Thread: Washing away the traces of the revolution

Gentis Daciae Member Cronos Impera's Avatar

Default Washing away the traces of the revolution

16 Years after the Romanian Revolution Mayor Videanu (a guy who never actually graduated highschool and is mayor of Bucharest) wants to demolish Revolution Square to build some office buildings.

Here is Revolution Square with the new proposed buildings (shown here in blue)

Here is Revolution Square as it should be (bright green areas are currently parking lots)

For Americans.
    Has any NY Mayor tried to build an office building on Coney Island or has any Washington Mayor tried to build a skyscraper in front of the US Congress?
    Well, here the democratic mayor tries to build some skyscrapers on the site where hundreds of citizens died to overthrow the Communist regime and destroy the memorial built to honour them.
    " If you don't want me, I want you! Alexandru Lapusneanul"
    "They are a stupid mob, but neverless they are a mob! Alexandru Lapusneanul"

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

Default Re: Washing away the traces of the revolution

I understand your point. Welcome to the world of Western corporate capitalism. If it makes someone money, all other considerations are secondary.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

Well, they are rebuilding on Ground Zero (9/11) aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Well, they are rebuilding on Ground Zero (9/11) aren't they?
    Right, but their building supposedly innovative skyscrapers that are supposed to break engineering bounds and what not. Also, there's the inscribed "memorial cavern/garden/fountain" thing that is supposed to be out-front. Last time I heard, plans have changed, though.

Still, it's supposed to be impressive and evoke emotion, so I guess it would count as a memorial.

Back on topic, I think that this destruction of history is absurd and disgusting, not to mention disrespectful.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Cronos , you must have noticed the huge surge in landprices , not just in the capital but rural areas as well over these past couple of years , even a run-down communist era apartment is fetching big bucks now .
    Prime land in the city centre is an attractive option for developers (and a few envelopes stuffed with cash open all the planning doors they need) .
    Welcome to the west .
    However , it doesn't mean you have to accept it . With sites that have such historical relevance (and not only recent history) it should be easy to get enough popular support to launch a major protest , plus with the recent push against corruption (for EU membership) a few words with the relevant investigative bodies into the activities and finances of the developers and politicians involved can yield some very good results .

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

That's a very good point, Tribesman. Use the bureaucracy against the developers. Deliciously ironic. I love it.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)