Thread: Sorry Mr. big important mod who is doing lots of good in the world.

Default Sorry Mr. big important mod who is doing lots of good in the world.

I'm really, really, really sorry for saying the S word, i know it has offended people to the point where they have begun to drink heavily and cry into their pillow before they sleep, and i'm sorry for having a sexually oriented quote in my signature, because i realise now that everybody here is a catholic priest and is offended by that sort of thing.

You mods are pillars of society, you really are making a difference in the world, especially in this thread, and you have every right to act like you're some kind of police officer with authority, i should never have doubted that.

It is because of your actions today that children who play a war game where to win you have to kill, and have the option to exterminate innocent civilians, have been shielded from the S word, which is clearly the most vile, vulgar and disgusting swear word in existance, and have been shielded from a joke about the most pleasurable and natural thing in existance, sex.

You truly are, heroes of your time.

Once more, i apologise sincerely for everything that has happened.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Default Re: Sorry Mr. big important mod who is doing lots of good in the world.

"Troll" seems to be about right, yes.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

If you don't like it, mate, don't post. I for one can do without you clogging up the watchtower with your innocence abused act.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve
    I'm really, really, really sorry for saying the S word, i know it has offended people to the point where they have begun to drink heavily and cry into their pillow before they sleep, and i'm sorry for having a sexually oriented quote in my signature, because i realise now that everybody here is a catholic priest and is offended by that sort of thing.

You mods are pillars of society, you really are making a difference in the world, especially in this thread, and you have every right to act like you're some kind of police officer with authority, i should never have doubted that.

It is because of your actions today that children who play a war game where to win you have to kill, and have the option to exterminate innocent civilians, have been shielded from the S word, which is clearly the most vile, vulgar and disgusting swear word in existance, and have been shielded from a joke about the most pleasurable and natural thing in existance, sex.

You truly are, heroes of your time.

Once more, i apologise sincerely for everything that has happened.
    Oh, don't go the low sarcasm route. I got into trouble for much more innocuous things.

If you want to insult and be sarcastic, be very arrogantly majestic. It's more fun that way -- that's why the Org banned Plebeian swearing in the first place.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    That is obviously sarcasm. You do not know? Ha! What a fatuous cretin!

This is probably going to be closed soon.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 11-23-2006 at 02:25.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

It is because of your actions today that children who play a war game where to win you have to kill, and have the option to exterminate innocent civilians, have been shielded from the S word (..)
    It is perfectly okay if a troll comes around and questions our rules now and then with some fresh arguments.

But your dog won't run, Dayve. The games are fun because they are games. We don't 'kill and exterminate innocent civilians', we move sprites across a pixel screen. The TW games are an abstract of reality just like Chess or Go. If you visit these forums, you will see that the real-life successors of all those nations being virtually 'exterminated' in the TW games are actually conversing, debating, developing mods, joking and working together in the .Org like the best of friends. Our forum is the opposite of the slaughter you suggest, and the true message we send to any outside readers is that TW games are just that, innocent games.

It is precisely because we do not support killing or exterminating people in real life, because in our interactions we aim for the exact opposite, that any calls for violence in this forum are strictly forbidden. And any language that may cause acrimony and conflict and finally lead to such violence is forbidden, too, and for the exact same reason.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

You're absolutely right, i totally agree. I was way out of order saying the S word, i can see people are offended in the extremes and are losing sleep over the thought of there being a sexually oriented quote in my signature, it's just disgusting, i don't know how i didn't see it before.

You guys carry on making the world a better place by warning people for saying the S word, even though there are people in here with vulgarity in their own signatures i see i was the only one who got a warning for it.
    Last edited by TosaInu; 11-23-2006 at 21:45.

Enough with this, would you?

Ah, why am I even bothering?

Look, if you find "vulgarity" in other people's signature, click that little report button, give a short, to the point description of why do you submit the report, and be done with it. The mods will probably notify the members in question if they agree with you, or explain their rationale to you if they don't. The Watchtower is not a place for oh-so-subtle basic Sarcasm 101. Want to dispute the rules? Give reasons; don't just whine. Not to mention there's been quite a few threads lately already, if you just, you know, look around this very sub-forum.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 11-23-2006 at 03:05.

I've got a great reason.

Words are only vulgar because you've been brought up to believe they are.

How can a word offend somebody? If i say 'So yeah it's all broken and ****', how can anybody be offended by it?

Explain in great detail how swearing can offend somebody, because it doesn't offend me whatsoever...

Also how can sex offend anybody. You whine about not wanting your children to see it... The way i see it, the earlier you teach children everything about sex, the less likely they are to get drunk and pregnant at 13 years old like most girls do these days.

I've got a great reason.

Words are only vulgar because you've been brought up to believe they are.

How can a word offend somebody? If i say 'So yeah it's all broken and ****', how can anybody be offended by it?

Explain in great detail how swearing can offend somebody, because it doesn't offend me whatsoever...

Also how can sex offend anybody. You whine about not wanting your children to see it... The way i see it, the earlier you teach children everything about sex, the less likely they are to get drunk and pregnant at 13 years old like most girls do these days.
    Much better.

However, these reasons have been proposed before, and successfully disputed. Please note that these are not my arguments but a summary of sorts -- based on what I perceive of the why behind this rule -- of what has been argued upon in a lot of threads lately. You can, of course, look around for yourself:

The org is not a place to start your moral crusade for greater acceptance of swear words in a semi-"polite" setting. If a parent finds the words to be inappropriate to his or her children -- and it happens a lot -- then this website is no longer "family friendly," which is one of its stated goals for as wide a demographic of org users as is possible. The moderating staff is not in a position to judge by themselves whether they find being offended over swear words to be ridiculous or reasonable. They merely adhere to a greater standard.

"Be friendly with your customers," I guess. After all, this is a fansite for a particular game franchise. If a potential member is turned away then it's only our loss to bear.

Also, the general use of swear words are deemed unnecessary; meaning, while many org members and staff are unlikely to be offended by swear words, some do, and the banning -- this is a private forum after all, so don't go for a Freedom of Speech or censorship angle -- of swear words is considered a better alternative. Such regular daily speech vulgarity can easily be circumvented in a way that does not alter the message.

I myself would like to have a little more freedom, but it's not that important anyway.

Moreover, the use of swear words clearly increases a chance of flame wars and perceived insults. In such a climate as the Backroom, or anywhere for that matter, an inherently hostile post is made thrice as offensive, and twice less effective, by a liberal use of the vulgar f-words, s-words, [alphabet]-words, etc. We have enough regular paddling and batting as it is. No need for them to turn heated up.

And lastly, the liberal use of swear words often cause more trouble in the atmosphere. At least the regulars do tend to know each other (as far as the internet allows) and wouldn't take offense if another person slips. A junior member insulting the other person with vulgarities would quickly display himself an undesirable troll -- surely not someone a happy little virtual community would like to welcome? And trust me, a site with more people regularly throwing an f here, a s there, an a+h here and there, can be very flamey, since insult provokes insult, and a vicious cycle is easily escalated.

Try this instead: $#%@!*&
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 11-23-2006 at 03:34.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Thank you Dayve for the best laugh all week!

I mean, really:

The way i see it, the earlier you teach children everything about sex, the less likely they are to get drunk and pregnant at 13 years old like most girls do these days.
    You should consider stand-up comedy as a career. I hear the Laugh Factory has positions available nowadays, if you don't mind moving to LA.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

lol ? That was a funny post D. Good sarcasm there, bit over the top, but still worth a good laugh.

Only problem is that it puts you somewhere in the 13 year old category. You're not pregnant are you ? :D
    Last edited by Shahed; 11-23-2006 at 06:47.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Curses! I swear, by the number of threads lately crying foul over language restrictions here at the Org, that a profane number of patrons aren't familiar with the forum rules.
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan

Thank you Dayve for the best laugh all week!

I mean, really:

You should consider stand-up comedy as a career. I hear the Laugh Factory has positions available nowadays, if you don't mind moving to LA.
    Wanna explain what was funny about it? I've re-read it 5 times now and all i see there is a fact...

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Uh? What?

Oh, it's another "I'm not happy because I'm not allowed to swear"-thread...

Whatever.

Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Is that what our future politicians want to use everywhere?
    Swearwords?

And concerning your theory, you might want to give proof before calling it a fact.

You might also want to think about how sad it is if you are unable to express your opinion without the use of swearwords...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

We know he's a troll, he has always been, why do we still discuss with him?

The way i see it, the earlier you teach children everything about sex, the less likely they are to get drunk and pregnant at 13 years old like most girls do these days.
    So with that reasoning, teaching your kids to swear and swearing at them on a daily basis will probably stop them using profanity in later life...?!

I'm afraid that as far as sex education and teenage pregnancy goes, it appears that the nanny state's measures to prevent it through better sex education are in fact having the opposite effect. Teach teenagers how to have sex, and guess what? They'll go and have sex.

All of that aside, I have reached the conclusion that you are simply here to stir up trouble, due to boredom perhaps? You can argue about being allowed to swear, making more of these types of threads and insulting people if you wish, but it won't make a shred of difference. I think you should drop it. Either accept the .org for how it is or go elsewhere. Go and try this on at the offical forums at totalwar.com and let us know how you get on.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Wanna explain what was funny about it? I've re-read it 5 times now and all i see there is a fact...
    That was the sarcasm you did not understand. The sarcasm you tried to put on us, but it wasn't subtle enough.

Learn from Kukri if you want to make practical jokes.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?