Thread: New animation system backfiring?

Default New animation system backfiring?

It seems possible that while the new animation looks really cool with the "wow" factor, and may have accomplished the goal of attracting more casual fans into the mix, but from a variety of posts, the new animation have also caused a number of problems related to units not performing like they are supposed to, related to swinging weapons, blocking attacks, etc. Do you think CA may have dropped the ball during testing the new animations? I mean, it's probably not terribly difficult to detect these problems considering they hired pro testers.

Default Re: New animation system backfiring?

I think CA will be dropping the ball if the patch doesn't fix these issues. Other than that they produced a great game, another legacy in TW history.

because issues keep coming up everyday, is that why the patch keeps getting delayed?

Sadly i think that might be the case. Not so much that they find NEW bugs, but that when the fix the bugs were talking about, they create new ones. Unfortenly games are geting to a point where they can become unpridectable to a point where if you patch something, you mi ght end up with a werid problem somewhere along the line elsewhere. so i think its becomeing more of "what bugs do we keep/live with and what MUST be fixed. I think sometime in a week or two will see the patch, untill then we can only hope :P

Quote Originally Posted by myz
    It seems possible that while the new animation looks really cool with the "wow" factor, and may have accomplished the goal of attracting more casual fans into the mix
    Honestly, the new battle engine has really done anything BUT making the battle with a "Wow" factor...

Battles are now supremely slow-paced and boring, with the hideous problem of the "anti-blobbing clipping" and the nearly total lack of any kinetic energy in the game.

Hard to see any "epic" or "wow" part in this. Animations are great and smooths but completely devoid of any energy, violence or the like.

Bleh :-/
    If violence didn't solve your problem... well, you just haven't been violent enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka
    Honestly, the new battle engine has really done anything BUT making the battle with a "Wow" factor...

Battles are now supremely slow-paced and boring, with the hideous problem of the "anti-blobbing clipping" and the nearly total lack of any kinetic energy in the game.

Hard to see any "epic" or "wow" part in this. Animations are great and smooths but completely devoid of any energy, violence or the like.

Bleh :-/
    As opposed to what? The utterly dull MTW fighting or the slow and repetitive RTW fighting?

There is nothing wrong with the combat in the game.
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    As opposed to what? The utterly dull MTW fighting or the slow and repetitive RTW fighting?

There is nothing wrong with the combat in the game.
    As opposed to the dynamic fight of RTW.
    The problem in RTW was the killing speed, the lack of morale (insta-rout) and the powerful cavalry, not the lack of animation or feeling of battle.
    Also, for "cheaters", the "big blob" exploit.

Powerful cavalry suits medieval times, the killing speed is even worse in MTW2, morale is something that simply can be easily modded, and the blobbing was fixed in a way that made the battle lethargic, boring, and broking half the combat mechanics.
    If violence didn't solve your problem... well, you just haven't been violent enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka
    As opposed to the dynamic fight of RTW.
    The problem in RTW was the killing speed, the lack of morale (insta-rout) and the powerful cavalry, not the lack of animation or feeling of battle.
    Also, for "cheaters", the "big blob" exploit.

Powerful cavalry suits medieval times, the killing speed is even worse in MTW2, morale is something that simply can be easily modded, and the blobbing was fixed in a way that made the battle lethargic, boring, and broking half the combat mechanics.
    It's odd. It's almost as if everyone is playing a totally different game sometimes. I personally have no issues with the combat and although it's true that charges lack the punch they had in Rome, I find the combat gratifying. Just fifteen minutes ago I watched as my general knock someone to the ground and ram his sword down in him
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

I actually find the cavalry in this game easier by far to use than in MTW or RTW. I don't know what everyone's complaining about. In MTW I used to field armies with little or no cavalry, and now I actually bring Heavy Cav by choice.
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

This may seem repetative: What is everyone complaining about? Sure some battles get messed up because of retarded units but I'd rather have my calavry slaughtered by spearmen then be massacared by a Jedi.

The Brooding Emperor Member Valdincan's Avatar

I have seen minor problems like this, but only on a few units (individuals) at one time, other then that its fine. Most of the time in a battle you are zoomed out, so you do not notice the visual bug.
    Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, King of Rome, Pope's bane, Destroyer of civilizations.

"Words are a greater weapons then swords."

hmmm.. nice hat val. I guess we can finally discuss this alot easier when the "day 0 patch" comes out. It's been some time now. Haven't heard anything.. when will it come CA????