Thread: Group Formations

Default Group Formations

Whatever happened to group formations. With Shogun a right click and you could give a single order for the selected group to adopt an appropriate formation whether it be offensive or defensive. Now, unless I am mistaken with M2TW you have to pause and and tackle each unit one by one.

Could someone tell me that it is not so. Unfortunately I am still awaiting delivery of the game and have only the demo to go by and no manual.

Apropo of which is it possible to download the manual anywhere?

Andrew

Default Re: Group Formations

From Medieval I to Rome you cannot preserv formation durin' redeployment of unit. It was possible only in Shogun. In any late game AI in this case becomes idiot.

I don't entirely understand the posts, but you can maintain formation in RTW/MTW2 quite easily. The formation units are in is usually kept when you create a group (and you can tell a group to use a different formation, e.g. single line, double line etc). Also holding down alt while issuing a move command maintains the formation for all the selected units, and you can similarly rotate the formation.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilisticCow
    I don't entirely understand the posts, but you can maintain formation in RTW/MTW2 quite easily. The formation units are in is usually kept when you create a group (and you can tell a group to use a different formation, e.g. single line, double line etc). Also holding down alt while issuing a move command maintains the formation for all the selected units, and you can similarly rotate the formation.

In Shogun you can select as many units as you like, then right click on one of them and up pops a series of choices. You go to GROUP and then select from a series of battle formations such as right defensive or enter offensive and hey presto your troops fall into the most appropriate battle formation. Clearly you can no longer right click as that sends everyone moving. So you have to do it unit by unit unless they are already in the formation you desire.

I hope that explains it more clearly.

Andrew

There's also a formations section in the drop down menu at the top of the screen (i have no idea where it is on default; i only use minimal ui)
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    There's also a formations section in the drop down menu at the top of the screen (i have no idea where it is on default; i only use minimal ui)

Thanks

Andrew