Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swearing...

Default Swearing...

Hi,

Just wanted to pick a point about org's swearing policy.

I hate to pick on frogbeategg for my example but...this is in the m2tw faction guides forum, stickied thread:

the org has a strict no swearing policy, and it will be enforeced here with an iron fist. We have a widely varied membership, consisting of many ages and cultures; many members have children. Therefore a PG language level is aimed at.
    Medieval 2 guides forum will only be posted in/read by people who have the game. The game is 16+.

So people are old enough to buy cigarettes, learn to drive a motorbike, but not read swearing?

Default Re: Swearing...

so you want to go to PG-13?
    i guess people could say f***, b**** and etc. freely.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

That's the age people will be able to buy the game by themselves. I honestly have no idea how well most shops enforce this age limit (if at all), but otherwise kids could and do still get the game from their parents.

Besides, other TW games are rated differently. Both my MTW and STW copy are rated 12+. If fans of these games venture in the MTW2 boards, they'd encounter language that's not appropriate for their age.

Besides, I'm sure most people here like the fact that patrons are expected to express themselves without using foul language.

really its rated "T" meaning 13+ (in America)

PapaSmurf Senior Member Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe's Avatar

No thanks.

I am already hurt when I see some leet speech, I don't want swearing on top...

Louis,
    [FF] Louis St Simurgh / The Simurgh

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

It's naive to think only 16+ will play M2TW. We had a salient example of that recently, with Tibilicus winning the M2TW preview event competition and then being denied access because he was under age.

And my Euro MTW (the original) is 11+.

My 10 year old occasionally reads these forums over my shoulders and I don't particularly like telling him what a particular lewd initialisation means, for example. It's not a big deal, but it is rather ugly.

But I agree with Kralizec, the swearing band is not just to "protect the kids" but also to create a pleasant, courteous atmosphere. Swearing is fine between friends who know each other and are happy with such language. But the Org is a very different setting - a world community, in which complete strangers meet, sometimes lock horns and ideally become friends. I think the swearing ban makes that ideal outcome more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    It's naive to think only 16+ will play M2TW. We had a salient example of that recently, with Tibilicus winning the M2TW preview event competition and then being denied access because he was under age.

And my Euro MTW (the original) is 11+.

My 10 year old occasionally reads these forums over my shoulders and I don't particularly like telling him what a particular lewd initialisation means, for example. It's not a big deal, but it is rather ugly.

But I agree with Kralizec, the swearing band is not just to "protect the kids" but also to create a pleasant, courteous atmosphere. Swearing is fine between friends who know each other and are happy with such language. But the Org is a very different setting - a world community, in which complete strangers meet, sometimes lock horns and ideally become friends. I think the swearing ban makes that ideal outcome more likely.
    well said.

You quoted your answer when you copied over my words

We have a widely varied membership, consisting of many ages and cultures; many members have children. Therefore a PG language level is aimed at.
    What offends one is harmless to another, and vice versa, all the more so when different cultures are meeting in the same place. M2TW may be rated 16, but RTW was only rated 12 in the UK. We have parents with young children who come and sit on their knee (or otherwise bother them) as they read our forums. We also aim for a courteous, mature atmosphere, and swearing spoils that.

I've never felt swearing to be any useful part of conversation anyway. There are so many more inventive ways of expressing those kinds of sentiments, and without dipping into crudity.

Interestingly, one of the stricter parts of the no swearing rule originated in the backroom, not one of the fluffy forums. That's the rule about blotting out the entire word with no letters left.
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 11-19-2006 at 22:14.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rated "T" Here, MTW2, for +13

Being 14, Almost 15 in a few months, I really don't mind Minior Swearing. With Minior, I mean Words like Hell (I am allowed to say that) and Dang. Poop is a rather strong word in my IMO,if you use it wrong, so is F.... and others. But minior swearing isn't bad when you use it in a Argument in a Civilised Way. Though You don't know if you got 8-10 year old kids reading these fourms with their Partents, it may be bad enough for the kids to ask their partents, about people shooting themselves in their nuts with a nailgun or something, and it worser for the kids to see the Letter F and MF all over the place..

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

There are a million forums on the net that allow swearing. The Org. is not one of them.

The non-swearing crowd are allowed their forums too.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

One word: civility

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    We also aim for a courteous, mature atmosphere, and swearing spoils that.
    Voilà. The rule is sane and sensible in and of itself. Both young and adult members and visitors need to (learn to) be able to communicate without swearing, insults or rokxor interference because it makes this forum a much better place.

EDIT

.. and it improves one's spelling
    Last edited by Adrian II; 11-20-2006 at 02:00.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

For what it is worth, I concur with the no swearing policy. As has already been said by members more articulate than myself, at the end of the day, the whole idea of this forum is to exchange ideas, suggestions, and experiences and not offend anyone in the process (or so it appeared to me).

Yes, it is true that swearing may not offend all - but it will offend some, and for that reason it should have no place here. In any case there's plenty of other ways to express one's views without stooping to swearing.

anyway that's just my crack brained view....

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Diction and lexical choice. Makes the Org. a better place.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamff
    In any case there's plenty of other ways to express one's views without stooping to swearing.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Post Re: Swearing...

