Thread: Possibility to improve game performance by display settings?

Default Possibility to improve game performance by display settings?

Hey guys, I've heard some people talking about this, but I'm not sure if it's true. My question is if it is possible to go to desktop properties, advanced settings, and mess with the "3D" tab on the display settings to get better performance? (When I mean better, I mean to say reduced lag, assuming no eye candy is lost)

Default Re: Possibility to improve game performance by display settings?

ahh not really too sure what your talking about there. Apart from your desktop loading ever so slighlty faster and using 1mb less memory but makes sure your windows settings are set to have hardware acceleration to the full. The main thing for the graphics card control panel is anti aliasing and anistropic filtering. It basicly makes the squares look less obvious (particuly for diaganol lines) however eats up quite a bit more power. Its good if you have the settings up to the max and you want to add some immersion (i wouldnt call it eye candy)
    For those who dont know what im talking about heres a good example.
    . Btw trust me looks good once you actually play as the pixels are smaller. Heres a smaller version that looks better.

Another example
    and the aliased version.
    Last edited by Darkarbiter; 11-23-2006 at 06:37.
    Imperator de Basileia Ton Romaion-A "The long road" M2tw AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...41#post1657841
    Click here if you want to know what a freshly shaven **** looks like.

Default Re: Possibility to improve game performance by display settings?

Quote Originally Posted by PwnageBot2000
    Hey guys, I've heard some people talking about this, but I'm not sure if it's true. My question is if it is possible to go to desktop properties, advanced settings, and mess with the "3D" tab on the display settings to get better performance? (When I mean better, I mean to say reduced lag, assuming no eye candy is lost)
    You can turn off the AA and AF, and set all of the other options to "performance" related instead of "quality". This will result in a loss in eye candy, but if you mess around with it you should be able to trade off some eye candy to gain performance without things getting too ugly.