Samurai Warlords Campaign II - The Competition Continues

November 26th 20:00 GMT - The Battle will be for Ulus Two [(fL)_O_Ulus 02]

(Not yet marked on the Contest Map)
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Default Re: Samurai Warlords XVII

Hello,

I'm very sorry and sad that I couldn't attend the competition yesterday.
    I did a stupid mistake on Saturday night and infected my system with a trojan horse. This is something that didn't happen to me in years. The pesky bugger kept reappearing, installing likeminded processes and made itself at home in explorer.exe.
    When I finally cut off its ugly head with a repair install it was already 22:00 on Sunday. Although I had my system up and running the whole time I didn't want to risk any connection with other friendly machines.

I'll be back next weekend.

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey,

I had stuff for school that I had to do, but tis upcoming Sunday I am free, so I will be here :-) :-)

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Sounds like you had your own battlefield R'as al Ghul. No data lost I hope?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

We figured you were playing M2TW multiplayer R'as.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Ya right, I can imagine that

Missed you R'as

Using CBR's best game Sunday as an example:

632 kills
    581 captures
    (=1213)
    507 deaths
    40 men captured by the enemy but returned?

Old scoring:
    1213-547(deaths + men captured)=666

Possible new scoring:
    1213-507(deaths only)=707

Am reconsidering that maybe we should let the captured live and be returned (really the Total War standard).

Or maybe even evaluate proficiency another way.

Any suggestions?

Being able to play SamWars is the only real concern for me Tomisama.

But to throw in some thoughts: is it required that the best kill ratio person is also from the winning team? I recall seeing battles in the far past where defeated enemies did have the better ratio.

I'm not sure about capturing. That's something done in Europe and MTW, not Japan/STW. You could picture recovered wounded instead of captured, but it's just extra maths for you.

I liked the challenge of (fL)_O_Ulus 02.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Sounds like you had your own battlefield R'as al Ghul. No data lost I hope?
    It was a non destructive trojan and I have my important files on a seperate partition. It kept installing tool bars, search bars, registry entries etc.
    I had to pull all the tricks to delete it without reinstalling all of C:\.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    We figured you were playing M2TW multiplayer R'as.
    Nahh, I played the campaign map a bit in the past week and it's pretty good, but I don't feel comfortable with the battles. This is not the place, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisama
    Ya right, I can imagine that
    Missed you R'as
    Thanks. I was pretty frustrated actually as I'm always looking forward to our Sunday battles and it feels good to be missed.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul
    It was a non destructive trojan and I have my important files on a seperate partition. It kept installing tool bars, search bars, registry entries etc.
    I had to pull all the tricks to delete it without reinstalling all of C:\.
    Good that you didn't lose anything.

Thanks. I was pretty frustrated actually as I'm always looking forward to our Sunday battles and it feels good to be missed.
    We should try a 4 vs 4 on that map
    Ja mata

TosaInu

General analysis of the STW_3v3_54 battle in the STWbeta5_11b_replays_4 package.

The perspective used is from left to right from behind the attackers.

Attackers: Tosa, CBR, Yuuki
    Defenders: Ducky, Tomi, Yojimbo

The (fL)_O_Ulus 02 map has a central hill which the center attacker controls if he sets up at the front of his zone. There is also a hill on the left which the left side attacker can reach before the defender if he moves forward rapidly. On the right side is a ridge that the defender can reach first. In the center, the defender has a tree filled hole so he usually sets up to either the left of the right of that terrain feature depending upon which side the defense is planned.

The attacker's plan in this battle was to attack on the left in force which meant I, Yuuki, was to move to the center hill quickly. The Defender's chose to defend to the right side, and that set up a left to right orientation for the attack. Yojimbo had 8 guns and 8 cav while Tomi had 4 guns and 4 archers (2 SA and 2 CA). To counter that, CBR and I had 6 guns each but no archers. We also only had 5 YC between us plus our hatamoto cav generals.

The shootout didn't go too well for me since Yojimbo had more shooters and higher ground, but I got quite a few backkills on his stacked ranged units. Due to the terrain, I had to keep my melee units far back to avoid backkills. Ducky had been falling back in front of Tosa which allowed Tosa to send some melee units to center.

Yojimbo charged my guns with an NC, but I turned that back with YC. Soon after that, Tosa advanced an HC on my right, and drew a YC attack by Yominbo. I sent YC to counter that, and this promoted a large melee in that area. Since this melee was mostly enemy cav, CBR and I sent spear infantry into the area. This was successful, but Tomi took the opportunity to attack CBR in the center. I didn't see that, and was too busy on the right to respond with my sword units to help CBR.

Tomi was initially successful, but assistance from Tosa eventually turned him back. On the right, I didn't notice Ducky's ND reinforcements coming until they were almost there. I sent my swords forward, but they didn't arrive in time to save our spear infantry, and they lost once they did get there since they encounted cav and routing spears. I also accidentally left one ND behind. Despite that, the defender's attack ran out of steam, and Ducky's last effective cav unit was routed when our hatamoto generals finally counterattacked. My forgotten ND was also available to counter Ducky's remaining ND units. Tosa was able to finish off Ducky's remaining army on the left. Tosa took less than 300 casualties for the whole battle, but was intrumental in provoking the rightside melee, helping hold center and finishing off the last defender.

