Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Writing Group Meeting

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Default Second Writing Group Meeting

Second Writing Group Meeting!

ok, we should maybe start of with getting to what we like writing about (writers), so if you could post here thanks, than we can start thinking about abook.

Retired Member matteus the inbred's Avatar

Default Re: Second Writing Group Meeting

Ok then - here's some possible things people could decide on
    Themes;
    specifically military
    historical but not necessarily military
    mystery/espionage
    fantasy
    about one person or many

Time period;
    pre-classical
    classical
    dark age
    medieval
    renaissance
    17th century
    18th century
    Napoleonic
    19th century
    WW1 period
    WW2 period
    modern

I'm happy doing fantasy but this may not be widely popular. Historically I suppose the medieval and 18th/19th centuries would be my preference, and I am more at home writing military stuff than anything else.
    Support Your Local Pirate

Ahaaaaaar

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool Re: Second Writing Group Meeting

Warluster, initially I thought we had chosen what we would be writing for. Or maybe I was wrong?

Anyway, I'll list my interests.

Medieval history of any kind (esp. Byzantine ); to tell you the truth I am interested in the history of Japan and China so it would be a challenge for me to write about them. ( this paragraph contains my love - I love Medieval history)

The history from 1453 to the WW1 (including the latter) is also interesting one.

By the way when we start?

P.S. I have not discovered my style yet. But I like to put a little bit horror ( but trying to be in a very small quantities since I do not like horror stories) in my stories and to depict vicious people. On the other hand I like to depict people around them. In short, I like to put my characters on tests. Some win but other lose.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 11-17-2006 at 19:39.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i write about anything that pops up in my head... im currently writing a LoTR kinda story... so its fantasy i guess... but i hate dragons and stuff, nothing wrong with mysteries though... anyway i like most of the things Stephen wrote down... but i want to choose what im going to write about myself

We do not sow.

Anything, preferably dark fantasy or historical in nature.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

I'd perfer historical (preferably 1700's) but could settle for anything really.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

WW1 maybe an alternative history book too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

So we all like either WW1 or 1700's,1800's. Lets have a vote,

WW1-II
    Napleonic-
    1700's-IIII
    Last edited by Warluster; 11-23-2006 at 07:48.

Blog Entries

I'd go for 1700's
    R.I.P. Tosa...

1700's
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Wwi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

1700s
    (the French and Indian Wars or Marlborough or something like that would be fun...)

Ahaaaaaar

1700s. Great Northern War, perhaps?

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

World War I... i barely know a thing about the 1700's

We do not sow.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Themes;
    specifically military
    historical but not necessarily military
    fantasy
    Time period;
    medieval
    renaissance
    17th century
    19th century
    WW1 period
    modern

those would be good IMO.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Talking Re: Second Writing Group Meeting

crap...computer fudged up and I lost my post...long story short I like making original topics, and making maps for new worlds.

And if I have to vote between those topics...WWI
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Votes stand at:
    1700: 4
    WWI: 3
    So it looks like 1700's the options that stand out are the War of spainish sucession, The war of austrian sucession, The great Northern War and the Seven years war.

Quick summerys http://www.zum.de/whkmla/military/18cen/18cenindex.html
    -Stephen Crane

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

1700s for me.
    I don't know much about the Great Northern War, but it would be great to write about great figures such as Friedrich der Grosse, John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough or Prince Eugen of Savoy.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Doing something like the 7 Year War or the 30 year old would be a good topic IMO..

so... what are we going to do now?

We do not sow.

Now we need the first chapter, who wants to write a frist chapter, when we have decided who, maybe a topic in 1700s than. 7 year war defintly sounds exciting, we should decide stuff like characters as well.

Seven Years' War seems to be ok by most people? There's also the Wars of Spanish (Marlborough, Eugene, etc.) and Austrian Succession (Frederick the Great again...)

I suggest we have several of the main characters from one nation and add 'diplomatic', 'emigree' or 'mercenary' characters from others. A dramatic way to kick off a story could be to start with a major battle that ends in defeat for the main character, thus allowing him to turn the tide in the rest of the story, but we could always go the other way or start with something other than fighting...the 7YW had naval actions too.