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch
    Medieval 2 guides forum will only be posted in/read by people who have the game. The game is 16+.
    Something I just witnessed on Friday:
    A thirteen year old teenager boasting about his new copy of M2TW.
    It has an age limit, but very rarely people actually obey it. If shops refuses to sell it to people younger than the limit then the parents go and buy it for the child. Anyway, it's viewable by anybody, not just those who have the game or are over sixteen.

And well said econ21.
    Last edited by MSB; 11-20-2006 at 09:56.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I really don't mind swearing that much. I think most of the people on this forum would not take offence to it. I can honestly say i couldn't care less about swearing even if they are directed at me. If its used in moderation i have no trouble with it. I can understand coming down on constant swearing and the use of certain words but for the majority i'm not that bothered

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    There are a million forums on the net that allow swearing. The Org. is not one of them.

The non-swearing crowd are allowed their forums too.

Precisely.

Swearing is offensive and unhelpful. I don't see that it has much to do with upsetting young people - it upsets me, and I'm ancient.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    I really don't mind swearing that much. I think most of the people on this forum would not take offence to it. I can honestly say i couldn't care less about swearing even if they are directed at me. If its used in moderation i have no trouble with it. I can understand coming down on constant swearing and the use of certain words but for the majority i'm not that bothered
    And that's from an ASSISTANT MODERATOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch
    Hi,

Just wanted to pick a point about org's swearing policy.

I hate to pick on frogbeategg for my example but...this is in the m2tw faction guides forum, stickied thread:

So people are old enough to buy cigarettes, learn to drive a motorbike, but not read swearing?

I suppose that policy applies "across the board". All of the forums are viewable, and I suppose it would be a rather senseless move to allow swearing in the M2TW forum and change the permissions on that particular forum to force login in order to view and post. Other TW games are not 16+ rated, they are lower IIRC.

Swearing only lowers the tone and brings standards down into the gutter. There are plenty of blinged up forums like that, generally populated by morons that do nothing all day except insult each other, insult newcomers and pretend to be "gangsters". Civility costs nothing. Personally if I join a forums that I afterwards find isn't at all civil, and condones this sort of behaviour, I don't stay there long.

Some peoples idea of swearing is different to others. I suppose swearing used as a personal insult or any insulting language is worse than using the word ____ in a sentence such as "I'm ____ at this game!", though "I'm useless at this game!" sounds alot better in my opinion. Also there are some words that are not really swearing in some parts of the world that are swearing in another, so really it's probably better to avoid a particular word if there's any doubts about how it could be perceived.

At the end of the day using "leet" talk (thankfully dying out), numerous swearwords and local expressions such as "wassup", "innit" or "meh" "yeah" etc is only going to make you less easily understood, will often cause your posts to be ignored, and earn you somewhat of a, possibly unwarranted, reputation. It also appears very immature.

Quote Originally Posted by Avlvs Libvrnivs Britannicvs Maximvs
    So?

Being an assistant mod doesn't mean he can't have a personal opinion, does it?
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndresTheCunning
    So?

Being an assistant mod doesn't mean he can't have a personal opinion, does it?
    Good point.

We are members rather than the staff moderating The Org. It's not like we are gathering at a castle every Thursday and alter the things the way we wish and enjoy ourselves in the harem later on. We are members.

Ok I should confess that at least we wished for such a gathering but, you know, we needed to be as rich as Tom Cruise to rent a castle, what's more I'd prefer conquering the world if I were that rich.

I don't give a F&*$ in H@ll what you S@y! My 12 year old brother goes to these forums! (And you thought I had only one vote on the polls ;)).

No F^ck!ing Swearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk
    I don't give a ***** what you S@y! My 12 year old brother goes to these forums! (And you thought I had only one vote on the polls ;)).

No **** Swearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fixed it for you.

Prepare yourself for a two day holiday

Ja mata, TosaInu

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Swearing is a weak mind's attempt to express itself forcibly.
    Status Emeritus

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manco Capac
    At the end of the day using "leet" talk (thankfully dying out), numerous swearwords and local expressions such as "wassup", "innit" or "meh" "yeah" etc is only going to make you less easily understood, will often cause your posts to be ignored, and earn you somewhat of a, possibly unwarranted, reputation.

You have been reading a public service announcement on behalf of Adrian II ®
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    Swearing is a weak mind's attempt to express itself forcibly.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avlvs Libvrnivs Britannicvs Maximvs
    Whats your point? My Opinion is my own business. It doesn't effect my duties as an AM does it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    Whats your point? My Opinion is my own business. It doesn't effect my duties as an AM does it?
    It does slightly. It basically means that if somebody was to start swearing in one of your forums you would be more relaxed on the matter and perhaps just tell the individual to stop rather than warning them like another moderator would do should they find swearing on their forums. What you believe goes against the forum rules. Moderators/Assistant Moderators should believe in the rules. If they don't then what example does it set to members?
    Last edited by MSB; 11-20-2006 at 21:34.

Can't agree more with what has already been said :

1. Swearing is not necessary,2. it does not improve discussions 3. and does not help to create a construcive atmosphere. 4.If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else.
    Abandon all hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast