Thread: You guys should release a book...

Default You guys should release a book...

Hi
    I have been playing (and loving) your mod, and reading these forums, for a while now.

What strikes me is the staggering amount of work and research you have done on pretty much all aspects of the ancient world, (the Pahlava naming thread illustrates my point).

Anyway, it occured to me that it would be great if all the information you have gathered were accumulated in one place! Histories of factions and individuals, political and military information like the goals they aspired to, units they used and the strategies and tactics they developed, as well as events like battles and conquests all seem to have been exhaustively researched, not to mention aspects of ordinary life in the various cultures of that time (I just read that someone actually went to Spain to harvest mussels just to see what colour a particular dye was... Now thats dedication (or do I mean obsession?)).*

Ok, this is probably a dream, but I would love to see all this stuff gathered together (an EB game guide/history primer?). Probably not high on your agenda at the moment, but certainly icing on the cake, when you release, and have a quiet spell with nothing much to do...

Thanks again for the tremendous effort you have all put into this incredible mod, and I look forward to losing a few more months of my life when .8 comes along.

edit: *And maps. The ones you used for load screens in .74 are a great touch, and really give you a feel for the world as it was then.
    Last edited by Kugutsu; 11-21-2006 at 22:39.

Default Re: You guys should release a book...

You know I would actually like to read an account of the mod's creation. Yes include all your data and all the hard work that has brought us such a wonderful mod but I think the most interesting thing to see would be how everything was organised. You guys have provided a free, high-quality good using nothing other than your dedication to make a better game. I think that it would be worth chronicling that.
    "And when your return to your homes, tell your people that you left your general fighting in Boetia" Cornelius Sulla to a wavering line.

"It is easy to dismiss war as a simple bloody affair, nevertheless, none can deny that the greatest genious that man has possesed has always been in the pursuit of the simple, bloody affair", Klausewitz

I think there was some talk of making the forum (or part of it) open once the release got to 1.0. Dunno for sure. A lot of it is insane. Discussions over the Yuezhi for one were incredible. So were the lot over the development of the Spartans. Over the setup of the Koinon Hellenon faction too. The music threads too, with our discussions with another group for additional music. A number of tools were developed just to get EB to work too - to get unit recruitment to work, to check for errors, etc. Some never reached a stage where they were able to be made public, some were developed just for the EB system of recruitment. A lot of stuff though for sure.

hum.... I was thinking .... After u guys get done with EB2.... you guys should call up the History Channel and propese to partner up with them in the making of a series called "EUROPA BARBARORUM". It will be a long sceries played every Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday.

The series talks about the histories of the main factions of the game, from before 272BC 'till they got destroyed by the Roman Empire. And the Final or First Episode will be the ROMAN EMPIRE, probably a 2hr thing. (for the sake of it, start out with the factions of Europe, if the series is a success and they want a 2nd season then do the rest of them)

Now about that...... You guys will get PAID too... well CA will recieve royalties too.
    Last edited by NeoSpartan; 11-22-2006 at 01:44.

Yes do it.

I bet if they do, they'll work in a blame game or Bartix reference as a joke in the beginning
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Smile Re: You guys should release a book...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSpartan
    hum.... I was thinking .... After u guys get done with EB2.... you guys should call up the History Channel and propese to partner up with them in the making of a series called "EUROPA BARBARORUM". It will be a long sceries played every Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday.

The series talks about the histories of the main factions of the game, from before 272BC 'till they got destroyed by the Roman Empire. And the Final or First Episode will be the ROMAN EMPIRE, probably a 2hr thing. (for the sake of it, start out with the factions of Europe, if the series is a success and they want a 2nd season then do the rest of them)

Now about that...... You guys will get PAID too... well CA will recieve royalties too.

This sounds like a very good idea...

and .Would be on my List of Things To Record (which isn't that great considering I keep forgetting to record things).
    Edit:Updated my smilie list for X-mas.Enjoy The Santa Invasion.
    Last edited by scourgeofrome; 11-22-2006 at 04:30.

Change that "or" to an "and".

The Parthians, Sarmatians, Saka, Baktrians, and possibly the faction that has yet to be revealed were not conquered by Rome. Armenia was held only briefly by the Romans. I don't think that the Suebi were ever conquered by the Romans either, if they were it was only briefly during the later years of the reign of Augustus.

Visit the EB Help Required Thread

"His only addiction was to practice." - John Coltrane, describing Eric Dolphy

"and thus it cannot be performed, because one cannot perform that which does not exist." - Arnold Schönberg

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

and possibly the faction that has yet to be revealed were not conquered by Rome
    Gah! So tantalisingly close!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tk-421
    Change that "or" to an "and".
    OK tk, put down the keyboard and step away from the PC. He's not coding EDB and thus is not restricted entirely to "and" conditionals - in this strange world outside of EBH, the "or" conditional is entirely acceptable!
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

So that's what happens to burnout coders. I guess he's a machine now..

Quote Originally Posted by tk-421

The Parthians, Sarmatians, Saka, Baktrians, and possibly the faction that has yet to be revealed were not conquered by Rome. Armenia was held only briefly by the Romans. I don't think that the Suebi were ever conquered by the Romans either, if they were it was only briefly during the later years of the reign of Augustus.
    Well I think Sweboz should be included in the 1st few episodes (alonside Gaul, Casse, Iberia, Rome, Macedonia, KH, & Getai (sp). Those are the factions IN EUROPE. Thats like 7-8 episodes right there, once a week thats preatty much a whole season. (1st season). The others would be left for a 2nd season. Sweboz would be the tricky one, because they never got taken over and later Germanian tribes became the vane of Rome. Their episode should end right when they kick the romans out, with a quick overview of what happened in the years that followed.

now how about that............

Fake Episode List for Europa Barbarorum:The Series Season 1

1.2 Hour Premiere Episode-What is EB/Arveni and Aedui.
    2.Casse
    3.Sweboz
    4.Iberia
    5.Epeiros
    6.KH
    7.Makedon
    8.Getai
    9.2 Hour Season Finale:Rome

Welcome to modify this list.
    Last edited by scourgeofrome; 11-22-2006 at 20:26.

Quote Originally Posted by scourgeofrome
    Fake Episode List for Europa Barbarorum:The Series Season 1

1.2 Hour Premiere Episode-What is EB/Arveni and Aedui.
    2.Casse
    3.Sweboz
    4.Iberia
    5.Epeiros
    6.KH
    7.Makedon
    8.Getai
    9.2 Hour Season Finale:Rome

Welcome to modify this list.
    EB certainly has enough material for a TV series. I think that starting with Rome would be neccessary though, so people know what its all about. Aedui and Arverni dont mean much to most people, but everyone has heard of Rome!

I also think you need Carthage in that list. It may not be in europe, but it doesnt really fit with the eastern factions either (in fact I would split it along more greek/roman lines - all the greek influenced cultures and those they interacted with in one series, and romans/barbarians and carthage in a seperate series.

Just my two pennys worth...

Quote Originally Posted by Kugutsu
    EB certainly has enough material for a TV series. I think that starting with Rome would be neccessary though, so people know what its all about. Aedui and Arverni dont mean much to most people, but everyone has heard of Rome!

I also think you need Carthage in that list. It may not be in europe, but it doesnt really fit with the eastern factions either (in fact I would split it along more greek/roman lines - all the greek influenced cultures and those they interacted with in one series, and romans/barbarians and carthage in a seperate series.

Just my two pennys worth...
    Like I said,your all welcome to make your own list.The more the merrie,and it might tempt the EB team to actually give it a try.

Well carthege should be talked about but not have its own episode in the 1st Season. 9 Episodesare preatty much filled up with the nationsscourgeofrome mentioned.

Wether Rome should go 1st or Last..... I don't know....

Fake Episode List:Seasons 1 (revised) and 2

Season 1-Western Europe
    1.Premiere-What is EB/Romani
    2.Gaulish Tribes/Aedui and Arveni
    3.Iberian Tribes
    4.Casse
    5.Sweboz
    6.Finale-Carthage

Season 2-Eastern Europe and the East
    1.Premiere-KH,Epeiros,and Makedon
    2.Getai
    3.Sarmatia
    4.Pontos
    5.Armenia
    6.Egypt
    7.The Seleukids
    8.Series Finale/Special-Bactria,Pahlav,and Yuehzi/Replacement

Edit:Some could probably be put together into multi-faction episodes like the second season premiers and finale.

Edit 2:Some have been placed together because they may not be long enough segments to make 1 show.If there is enough for all to have one show,I'll make one more list.Also, one more episode to add.

Special-Bartix,A lost faction.
    Last edited by scourgeofrome; 11-22-2006 at 23:19.

If they can base a TV show on the vanilla RTW (the name escapes me, but they had members of the public in to play scripted battles, and historians talk about them), then this isnt actually so far fetched. The history is more accurate, and overall gives a far more authentic feel for the era.
    Combined with commentary from the likes of TA and the rest of the team, it would make far more worthy television than some 'documentaries' I have seen.

Edit: Time Commanders
    Last edited by Kugutsu; 11-22-2006 at 23:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Kugutsu
    If they can base a TV show on the vanilla RTW (the name escapes me, but they had members of the public in to play scripted battles, and historians talk about them), then this isnt actually so far fetched. The history is more accurate, and overall gives a far more authentic feel for the era.
    Combined with commentary from the likes of TA and the rest of the team, it would make far more worthy television than some 'documentaries' I have seen.

Edit: Time Commanders
    History Channel employees,if your reading this board please contact the EB team or else we will nag and petition you for the rest of your lives.

I think this would be a great idea. If the factions are increased in EB2 there could theoretically be no end to the show, or at least 4 seasons. Besides, I've been trying to write a book out of EB research for ages but none of the members ever get around to sending me the neccessary amalgamated information. Ah well, you know, I think I'll go have another try! Wish me luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanit
    I think this would be a great idea. If the factions are increased in EB2 there could theoretically be no end to the show, or at least 4 seasons. Besides, I've been trying to write a book out of EB research for ages but none of the members ever get around to sending me the neccessary amalgamated information. Ah well, you know, I think I'll go have another try! Wish me luck!!
    Guess one sucker just volunteered to write the EB manual.
    If you have a psychiatrist, I advice getting some therapy sessions...

"Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Not a problem Krusader! I will get a psychiatrist and begin collecting the data.

Post Re: You guys should release a book...

Quote Originally Posted by Tanit
    Not a problem Krusader! I will get a psychiatrist and begin collecting the data.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Been there done that Krus.

Well, I guess we can say we have something very special up our sleeve which I think will come as a bonus to our fans for 0.8.

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Are you kidding Eddy? I've hired three psychiatrists so far and I still don't think this will be done soon. Oh...Your talking about something else aren't you?