot of information about them ...