My favorite battle this weekend was were Ducky, Tosa, and I (the only game we were teamed together), corralled Yoji, Yuuki, and CBR. I haven’t looked at the replay yet, but believe that it was a classic in many ways.

My least favorite was when Yuuki and I rushed their right flank using the cover of rain, leaving Ducky on the opposite flank. I thought the primary mission was accomplished, and was preparing for a counter attack coming to our rear, when it became apparent that we had not succeeded. I need to look at that one for sure, to see why I though that, and what went wrong. Sorry Yuuki…

All in all it was a great day, as always!

Thanks everyone

My least favorite was when Yuuki and I rushed their right flank using the cover of rain, leaving Ducky on the opposite flank. I thought the primary mission was accomplished, and was preparing for a counter attack coming to our rear, when it became apparent that we had not succeeded. I need to look at that one for sure, to see why I though that, and what went wrong. Sorry Yuuki…
    The plan was for you and I to make a quick attack on the left, and for Ducky to move to the center hill. Ducky couldn't move to the center hill because Tosa setup forward. Even so, we still have the advantage if we eliminate Yojimbo before he can move to his allies. I attacked Yojimbo to stop him from moving. However, I didn't realize you had setup at the rear of your zone which put you too far away for your infantry to assist in a quick attack. We got some bad matchups on the battleline against Yojimbo: YC on YS and YS on ND which is why my attack on him failed. In addition, the rain stopped and I was taking point blank volleys. We had a lot of ranged units left on the hill, but they weren't protected by spears and they were all routed by enemy HC cav attacks. I noticed you used your 3 YS as a single group which I think is not a good tactic. CBR routed that group of 3 YS with a single WM and only lost 19 men.

Took a good look at the game three replay (several times).

Yuuki, near the end of the game you said to me that “we could have taken Yojimbo”, as if you were upset with me. And I have been consolatory because I figured that I may have done something wrong, it was confusing and there certainly was that possibility (and I am old ).

But Yuuki, we did take Yojimbo. It was CBR’s attack from the rear (out flanked my rear defences), which I was tiring to protect us from (but attentions drawn to the front), that did us in.

And my pack of Yari Sams were attacking several units of “those” cavalry, and along with my General and one of your Monk units, routing them, when CBR’s Monks hit their flank. My moving them all together was one of desperation, but what happened was not the picture you have painted above.

Last edited by Tomisama; 11-30-2006 at 03:16.

The real problem there was the fact that I got cut off from the two of you. If I remember correctly it wasn't just CBR who managed to attack you, but even Tosa took a part in the attack against you. I was perhaps a little late in my attack on the forces on that hill too. Anyway it was an interesting game.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Anyway it was an interesting game.
    It even got more interesting as Ducky made his final stand on the center hill

The mistake in this battle was deciding on a course of action before seeing the defensive deployment (which we rarely, if ever do). Of course this was done along with the choice for the rain cover, which seemed reasonable at the time. But after seeing Tosa in an unexpected forward position on the center hill dividing our forces, I remember thinking that this was not going to work. I even said to Ducky, “come with us”, which was a poor attempt at communicating that the hill plan was not good (which he could see anyway), that if he followed our path around, he might be able to protect our rear. But I am so slow at getting the typing done, it was probably way too late anyway.

I think it is good to have a plan (or two) in the works (discussion), during deployment. But that when map dissolves to show the enemy positions, that is the only time that decisions should be made.

I’m sorry, of course just stating the obvious after all of the rain and smoke has cleared

Shall we call it Total Confusion?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

:The mistake in this battle was deciding on a course of action before seeing the defensive deployment (which we rarely, if ever do).
    It was an aggressive plan to grab both hills based on the map's topology. The defenders also had an aggressive plan to take the center hill. Our plan could still have worked vs the defender's plan if Yojimbo was eliminated quickly. I wasn't able to do that so the plan failed. Eliminating him slowly exposes us to counterattack from the center which is what happened in this battle. If you look at the last replay in this set, the defenders used the same plan as in this battle against a more conventional attacker deployment, and the center hill fell to the defenders.

Yes I did hesitate that’s true, and that slowed the needed quick victory. I think I was unnerved by the enemy presence on the center hill. Then when I saw you running off the gun detachment (turned out to be Tosa’s), I wanted to believe that everything was going very well. I looked back to see cavalry coming down off the hill, and thought that it might be good to leave my guns to detour any advances. Turned back to the front to find that there was the large part of a whole army still to fight (Yoji), and that my ND’s and Monks needed to get busy and help. Sent them in, and that seemed to be what was needed. Looked back at the rear to find another whole army at that door.

My misgivings concerning the mission, fostering divided attentions (to the front and rear), caused holding back in some, and delays in other actions. Regrettably

“He who hesitates is lost!”

Thanks Yuuki-sama, for talking this out with me. I hope that someone who is looking for some real cyber-soldiering reads this, and is inspired to come join us. Yes we do play for fun. But we are at the same time serious about perfecting our generalship skills. Consider it intense fun

Blog Entries

Hey guys,

I plan on attending the SamWars games this Sunday (About time :-)) :-)
    I just need to know 2 things..

1, what time?
    2, what do I need and how I install (I forgot)

then I be fine :) :)

Thanks Yuuki-sama, for talking this out with me. I hope that someone who is looking for some real cyber-soldiering reads this, and is inspired to come join us. Yes we do play for fun. But we are at the same time serious about perfecting our generalship skills. Consider it intense fun
    When I crested the hill on the left and saw Yojimbo alone, I thought we had a clear 2 on 1. However, I had turned off the radar map before you finished deploying, and I didn't realize how far you had to come. I should have maintained better awareness of the overall position, and waited for you to come up so we could coordinate our attack. CBR and Tosa moved decisively to take advantage of our disorganized forces. If they hadn't, we would have consolodated on the left after eliminating Yojimbo, and our winning chances would have been very good. As it was, Ducky still came quite close to winning at the end.

As it was, Ducky still came quite close to winning at the end.
    Watching this alone is worth the price of admission

Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888
    Hey guys,

I plan on attending the SamWars games this Sunday (About time :-)) :-)
    I just need to know 2 things..

1, what time?
    2, what do I need and how I install (I forgot)

then I be fine :) :)
    Most show up around 19:00 hours GMT.

8 PM in Germany and Italy
    7 PM in United Kingdom
    2 PM in New York
    1 PM in Chicago
    12 PM in Denver
    11 AM Los Angeles

If you can’t be there then, come as soon as you can.

I would suggest:

1. If you have a “known good” copy of MTW/VI v1.02, and have enough hard drive space, copy and paste the entire game folder to a new location (can be in the same Total War Program files folder, as it will be renamed “copy of”). Keep this game separate, exclusively for Samurai Warlords play.

*2. Add STW Beta 5 with 11b stats (All is included together in one download, you will "not" need the seperate 11b stat that is by it's self, that is for peple with a previous version of the mod.).

*3. if you don’t have it, add the Map Pack Vol 1-3.

4. Now find the “STWmod” batch file switch in you main game folder, open it and make your selection for Samurai Wars stats.

When you play choose smap beta_5 era, just like you would High, Late, etc..

*See Lord Yuuki’s signature for links.

Suggest that you extract the downloads to a temporary folder, and then copy and paste the results to their destination (saying yes to all overwrites). The Beta 5 goes in your new main game folder, and the maps in the Battle\Maps folder.
    Last edited by Tomisama; 12-01-2006 at 18:30.

Blog Entries

Hey,

Thanks Tomi. I be there around 2PM, no later then 2:30 PM.. I'm going to install VI, and once I do, I'm going to patch it, and make a new folder so I can install it and such,thanks :-) :-)

Warman,

You don't have to run the STWmod batch file. When you install the STWmod beta_5, the Samurai Wars 11b stat is enabled by default. If you've made a copy of the game folder just for STWmod, you'll never have to switch back to the regular stats either.

Also, you want to make a shortcut to the MedievalTW.exe and name it Samurai or STWmod or something like that, and put -strictserver on the target line if you might be hosting games. Leave a space before the "-". Also, put -ian on that line as well so that when you watch replays you have unlimited height on the camera.

Thanks Tomi. Seems like I'm finally getting a good grip of the game and units. Took me a while though. Anyway hopefully we'll get more games like those ones this Sunday. I'm looking forward to it.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Notes on MTW fresh install (if it has been a while):

When you add Viking Invasion, the MTW midterm patch (think it was a MTW v1.1) is included in VI.

Then add the VI patch v1.02 (which has all of the VI patch upgrades in it).

That is all you need.

Home shoveling snow today

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    Warman,

You don't have to run the STWmod batch file. When you install the STWmod beta_5, the Samurai Wars 11b stat is enabled by default. If you've made a copy of the game folder just for STWmod, you'll never have to switch back to the regular stats either.
    Sorry, that is correct. Just ignore #4.

4. Now find the “STWmod” batch file switch in you main game folder, open it and make your selection for Samurai Wars stats.
    Last edited by Tomisama; 12-01-2006 at 20:14.

Blog Entries

Hey,

ok,before I install it and probly screw it up (grapenuts), I going to refresh my memory

So I'll install MTW, but do I patch it or no? Mind you, I am using my 2002 MTW copy, not gold Eras. or do I just Patch my VI copy to 2.01,the normal patch last time I checked?

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Install VI, then install VI patch 2.01 and then the mod. No need to bother with MTW patch 1.1.

CBR

Blog Entries

ok thanks CBR, Cya Sunday :-) :-)

Blog Entries

Well I installed 2.01 patch, but since Mods always give me touble and ploblems, it didn't install right, and now I have to uninstall both MTW AND VI so I install it, Wonderfull

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888
    Well I installed 2.01 patch, but since Mods always give me touble and ploblems, it didn't install right, and now I have to uninstall both MTW AND VI so I install it, Wonderfull
    What went wrong? Its pretty simple and normally the installer finds the default folder by itself.

CBR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast