Thread: mongols settling down?

Default mongols settling down?

ive heard that the mongols have empires in some peoples campaigns, but in the campaigns i have had they just seemk to hang around the milddle east. if the take a city they ransack it and sell all the building,but then desert it straight way.

does anyone have any insight into what would make the mongols settle down.

Default Re: mongols settling down?

Same here... also its RIDICULOUS! hOW MANY OF THEM ARE.. no way to stop them :S

Their army is much bigger now in my game. I'm not sure if it's constantly getting larger still or not. I don't know how they make new troops, either, if they still constantly do. It's a good thing I'm not that close to them. I just have a spy spying on htem.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt
    Their army is much bigger now in my game. I'm not sure if it's constantly getting larger still or not. I don't know how they make new troops, either, if they still constantly do. It's a good thing I'm not that close to them. I just have a spy spying on htem.

yeah be glad. I was smoothly expansioning. Nothing too stop me. Admit I am getting it harder and harder trying to invade Europe but THEN MONGOLS CAME! and Im totally messed up. I got 5 full stack armies headed that way. That also could be 5 cities in Europe :(

https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j...OPUST/popo.jpg

if you take a look down in my mini map you will see where the mongols settled...they killed the egyptians and are still expanding

also Jerusalem was the first city they settled in

Oh Gods are they settling down! In my HRE campaign the message of their coming poped up and then for about a century nothing (I had not "eyes" in the east). I thought that they where as passive as they where in MTW. Then suddently the "faction destroyed" msg poped up for Egypt, Byzantium, Turkey and Moors. When I managed to clear that fog of war they had every non European region.

In my game the Mongols are settling and taking over the middle east as well. I held Jerusalem against 6 of their assaults but in the end I just didn't have the resources there to carry on.

Not sure about their numbers either, they do seem to be able to spam quite eassily. Also, their troop mix appears to be one of the strongest. I hope that when it comes to it my longbowmen can compete. They did in Jerusalem but that was a siege situation. I am waiting till I secured Europe and have enough Retinue Longbowmen to have a pop back at them.
    Cheers,
    The Freedom Onanist

I haven't played MTW2 but the Mongols in MTW1 were similar. They are supposed to be a rampaging horde and they are supposed to expand rather quickly and take a lot of territory. Their cavalry based armies are supposed to be difficult to defeat. Historically their empire stretched from China to Russia to Persia to the borders of Egypt and much of Asia Minor. The Khanate of the Golden Horde were just the western part.

In my campaign as English Mongols settled down in Middle East, taking Antioch and Adana from me.

A long attrition war followed, Mongols besieged my fortress at Aleppo and almost got it, before Antioch rebelled and Adana was conquered by a crusade I called in for help.

So I hoped they were gone for good but horror! after losing their last city Mongols returned to horde appearance, RTW BI style. "A people in flight..." Oh no, not again... Seems one has got to kill al the heirs to solve the Mongol Invasion.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

I wanna be a real boy! Member chunkynut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Tzepes
    In my campaign as English Mongols settled down in Middle East, taking Antioch and Adana from me.
    Exactly the same thing has happened to me, I have lost these settlements and now regained them. This has been easier the second time round due to my subversion of the middle east. Once they took these cities much multitude of spies and priests/cardinals in the area 'picked' on ripe cities, converting the population and spies causing uprisings (they took them back but it cost them).

This has stopped their expansion to an extent, they have a much reduced capabilities against the last vestages of the eygptians and the turks/byzantians have lost a few territories between them. I've just beaten off 3 sieges (with many casualties on my side) and lost a field battle to them (massive casualties on both sides tho). They hold all of the middle east still and alot of Turkey bar Antioch and Adana.

Thank goodness the Timurids went to Russia!!
    Last edited by chunkynut; 11-24-2006 at 13:52.

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

I take it you guys never played the Barbarian Invasion for RTW, right? The Mongols behave like the Huns, although in some ways the Huns are worse. The Mongols in this game are rather insanely powerful, since almost all their starting units are 6 XP, but you don't get them all at once. In BI, the Huns begin the campaign with 9 stacks sitting in the middle of the steppes. Try the ERE in that game if you want fun with hordes.

But yes, they can settle down. In BI, the mechanic seems to be a little different. One of the "horde capable" factions, when it went into horde, got a bunch of free troops. As long as it was in horde, it didn't pay any maintenance at all for any of its troops except mercenaries, but it also couldn't retrain anything. When they captured a province, they had the option of either sacking it or settling down. Sacking it killed off about 80-90% of the population, had a really good chance of damaging most of the buildings, and collected a ton of money for the horde. Settling down left the population and buildings intact, but the minute a horde settled, they lost half of their free troops (they lost half the remainder when they settled a second city and all the remaining free troops when settling a third) and immediately began paying maintenance.

In this game, I don't see any "horde" troops, and even after the Mongols settled, the maintenance cost on their cavalry shows as ZERO. In my Byzantium game, they appeared in Sarkel region, sacked Bulgar, sacked Sarkel (both were Russian and became rebel), then captured Kiev and settled. I had my own horde nearby, of assassins, and I killed off a few of their generals, sabotaged every building that gave public order, and Kiev revolted. They went back into horde, moved north, took and settled in Smolensk. Since then, they retook Kiev, seized Moscow, Novgorod, Helsinki, Ryazan, Riga, Vilnius, Halych and Krakow.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Quillian I think you miss the point, some are saying that in their campaign that the Mongols to not settle down and only wander. Where as in my campaign (and others) they have settled and in mine the whole of the middle east.

As has been said the only way to destroy them is to kill off all the Mongol generals, or they become a 'horde' again.

And yeah I've got all the TW games so I've played BI.

I wonder if Mongols are capable of retraining their uber-experienced units. In my game, I was so worried about letting them grab a castle/fortress/citadel that I basically invited them to focus on cities.

The money they seem to have + ability to retrain heavy lancers and all those missile troops would make them unstopable (+ an aggressive AI, of course... ).

And yes I know the "horde respawn system" from BI (I'm vet player since STW) - but I didn't notice the differences when Mongols settle in MTW2, thank you for that.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Thank god. Sorry to be off topic, but right now the Mongols are descending onto the second of my cities they've attacked. I've destroyed their family tree using assassins and wasn't sure if this would destroy them or not.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Rise of Xerxes : A Modification for Medieval 2: Total War
    Have a special skill? Come help us out!

Quote Originally Posted by Goatbuster3000
    Thank god. Sorry to be off topic, but right now the Mongols are descending onto the second of my cities they've attacked. I've destroyed their family tree using assassins and wasn't sure if this would destroy them or not.
    Then you only have to worry about the rebel stacks of highly experienced troops wandering around

I think the Mongols really add a different element to the game, something I haven't seen in a TW game before. I was the leading nation military wise (HRE), next thing I know I see the "Mongol's invade" message pop up and I am now the second strongest military. That means they must start with alot of frickin units! As for seeing them, I haven't seen or heard anything from them yet, although I guess they stay mostly in the south east of the map ? Do they ever invade west, because if they do that could really screw my campaign up. I really have no interest going east so if they stay on their island, I'll stay on mine

Not to get too technical but here's how the timeline goes, Ima crap myself if anything in the game turns out to be the same...

1221: the Mongols conquer Herat (Afghanistan)
    1223: a first Mongol horde defeats a coalition of Russian princes on the Kalka river
    1224: Genghis Khan splits his empire into khanates ruled by his four sons Jochi (western part), Ogodei (southern Siberia and western Mongolia), Chaghatay (Transoxania and Kara-Khitai), Tolui (the traditional Mongol lands)
    1231: the Mongols invade Korea
    1237: the Mongols, led by Batu, invade Russia
    1240: Batu's Mongols ("blue horde") take Kiev, capital of Russia
    1241: Batu's "Blue Horde" invade Poland, Hungary and the Balkans
    1255: Hulegu, the Ilkhan, invades the Middle East and captures Bagdhad, which becomes the capital of the Ilkhanate
    1257: Mongols led by Mongke's brother Kublai conquer China all the way to Hanoi
    1258: Mongols led by Hulegu conquer Mesopotamia and Syria

It doesn't end there either...

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

In my England game, the mongols have so far destroyed Egypt, Moors, Byzantines, and the Turks. They have over 30 regions, and are no.1 in all of the categories, with me a close 2nd.

I think its great that CA have made them so tough. Certainly a challenge in itself, and thats what makes a fun game!
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

the trick with the mongols is to contain them and starve them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wind
    In my England game, the mongols have so far destroyed Egypt, Moors, Byzantines, and the Turks. They have over 30 regions, and are no.1 in all of the categories, with me a close 2nd.

I think its great that CA have made them so tough. Certainly a challenge in itself, and thats what makes a fun game!
    what difficulty seting are you playing on?

i would like this kind of a challenge, since by the time they arive i am usually far in frontand about to win if i havenyt already done so. the arrival of the mongols should in theory give you the chance to try out some of you late tech troos etc.

So can you do a war of attrition on them or do they keep getting troops as long as any family member they have is alive?

Do the Timurids work the same way?

