Thread: Human shield deters Israel strike

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar

Default Human shield deters Israel strike

Link

The think that I was surprised about is that israel regularly fires missiles at houses after asking everyone to leave??!? To make the Palestinian's lives that little bit worse?

I don't agree with the Israel's firing missiles into another state (there's many other things I don't agree with what israel does, but others aren't relavant), but at least illegally assassinating people has a reason. Demolishing houses with missiles seems insanity.

Can anyone else explain what the purpose of this is? I imagine that palestinians know this can happen, and so either have essential stuff duplicated, or easily mobile.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Default Re: Human shield deters Israel strike

Purpose? To show people that their houses can be demolished at any time, and without risking Israeli lives.
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

That's basically it. Israel practices state terrorism. Its a horrific double standard when they complain about a few Hezbollah rockets. Not that Hezbollah are justified but its rather like the pot calling the kettle black.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

This is a step in the right direction for Palestinians. Instead of replying to Isreali attack with missles they are participating in a mass act of civil disobedience. If the trend continues then there is real hope in the Middle East.
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Like JimBob said this is a good thing for the Palestinians, perhaps with they'll see that they will gain more from peaceful resistance to the Israelies than blowing themselves up or lopping rockets and mortars into Israel. Hopefully this becomes a more common practice, instead I imagaine that they'll just do this to protect themselves while continuing to fire rockets/mortars and blow themselves up.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk
    Quit smoking. You're a doctor, and that's just wrong.

The point, i would think, is to punish people who support terror against israel.

From the article that I doubt many read:

Mr Baroud is a commander in the Popular Resistance Committees militant group.
    He is extremely lucky that he was told beforehand that his home would be destroyed. Terrorists deserve nothing of the sort.

They should have destroyed the home anyway. The more terrorist and terrorist supporters dead the better.

Weakness is the worst thing you can demonstrate in front of hostile muslims.
    ...trying to remember to spell check...

Here in Germany on the news they said he is supposed to be that which sounds like it's not (yet) proven.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

They should have destroyed the home anyway. The more terrorist and terrorist supporters dead the better.
    You think Isreal can drop a bomb on hundreds of unarmed civilians and get away with it? Even the US wouldn't veto the UN condemning that. It is a step in the right direction for Palestine. They are using non-Violent protest to protect a violent person. Maybe tommorow they will stage a sit-in at one of the boarder checkpoints. I have hope that this will lead to the struggle finding a peaceful conclusion.
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

I "may" only work for missiles. There was another incident when a group of women tried to protect a group of militants positioned in a mosque during a fire fight with Izraeli troops. linky

In future, I think the IDF will just fire without warning. If they kill some civilians they can claim a "technical failure".
    * Never take an eejit with you on a journey. You can always pick one up when you get there.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

PotP: If one takes your assertion and transposes:

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of the Poodles
    Weakness is the worst thing you can demonstrate in front of hostile Israelis.
    you might get a clue as to why that region is such a mess. Both sides use the other's terror to justify terror of their own.

Non-violence on both sides is the only way forward to peace - and firm advocacy of non-violence by both sides' supporters would go a long way to achieving the desired effect.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of the Poodles
    Weakness is the worst thing you can demonstrate in front of hostile muslims.
    Brutal massacre on the "non hostile Muslim" side will still not solve anything.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER
    Brutal massacre on the "non hostile Muslim" side will still not solve anything.
    Hey, no people, no problem.
    If you're fighting fair you've made a miscalculation.

Quote Originally Posted by ezrider
    In future, I think the IDF will just fire without warning. If they kill some civilians they can claim a "technical failure".
    Like earlier this month when they slaughtered nineteen people in Beit Hanoun? Oops. Technical failure...
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family - Nazanin

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drish
    Like earlier this month when they slaughtered nineteen people in Beit Hanoun? Oops. Technical failure...
    Do we want this thread to turn out just like all the others?

I can can easily point to hundreds of documented cases where Palestinians deliberately targeted innocent Israelis.

But there really is no point in that.

Both sides are doing bad things. The Israelis are fueled by fear, and the Palestinians are fueled by hate.

I'm not sure which is worse...
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Disgusting.
    Though, what can one expect from a nation which elects mass murderers into office?

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    Do we want this thread to turn out just like all the others?

I can can easily point to hundreds of documented cases where Palestinians deliberately targeted innocent Israelis.

But there really is no point in that.

Both sides are doing bad things. The Israelis are fueled by fear, and the Palestinians are fueled by hate.

I'm not sure which is worse...
    God forbid.

And you are right, there is no point, because that is how terrorism works.

But Im not sure I agree with the last sentiment. I think both sides are driven by fear and hate.
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family - Nazanin

I genuinely think that it was a good of the Palestinians to use non violent means to prevent that strike. It would seem that if they avoided getting bombed long enough, it would eliminate 'retaliations' from the militias. if the wheel of violence could be slowed, then that could pave the way for a real ceasefire and maybe even a solution.

My only fear is that the more stupid/bloodthirsty militias will think that they can attack with impunity as long as there are enough bodies to protect them.
    In which case the same stupid/bloodthirsty Israeli types will attack and play dumb about it.

fyi: the org spellchecker doesn't recognise the word "ceasefire".
    * Never take an eejit with you on a journey. You can always pick one up when you get there.

I doubt that there will be an end to violence until Isreal goes back to it's UN designated borders and stops hiding behind western backers and propaganda.

I don't think one can really justify the Isreali staes actions in the region.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Mass murderers into office. Are we talking about Palestine, Israel or America here? you wern't clear.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk
    Mass murderers into office. Are we talking about Palestine, Israel or America here? you wern't clear.

Well it can't be the United States. Prior convictions of mass murder prevents one's ability to run for officer.

Now what they do while in office could be considered a different story.....
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ezrider

fyi: the org spellchecker doesn't recognise the word "ceasefire".
    Of course it doesn't, it's totalwar.org

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg
    Well it can't be the United States. Prior convictions of mass murder prevents one's ability to run for officer.
    Would this bar from office people like Menachem Begin and Yitzhak Shamir, who led organisations that were described by their own governments as terrorist groups?

As long as you didn't pull the trigger yourself it's OK... And to get power in the USA you need to be so rich of course you can afford someone else to do the dirty work.