Thread: Burning oil from castle doors ?

Default Burning oil from castle doors ?

I miss that feature from RTW ! The gate models have gutters, but they never pour anything from them. No rocks from the walls either, no way to push back ladders... Only stupid archers firing vertically when the enemy is too close from the wall, instead of leaning from the wall.

Default Re: Burning oil from castle doors ?

Yeah, I have to agree - expecially the ladders thing. Why can't a bunch of spearmen shove ladders away from walls? And why, oh why do archers completely fail to hit anything close to the wall when that should be easiest?
    Isn't it funny how people trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell?

With their great AI they would shoot their own foot.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Well, the shovng the ladders away thing is not in RTW so no surprised there...

But the burning oil from the gate?? In MTW (after patches or possibly VI), in RTW but not in M2TW??

A mistake surely?

Have you seen the price of a barrel of oil these days? Far too expensive stuff to go wasting on an enemy's hairdo.

Probably too expensive back then as well.

I always thought the oil was overpowered in RTW.
    Last edited by Freedom Onanist; 11-20-2006 at 16:26.
    Cheers,
    The Freedom Onanist

Quote Originally Posted by maestro
    Why can't a bunch of spearmen shove ladders away from walls?
    Perhaps game balance issues.

This would pretty much make ladders useless. Or at least gimped to the point where using them would be stupid.
    Current Campaigns:

No, it just means that a unit of men would have more than four ladders between them. It would be much better to be able to defend against ladders but only if the attacking forces brought hundreds of ladders with them!
    Isn't it funny how people trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell?

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

I wouldve been a good thing to add, just because it would look really cool to have a ladder pushed away from the wall once in a while, and have some of your men fall to their deaths. Have to make it happen not too often, say, once or twice maximum per set of four ladders, so as not to be too unbalancing. Maybe make it harder to achieve if the men at the top of the wall are being pinned down by archer fire - add a bit more tactics to the mix.

And you wouldnt have to bring hundreds of ladders, maestro. As far as i am aware, ladders are re-usable, even after theyve fallen over

Quote Originally Posted by Daveybaby
    I wouldve been a good thing to add, just because it would look really cool to have a ladder pushed away from the wall once in a while, and have some of your men fall to their deaths.
    I was actually really stunned when after my enemys had fled my walls back down the ladders, I pressed attack on their ladders and my men just started walking down them. Clearly some sort of bug or placement issue, the sword implies destruction yet they just stand there.

Quote Originally Posted by maestro
    And why, oh why do archers completely fail to hit anything close to the wall when that should be easiest?
    True, I hate how archers and crossbowmen like to just shoot up in the air when the enemys next to them, or worse when they are on the inside of the castle walls and crossbow men standing on top looking down. How rediculous, they should just shoot down at them, it would be devestating.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Onanist
    I always thought the oil was overpowered in RTW.
    I agree with you but my real concern is the lack of ability to use all available resources to defend your walls. You think that when an archer run's out of arrows he's just going to stand there and wait for enemys to storm the walls? IRL they would be throwing stones, wood, boxes, knives - anything that could shove them off the ladder or make them fall. (And the idea that archers have limited ammunition when defending their own city is an absurd idea to begin with...)

Those are my thoughts.

I think the main concern was balance. Fortresses would be overpowered (as they should be !!), then nobody (not even stupid AI) would assault them, wasting very nice castle models.

As long as the gate towers are manned, there should be some reaction when an enemy passes below. I mean, do something, people, throw some rocks, Molotov cocktails, boo at them - now it's just ram-crash-safe passage... And archers - well it's so puzzling seeing them shoot upwards when the enemy it's just 20 feet below...
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

Not to mention that if there was a slight breeze in the wrong direction your arrow could come back down and hit you in the face.