OK. I will write a rough opening chapter based on the 7YW, as I've just had an idea of what to write, and I will try to introduce a number of 'characters' into it...perhaps if anyone likes the characters, we can continue on with one or more plotlines based on them, even going 'back' to fill in backstory...
    That didn't take long:

Opening Chapter

1757: pour encourager les autres…

The scuffling thud of boots on timber abruptly ceased, allowing the tension to creep back into the cold March morning air, chilling it even further. The creaking of ropes began to intensify as the gentle stirring waves of the morning tide grew in vigour. Not even the sea breeze, now spiriting away the last remnants of morning mist, could conceal the pervading smell of tar, filth and bilges that hung in the air. It seemed to radiate from the massive sides of the battleship. Like her sister ships of the line, HMS Monarch had nothing of subtlety about her, and everything of brute power. Although French-built and captured in ’47 at Cape Finisterre, she was now a third rate ship of the line in the world’s greatest fleet, the Royal Navy of Britain. Her two gun decks, their red painted ports closed now, carried 74 guns, and her crew of 563 officers and seamen manned them with trained and practised efficiency. Not today though. Today, the world would see why Britain’s fleet was and intended to remain the defining naval power of the age.
    Colonel Franz Von Staupfen, official military attaché to the Prussian embassy in Britain, stared gloomily at the grey green waters undulating past the warship’s bows. He was not entirely sure why he had been sent post-haste down to Portsmouth for this charade. Prussia did not own a fleet of any significance. His master, Freidrich der Grosse, King in Prussia, did not see the point in entering a race he was sure to lose, when, with the fine Prussian army, he had already entered a race he could certainly win. To Von Staupfen’s mind, the scene he was about to witness confirmed his views. To be sure, Britain needed a navy; she was an island and depended on trade. Prussia did not.
    Von Staupfen sighed. He longed to be back with his regiment and not stuck in this wretched country full of fat merchants, sly politicians and pontificating fools. England seemed full of loud, boorish and overly mannered people, worse even than the effeminate politicians and drawing-room gossips of France. In Prussia people stood straight and strong and spoke only of their pride and duty to the State, and as for the army, what a thing to behold, an oiled and perfect machine designed solely for the people’s protection...!
    “Don’t worry my dear Colonel, we’ll be done soon! As it is in everything else, the navy is terribly efficient at shooting admirals!”
    The Prussian started. His portly and effusive companion, Mister Jeremiah Coles, chuckled at the soldier’s obvious discomfort and took another swig from his hip flask of fine French brandy. He was enjoying the day, and in no way averse to seeing an execution. The main deck of the Monarch was lined on three sides by the ship’s marines, resplendent in red tunics, white breeches and the odd single cross-belt that differentiated them from the soldiers of the British Army, as marines did not carry marching packs, having the navy to transport them about. Along with a half dozen senior naval officers, looking stern in blue and white splashed with gold frippery, several senior civilians and a scattering of witnesses and attachés lurked about the crowd that jostled behind the marines. The final side of the deck contained one figure, lonely and forlorn as only a man about to be shot by his own side could look.

John Byng, Viscount of Torrington and Admiral until his recent court-martial, stood in white breeches and stockings, shirt and waistcoat, hard up against the larboard rail. Fleshy and broad-faced, possessed of a studied dignity, he nevertheless appeared pale and tired, without hat or wig. This was the man upon whom the British government and naval establishments had poured their scorn and censure for his failure to ‘do his utmost’ in striking the first decisive blow of Europe’s latest war, the relief of Fort St Philip on Minorca. Coles, one of the men who had had a hand in that decision, privately believed that a sentence of death was fully unjustified despite the recent alterations to the Articles of War which allowed it. For public consumption, someone had to be offered up as an example to Britain’s allies, and Byng was simply the unlucky first opportunity to present itself. The Admiralty could huff and puff about preserving the honour and tradition of the navy, but Coles, Assistant to the Secretary of State for War and head of Britain’s network of European agents, knew better. It was not this Prussian martinet of a colonel that he wished to impress this day, nor the other assembled dignitaries, nor the navy.
    Turning his head, he caught the eye of the small man standing behind Von Staupfen. Karl Brecht, dressed in grey and brown and utterly convincing as a functionary, gazed dispassionately at Coles for a mere instant and then turned to watch as, with a clatter of boots, a squad of eight marines marched two abreast up the gangway and lined up facing Byng. As the chaplain and presiding officer followed them, Coles peered at the crowd opposite. Behind the cordon of tall marines, he spotted his other guest, Monsieur Jean-Paul Fralesnes, apparently sous-adjutant to the French attaché for Trade. Fralesnes, ever the actor, was a grey haired and dishevelled looking man of medium height whose very appearance suggested disinterest and distaste. In reality, Coles knew, the man would be scrutinising everything.

The mumbling of the chaplain and the sonorous recital of the sentence passed Coles by, unnoticed. Byng was being shot not for failing in action, but for coming back to England with a secret that must not be made public, a secret that he had acquired precisely written knowledge of during the attempted relief of Minorca, a secret whose only evidence now presumably lay in the hands of the French who had captured the island. Coles must now activate his agents and spies, and discover the whereabouts of the secret, and who knew it, before it fell into the wrong hands, and to do so he needed the aid of the two men he had invited unobtrusively to the main deck of the HMS Monarch for just such a purpose…

‘No sir, I’ll not be blindfolded! Take your aim, damn your eyes!’
    Byng shrugged off the sergeant-at-arms and stood straight, chest outthrust, staring defiantly into the black muzzles of eight Sea Pattern flintlock muskets. ‘If I must be shot thus sirs, I shall die in the traditions of the Navy which I am wrongly accused of forsaking! For my country’s sake I have concealed certain truths about certain matters, sirs, but one day they shall become known, and I shall be exonerated.’
    Coles felt panic rising in his bowels. What was the fool going to let slip? They had Byng's log and all his personal effects, and his will had been strictly scrutinised. Certain payments to certain people had allowed Coles to ensure that no hidden bequests had been made by the doomed man. He asserted control, masking his face and allowing no twitch of his eyes towards either Fralesnes or Brecht, preparing himself for damage limitation.
    Instead, Byng shouted the hoarse words, ‘Long live England! Long live the King!’

‘Cock your muskets!’
    A series of heavy and ominous clicks as the flintlocks were drawn back.
    ‘Take your aim!’
    Silence. A cough. Men swallowed with dry throats, looked away, looked back as if unable to prise their gaze from the tableau.
    Byng closed his eyes, opened them again, and breathed deeply…
    ‘Fire!’
    The sudden crash made almost everyone present jump, seagulls leaped wheeling and shrieking from the rigging and the flat crackle of sound echoed and walloped across the waves and back from the harbour wall. Byng’s chest erupted in blood and shreds of cloth and bone as the volley flung him against the rail and dropped him twitching to the deck, his last breath bubbling through the ruined lungs. The officer in charge waited for the filthy grey gunsmoke to clear, then walked cautiously over to the corpse and hefted his pistol uncertainly, considering the coup de grace. Seeing no evidence of life, he un-cocked the weapon and paced slowly back to the panel of Admiralty officials.
    ‘Sirs, the sentence is served.’
    Solemn nods all around. The deck began to clear, nervous stares at the bloodied body on the deck as people hustled away down the gangplanks. Coles, filled with relief, strolled casually over to Von Staupfen.
    ‘Ah, my good colonel, perhaps you would like to take a glass of wine and some breakfast with me? I suspect we have matters to discuss relating to military trade.’
    As Von Staupfen made his usual brusque assent and headed for the gangplank, Brecht in tow giving no hint of recognition, Coles turned and smiled thinly. Fralesnes he had already invited privately by code, and the Frenchman now strode from the deck, the slightest indolent gesture from his gloved hand indicating his assent to a meeting. Feeling some hope that Byng’s disaster might not reverberate any further, Coles followed his guest out to the carriages they would take separately and by circuitous routes to the meeting place…

In his carriage, Von Staupfen pondered the byplay he had seen. He knew why Brecht had been foisted on him by the Prussian diplomatic corps, and what his mission ostensibly was, but an obvious invitation to a meeting that was a mere façade could only mean that someone was trying to contact Brecht using himself as a cover. And why involve that Frenchman? Who else could be involved? Most importantly, why had Byng been shot? Obviously for failing to carry out his orders, but why, if he had kept the secret that he was supposed to keep, had he not been given another chance, or been given new orders rather than being allowed to withdraw and thus allowing the secret to be captured? Why this tentative approach?
    Franz Von Staupfen, personal agent to Frederick the Great of Prussia and head of his elite Guards regiment, began to feel uncertain as he had not done in a long time…

Lady Alison Barwick lowered her elegant spyglass and dropped the window sash of her carriage. There were some places in society to which a well-bred woman could not go, and an execution was definitely one of them. Lady Alison’s thin, coldly beautiful features remained impassive, but she concealed a growing excitement at the thought that she might be on to something. That revolting little man, Coles, had definitely convened some kind of meeting, and unless she missed her guess, that Prussian officer was not the intended target of such a meeting. Perhaps she could find out…there was a soiree at the Duke of Cumberland’s house on Grosvenor Street this Friday. Smiling, she called to her driver.
    ‘Reeves, drive me to the Red Lion Tavern, and then go and find Mr Longley. I have a job for him.’
    Society may have some places a well-bred woman could not go, but fortunately she knew an ill-bred man who could get in anywhere…

Giles Longley swore softly. Dark shadows slipping from pillar to pillar made little noise, but under his own barely controlled breathing he could hear the creak of cautious footsteps approaching his hiding place. Gripping his knives, he filled his lungs in preparation and vowed never to undertake missions in the Whitechapel rookeries ever again and never mind the money…
    END

So, there you go. Something of a plot, some characters with minimal backstory and characteristics, and an overall background. It could certainly be adapted to the earlier wars of Spanish or Austrian Succession, and could go anywhere from here...the battlefields of Europe, the Mediterranean, North America. I'm eager for this not to turn into a 'Sharpe' style thing, but equally I think a chapter with a big set-piece battle in would be good. Tolstoy managed it, after all...as for the 'secret', hell, it could be anything from blackmail documents (against William Pitt the Elder, perhaps) to something as fantastical as a treasure map. If adapted to one of the wars of succession it could even be a vital document proving that someone very important is actually illegitimate, say...
    Last edited by matteus the inbred; 11-27-2006 at 18:07.

Ahaaaaaar

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Second Writing Group Meeting

Very, very good, matteus! But before going any further isn't it better to choose the country (ies) where the plot will take place?

Edited: Since this is one of the most important parts of the writing, probably more time is required (definately more than one or two days). Thus the witers and the researchers will have more time to think of possible scenario connected with the political intrigue typical for a certain country.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 11-27-2006 at 22:38.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Wink Re: Second Writing Group Meeting

Very good, I like this very much, Matteus the inbred has had a go so if anyone else would read it and maybe continue on, please PM me before so so we dont have 5 people doing 1 chapter. Stephen Asen, are you saying the scnario at the time and diplomatic relations?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Asen
    Very, very good, matteus! But before going any further isn't it better to choose the country (ies) where the plot will take place?

Edited: Since this is one of the most important parts of the writing, probably more time is required (definately more than one or two days). Thus the witers and the researchers will have more time to think of possible scenario connected with the political intrigue typical for a certain country.
    Thank you. Certainly, I think much more research could be done on who might be in what positions etc.etc., and more plausible characters and so forth. I only vaguely researched Byng and the Minorca campaign, and obviously the central intrigue of the plot and the general politics of the period are completely open to further work.
    As Warluster says, we need to see someone fill more of that stuff in. This opening scene easily could be in Prussia (one of Frederick the Great's early associates was judicially beheaded, IIRC), or France, e.g...

Ahaaaaaar

i doubt i can be of any help in this story... 1700's really isnt my era...

We do not sow.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Second Writing Group Meeting

Warluster, I did not mean only this aspect. Some countries are really extremely suitable for developing a plot full with intrigues. I think most people here would need some time to make a little unofficial research in order to find out some interesting details that could be useful for a plot. Warluster , isn't it a little bit early for writing? We still do not know the background. Otherwise, I am ready to participate in the first chapter when I learn the details (like the country, exact year and period; but they should be chosen very carefully ( probably several surveys on different countries should be run)).

Second, I think we will need a system for exchanging info without allowing the audience ( which will read the product) to know all the details. Probably PMs would be OK for this purpose (at least I did not know a better system. Or am I wrong?)
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Asen

I have an idea: each of us chooses a character in a particular country, from whose perspective we write. These characters all collide in the end in a battle or some such. A bit like the Winds of War or War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

That sounds pretty fun, what does everyone else think?

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Talking Re: Second Writing Group Meeting

I like it. That way, no one can come up and ruin what you are trying to write with a nonsensical post...like a baby-eating troll(read the "another story game" thread)!!!
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast