Thread: braveheart was on Bravo tonight

Default braveheart was on Bravo tonight

Thought there may be many references to this game. Interesting thoughts I have gathered, it turns out that Wallace is for real, as some of the actors in the movie claim to be direct descendents of the Wallace line. I was just wondering, as the English attacked, I first saw what I perceived to be the knights, like hobilars, I saw English knights, armored swordsmen (defintely saw them), I saw welsh longbowmen mercs, armored sergeants, militia spearmen, even peasants. I didn't see retinue longbowmen, or any longbowmen depicted as in the game. I think I saw a few billmen, they were not armored, but I was not sure if what I did see were billhooks, as it was only a brief moment. I didn't see any dismounted knobles. On the Scottish side of things, I saw pikemen (no armor at all), I saw spearmen, I guess Wallace is like a highland noble. They have axemen, it appears.

Some questions, the English had some strange looking banners, I get it, that the archers would be roused into action by the signal bearer raising a flag with arrows painted on it. But the flag signaling infantry, is a painted harp, does this make any sense?

Did the devs draw any inspiration from the movie at all? I mean a lot of the units resemble those in the movie, but the units in the movie were not lined up well at all in battle, they seemed a big disorganized.

It also appears that the forces that Longshanks assembled were made up of some nobles, some well equipped soldiers, but mostly an assortment of conscripts, peasants, mercs, and militia. I hope this is accurately reflected in game, as in armies not solely composed of elites. But I don't have the game, so I don't know.

In light of the recent release of this wonderful game, I found the movie quite enjoyable.

Default Re: braveheart was on Bravo tonight

I'm watching it at the moment while playing
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

William Wallace is certainly a true historical figure, just that the movie bore very little relation to the real one & the battles his rebellion involved.
    Last edited by hoom; 11-26-2006 at 04:54.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Nihilus
    I'm watching it at the moment while playing
    Likewise. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by myz
    Some questions, the English had some strange looking banners, I get it, that the archers would be roused into action by the signal bearer raising a flag with arrows painted on it. But the flag signaling infantry, is a painted harp, does this make any sense?
    This flag didn't necessarily call the infantry troops - it called the Irish (who happened to be all infantry).

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Yup, the harp became the standard of Ireland because it was the standard of Brian Boruma (Boru) Ceneddi, the one actual King of all of Ireland.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Well both the Braveheart film and the M2:TW game have some things in common.
    Neither are historically accurate (going so far as to portray the opposite of what actually happened) and yet both are very enjoyable to watch/play.