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

I'm going to hide this under a spoiler tag, because this is out of one of the game files. Don't click if you don't want to know:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ;-- Mongols invasions --
    monitor_event EventCounter EventCounterType mongols_invasion_warn
    and EventCounter > 0
    ; ADD SCOUTING INVASION
    add_events
    event counter mongols_invasion
    date 4 8
    end_add_events
    if I_EventCounter mongols_invasion_warn == 2
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event EventCounter EventCounterType mongols_invasion
    and EventCounter > 0
    if I_EventCounter mongols_invasion == 1
    add_events
    ;;; SCOUTING INVASION
    event emergent_faction mongols
    date 0
    ; region Tbilisi_Province
    region Yerevan_Province
    region Bulgar_Province
    region Sarkel_Province
    region Baghdad_Province
    movie event/mongols_invade.bik
    ;ADD MONGOL INVASION 1
    date 2
    end_add_events
    end_if
    if I_EventCounter mongols_invasion == 2

;Sarkel
    if I_CharacterTypeNearTile mongols named_character, 30 258, 134
    set_counter mongols_sarkel 1
    end_if
    ;Tbilisi / Yerevan
    if I_CharacterTypeNearTile mongols named_character, 20 278, 101
    set_counter mongols_yerevan 1
    end_if
    ;Baghdad
    if I_CharacterTypeNearTile mongols named_character, 30 291, 70
    set_counter mongols_baghdad 1
    end_if

;;; MONGOL INVASION 1 SCRIPT
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Jebe, named character, age 30, x 292, y 166, family ;command 8, dread 9, loyalty 7, piety 1
    traits EasternWarlord 3 , GoodCommander 2 , Bloodthirsty 2 , BattleDread 4 , StrategyDread 2 , PublicFaith 1 , Loyal 2 , ContentGeneral 3 ;command 8, dread 9, loyalty 7, piety 1
    unit Mongol Bodyguard exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Mongol Infantry exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Mongol Foot Archers exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Mongol Heavy Archers exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Mongol Heavy Lancers exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    end
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Aradai, named character, age 22, x 290, y 168, family ;command 6, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 1
    traits EasternWarlord 2 , Anger 3 , BattleDread 2 , StrategyDread 2 , PublicFaith 1 , Loyal 2 , ContentGeneral 3 ;command 6, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 1
    unit Mongol Light Lancers exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Mongol Horse Archers exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    end
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Bayan, named character, age 21, x 292, y 162, family ;command 6, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 1
    traits EasternWarlord 2 , Anger 3 , BattleDread 2 , StrategyDread 2 , PublicFaith 1, Loyal 2, ContentGeneral 3 ;command 6, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 1
    end

;;; move them to location of first invasion
    if I_CompareCounter mongols_sarkel = 1
    reposition_character Jebe, 280, 136
    reposition_character Aradai, 277, 133
    reposition_character Bayan, 278, 131
    end_if
    if I_CompareCounter mongols_yerevan = 1
    reposition_character Jebe, 291, 109
    reposition_character Aradai, 289, 108
    reposition_character Bayan, 291, 107
    end_if
    if I_CompareCounter mongols_baghdad = 1
    reposition_character Jebe, 292, 58
    reposition_character Aradai, 290, 60
    reposition_character Bayan, 293, 63
    end_if

;ADD MONGOL INVASION 2
    add_events
    date 20 40
    end_add_events
    end_if

if I_EventCounter mongols_invasion == 3
    ;;; MONGOL INVASION 2 SCRIPT
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Batu, named character, age 26, x 292, y 166, family ;command 8, dread 9, loyalty 7, piety 1
    traits EasternWarlord 3 , GoodCommander 2 , Genocide 2 , BattleDread 2 , StrategyDread 1 , PublicFaith 1, Loyal 2, ContentGeneral 3 ;command 8, dread 9, loyalty 7, piety 1
    end
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Subutai, named character, age 25, x 290, y 168, family ;command 9, dread 9, loyalty 7, piety 1
    traits EasternWarlord 2 , GoodCommander 3 , Anger 3 , BattleDread 3 , StrategyDread 3 , PublicFaith 1, Loyal 2, ContentGeneral 3 ;command 9, dread 9, loyalty 7, piety 1
    end
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Berkei, named character, age 24, x 292, y 162, family ;command 7, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 6
    traits EasternWarlord 3 , Anger 2 , BattleDread 2 , StrategyDread 2 , PublicFaith 4, TouchedByTheGods 1 , Loyal 2, ContentGeneral 3 ;command 7, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 6
    unit AS Rocket Launcher exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit AS Trebuchet exp 6 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    end
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Orda, named character, age 23, x 288, y 168, family ;command 7, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 1
    traits EasternWarlord 3 , StrategicSkill 1 , BattleDread 2 , StrategyDread 3 , PublicFaith 1, Loyal 2, ContentGeneral 3 ;command 7, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 1
    end

reposition_character Batu, 280, 136
    reposition_character Subutai, 277, 133
    reposition_character Berkei, 278, 131
    reposition_character Orda, 277, 136
    end_if
    reposition_character Batu, 291, 109
    reposition_character Subutai, 289, 108
    reposition_character Berkei, 291, 107
    reposition_character Orda, 288, 106
    end_if
    reposition_character Batu, 292, 58
    reposition_character Subutai, 290, 60
    reposition_character Berkei, 293, 63
    reposition_character Orda, 290, 65
    end_if

;ADD MONGOL INVASION 3
    add_events
    date 30 50
    end_add_events
    end_if

if I_EventCounter mongols_invasion == 4
    ;;; MONGOL INVASION 3 SCRIPT
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Hulegu, named character, age 25, x 292, y 166, family ;command 8, dread 9, loyalty 7, piety 0
    traits EasternWarlord 3 , Genocide 2 , NaturalMilitarySkill 2 , BattleDread 3 , StrategyDread 2 , Loyal 2, ContentGeneral 3 ;command 8, dread 9, loyalty 7, piety 0
    end
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Kitbuqa, named character, age 24, x 290, y 168, family ;command 8, dread 9, loyalty 7, piety 0
    traits EasternWarlord 3 , Anger 3 , BattleDread 3 , StrategyDread 2 , Loyal 2, ContentGeneral 3 ;command 8, dread 9, loyalty 7, piety 0
    end
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Abaqha, named character, age 23, x 292, y 162, family ;command 7, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 0
    traits EasternWarlord 2 , Bloodthirsty 2 , GoodCommander 2 , BattleDread 2 , StrategyDread 2 , PublicFaith 1, Loyal 2, ContentGeneral 3 ;command 7, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 1
    end
    spawn_army
    faction mongols
    character Kuo_Kan, named character, age 22, x 288, y 168, family ;command 7, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 0
    traits EasternWarlord 2 , Bloodthirsty 2 , GoodCommander 2 , BattleDread 2 , StrategyDread 2 , PublicFaith 1, Loyal 2, ContentGeneral 3 ;command 7, dread 7, loyalty 7, piety 1
    end

reposition_character Hulegu, 280, 136
    reposition_character Kitbuqa, 277, 133
    reposition_character Abaqha, 278, 131
    reposition_character Kuo_Kan, 277, 136
    end_if
    reposition_character Hulegu, 291, 109
    reposition_character Kitbuqa, 289, 108
    reposition_character Abaqha, 291, 107
    reposition_character Kuo_Kan, 288, 106
    end_if
    reposition_character Hulegu, 292, 58
    reposition_character Kitbuqa, 290, 60
    reposition_character Abaqha, 293, 63
    reposition_character Kuo_Kan, 290, 65
    end_if

terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

Now boiling that down leaves something else, which again I'm going to hide. This is plain English, not scripting code:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    There are 4 events in the Mongol invasion. First a warning that they're coming. Then, 2 turns later 3 stacks arrive. 20-40 turns later, 4 more stacks arrive, and finally 4 more stacks arrive (I think that's 30-50 turns after the initial event). It's 11 armies in total, spread out over a series of turns.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Hmm - at the end of my campaign (Spanish, M\M, turn 77), they only have 4 stacks sitting around doing very little. Very disappointing, although maybe if I'd played longer they'd get in gear and do something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by chunkynut
    Then you only have to worry about the rebel stacks of highly experienced troops wandering around
    I just killed off the first of their invasion forces. As soon as I killed all of their family members, the troops disappeared, however, rather than becoming rebels. Then, I got the message "Faction Destroyed - Mongols". I was happy and relieved. A few turns later, they come back with four more stacks...I really don't like these Mongols.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Rise of Xerxes : A Modification for Medieval 2: Total War
    Have a special skill? Come help us out!

I live where I want to live, but I live here

Quote Originally Posted by Goatbuster3000
    A few turns later, they come back with four more stacks...I really don't like these Mongols.
    Well, they did almost conquer the world, if it wasnt for the death of their khan, then they would be settling in Rome, Paris, Cologne...

The Golden Horde is truly a threat if they are under a capable leader. But as history has showed us, it is true, for they crumbled after a short while. I feel sorry for the places they've conquered, especially if the cities didnt give up...
    Total obliteration = dead lands
    War is delightful for those who have not experienced it...
    - Desiderius Erasmus

"Walang sansantohin"

Non ducor duco...

It seems CA got things right this time around eh? They never did pose much of a challenge in MTW. IMO it should be a mammoth task to defeat them.

Plus it's so nice to have a mention among the family members

.......Orda

Im quite far into my campaign and the Mongols have completely taken over Russia and have taken over most of Hungary and the Byzantine Empire. They've also made some progress into Denmark and sieged me once but I managed to fight them off.

Timurids have now sacked jerusalem and made the Holy Land their domain.
    Look what these bastards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English — and that's who you are playing this afternoon Phil Bennett's pre 1977 Rugby match speech

Yes, the Timurids appear with a similarly big force in the mongol's back, in my french campaign I thought that keept the two somewhat busy in the east, the mongols already sieged Venice once but didn't succeed.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu