Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 94

Thread: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

  1. #1
    "'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The live music capital of the world.
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    During WWII, U.S. forces were officially at war for 1247 days. Today marks the 1248th day that U.S. forces have been at war in Iraq. Is that good or bad?
    Last edited by Aenlic; 11-27-2006 at 21:35.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

  2. #2
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    11,238

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Bad.

    We lack the collective "stomach" for long engagements. As the length of time increases with barely discernible improvement (or devolution), the USA will work harder to shoot its own efforts in the posterior.

    Side Note:

    Don't even bother replying Tribesy, I am well aware you believe we lost by even attempting it.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

  3. #3
    Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In ur nun, causing a bloody schism!
    Posts
    7,906

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    The war may have been over by that time but the occupation of both countries continues. I don't have the numbers but I feel confident that the number of soldiers that have suffered violent deaths and injuries in Europe and Asia surpasses those in Iraq. Not that I think we should linger there but we are now in the occupation and stability operations phase.

    However to answer your question: yes, it is bad.


    Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 



  4. #4
    The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in the cloud.
    Posts
    9,007

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    The war may have been over by that time but the occupation of both countries continues. I don't have the numbers but I feel confident that the number of soldiers that have suffered violent deaths and injuries in Europe and Asia surpasses those in Iraq. Not that I think we should linger there but we are now in the occupation and stability operations phase.

    However to answer your question: yes, it is bad.
    I agree- it's not a good metric. Those days don't include the occupation. But, I also agree with your answer.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

  5. #5
    "'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The live music capital of the world.
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    A valid point about the occupations afterwards. But that was after the war ended. This one hasn't ended yet. We haven't occupied Iraq; we're still in the process of trying to occupy Iraq.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

  6. #6
    Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    13,477

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Actually I feel America occupied Iraq, then ****** off the locals, restarting the war.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

    [IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

  7. #7
    Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Between Louis' sheets
    Posts
    10,369

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    Bad.

    We lack the collective "stomach" for long engagements. As the length of time increases with barely discernible improvement (or devolution), the USA will work harder to shoot its own efforts in the posterior.

    Side Note:

    Don't even bother replying Tribesy, I am well aware you believe we lost by even attempting it.
    I dont think we lack the stomach for an engagement that has a purpose, one that this engagement seems to lack. I see no real benift for America now. Iran seems to have more clout in Iraq than we do! However its our mess and we need to finish what we started. Its sad to see so much wasted on so little.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

    My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

    I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

  8. #8
    L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...
    Posts
    5,604

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    I dont think we lack the stomach for an engagement that has a purpose, one that this engagement seems to lack. I see no real benift for America now. Iran seems to have more clout in Iraq than we do! However its our mess and we need to finish what we started. Its sad to see so much wasted on so little.
    Strike, you pinpoint the issue very neatly. Iran has always had more clout in the region than you do.

    For a time, US administrations supported the brutal Shah in Iran to keep some influence with the acknowledged regional power, and then changed to the even more brutal Saddam Hussein when the Iranians went all independent on you. Encouraged the latter to start a brutal war against the Iranians - and then when he got the inevitable delusions of grandeur and invaded a country whose autocrat you still liked, he got crossed off the Christmas card list.

    The delusions then spread and the US thought it could directly influence the region to its own standards and marginalise Iran.

    You won't make a stable peace in the region without accepting Iran's regional role and working with them.

    Or re-instating Saddam...
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

  9. #9

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    I don't really get the comparison. Didn't we lose like 200,000 men in WWII? And 600,000 in the civil war?

    Also, the revolutionary war was 7 years long.

  10. #10
    probably bored Member BDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Britain
    Posts
    5,508

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    A country without a war that lasted a century should be ashamed of itself.

    *conspiratorial grin with France*

  11. #11
    L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...
    Posts
    5,604

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by BDC
    A country without a war that lasted a century should be ashamed of itself.

    *conspiratorial grin with France*
    What about an 800 year long insurrection?

    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

  12. #12
    Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In ur nun, causing a bloody schism!
    Posts
    7,906

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    What about an 800 year long insurrection?

    What about setting up the monarchy that oppressed three disparate cultures that Hussein overthrew? Reference your previous post and British involvement in the creation of Iraq.


    Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 



  13. #13
    TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Saint Antoine
    Posts
    9,935

    Default Re : Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by BDC
    A country without a war that lasted a century should be ashamed of itself.
    Aye. Attention-deficit parvenu's and their petty little wars, tsk.

    Those upstart nations lack spine and conviction. I tell you, these youngsters know nothing about good protracted tussles anymore. Back in the good old days, when wars were measured in centuries instead of days, nobody complained about being born into war, and dying into war.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link


  14. #14
    Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The Mountains.
    Posts
    3,868

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    How about over a hundred years (if you're only counting when the US was an actual country) or so of constant warfare with numerous tribal cultures until they were nearly wiped out, we took pity on them, and had taken essentially half of a continent or so.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

    "So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

  15. #15
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    How about over a hundred years (if you're only counting when the US was an actual country) or so of constant warfare with numerous tribal cultures until they were nearly wiped out, we took pity on them, and had taken essentially half of a continent or so.
    Are you implying they ever had a chance???

    We germans prefer it fast, having a war last for a century just shows you're too weak to win it.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  16. #16
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,475

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    How about over a hundred years (if you're only counting when the US was an actual country) or so of constant warfare with numerous tribal cultures until they were nearly wiped out, we took pity on them, and had taken essentially half of a continent or so.
    You need a proper matchup with a roughly equally powered enemy for it to count.

    Is the 800-year Anglo-French rivalry the longest and most wide-ranging in history? Have there been any other rivalries between roughly equal powers that have lasted as long?

  17. #17
    Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,902

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian
    You need a proper matchup with a roughly equally powered enemy for it to count.

    Is the 800-year Anglo-French rivalry the longest and most wide-ranging in history? Have there been any other rivalries between roughly equal powers that have lasted as long?
    Well, you can trace Swedish-Danish rivalry from about 900 A.D and it lasted a good bit into the 1800, although that brotherhood thingy ruined that fine rivalry.

    And the Swedish-Russian rivalry is from about 860 to the end of the cold war and the relations still isn't warm, but that falls outside that roughly equal power thingy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Aye. Attention-deficit parvenu's and their petty little wars, tsk.

    Those upstart nations lack spine and conviction. I tell you, these youngsters know nothing about good protracted tussles anymore. Back in the good old days, when wars were measured in centuries instead of days, nobody complained about being born into war, and dying into war.
    And in my days, we restarted conflicts to make them last another 20 years of constant warfare (not some silly rests here and there you old gits ) and causing devastation not seen in Europe until about 300 years later. And we couldn't have peace either, it was way too expensive.

    But I agree on these upstarts though old friend, no lack spine and conviction in the youth nowadays.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

    Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

  18. #18
    "'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The live music capital of the world.
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    I love where this thread has gone. Some truly amusing posts here. Keep it up!

    As for the appropriateness of the comparison between length of time the U.S. has spent in Iraq and in WWII, I'd ask everyone to consider what was accomplished in those time periods. Something to think about.

    If, as Dumbya keeps reiterating, victory is the only option, then why aren't we trying to win? Although, when you think about it, Bush never really gets around to stating what constitutes a victory. Win how, exactly? What does he mean by victory? If he means establishing a working democracy in Iraq, then maybe we ought to try getting our own democracy to function first. If he means making Iraq safe for his oil industry buddies to pillage, then that isn't happening either.

    Considering that in less time than we've been in Iraq, two of the strongest military nations in the world - Japan and Germany - were both defeated utterly, one has to wonder just what the Bush administration thinks it's doing in Iraq? Treading water while thousands of U.S. service members are killed and tens of thousands are permanently maimed, with the number of Iraqi civilian casualties perhaps 2 orders of magnitude higher? What, exactly, is victory if victory is the only option?
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

  19. #19
    Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    LA, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aenlic
    I love where this thread has gone. Some truly amusing posts here. Keep it up!

    As for the appropriateness of the comparison between length of time the U.S. has spent in Iraq and in WWII, I'd ask everyone to consider what was accomplished in those time periods. Something to think about.

    If, as Dumbya keeps reiterating, victory is the only option, then why aren't we trying to win? Although, when you think about it, Bush never really gets around to stating what constitutes a victory. Win how, exactly? What does he mean by victory? If he means establishing a working democracy in Iraq, then maybe we ought to try getting our own democracy to function first. If he means making Iraq safe for his oil industry buddies to pillage, then that isn't happening either.

    Considering that in less time than we've been in Iraq, two of the strongest military nations in the world - Japan and Germany - were both defeated utterly, one has to wonder just what the Bush administration thinks it's doing in Iraq? Treading water while thousands of U.S. service members are killed and tens of thousands are permanently maimed, with the number of Iraqi civilian casualties perhaps 2 orders of magnitude higher? What, exactly, is victory if victory is the only option?
    I think he has been pretty clear in his definition of victory… a stand alone democracy in Iraq with a military that can protect itself from the likes of the insurgents, Iran and Syria.

    Your ignorance and negativity make you sound like you’ve been brainwashed by some leftist talk show host.

    I think one of W’s mistakes has been to not “end” the war and “start” the occupation. We haven’t really been at war as we like to define it for years, but we are there to stabilize the country and train the Iraq military and police to defend themselves.

    It is a different kind of war than WWII and the fact it is taking a long time is not that big a deal (the $$$ we are spending is more of a concern to me) considering the obstacles we are facing and the death ratio compared to WWII.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

  20. #20
    The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    15,670

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aenlic
    During WWII, U.S. forces were officially at war for 1247 days. Today marks the 1248th day that U.S. forces have been at war in Iraq. Is that good or bad?
    I thought the 'war was over' and even the occupation period as an 'independent government is in charge' now they have forces in bases to help 'keep the peace.'

    Much like say:
    Post WWII Germany and Japan were the US still has bases. That would blow the 1247 days out another 20,000 plus.
    Post Korean War, the DMZ were the US still has bases.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 11-29-2006 at 22:35.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

  21. #21
    A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,748

    Question Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    (..) we are now in the stability operations phase.
    Eh?
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

  22. #22
    "'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The live music capital of the world.
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by yesdachi
    I think he has been pretty clear in his definition of victory… a stand alone democracy in Iraq with a military that can protect itself from the likes of the insurgents, Iran and Syria.

    Your ignorance and negativity make you sound like you’ve been brainwashed by some leftist talk show host.

    I think one of W’s mistakes has been to not “end” the war and “start” the occupation. We haven’t really been at war as we like to define it for years, but we are there to stabilize the country and train the Iraq military and police to defend themselves.

    It is a different kind of war than WWII and the fact it is taking a long time is not that big a deal (the $$$ we are spending is more of a concern to me) considering the obstacles we are facing and the death ratio compared to WWII.
    You know, I was just going to let the "ignorance" comment pass. Then I saw the last paragraph.

    You must not be in the military. In fact, I'm guessing that you've never been in the military. If you have, then you're a complete dolt.

    It is a different kind of war than WWII and the fact it is taking a long time is not that big a deal (the $$$ we are spending is more of a concern to me)


    Oh, really? Not that big a deal? Tell that to the families of the nearly 3000 dead US soldiers. Tell that to the nearly 30,000 permanently maimed US soldiers and their families. Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who have lost similarly. Not that big a deal? What a completely idiotic statement. I'm a disabled vet, sport. And as of now, your opinion doesn't mean spit. March your pointless ass down to the nearest recruiter. Until then, you don't have anything of interest to add.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

  23. #23

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    I think he has been pretty clear in his definition of victory… a stand alone democracy in Iraq with a military that can protect itself from the likes of the insurgents, Iran and Syria.
    Like the ones you can't handle?

    Cataphract Of The City

  24. #24
    Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Castle 2_5_2, Swissland.
    Posts
    0
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Hey,


    "I think he has been pretty clear in his definition of victory… a stand alone democracy in Iraq with a military that can protect itself from the likes of the insurgents, Iran and Syria.

    Your ignorance and negativity make you sound like you’ve been brainwashed by some leftist talk show host.

    I think one of W’s mistakes has been to not “end” the war and “start” the occupation. We haven’t really been at war as we like to define it for years, but we are there to stabilize the country and train the Iraq military and police to defend themselves.

    It is a different kind of war than WWII and the fact it is taking a long time is not that big a deal (the $$$ we are spending is more of a concern to me) considering the obstacles we are facing and the death ratio compared to WWII."



    You know Aenlic, I was also going to pass it off,untill I saw that last paragraph also,




    "It is a different kind of war than WWII and the fact it is taking a long time is not that big a deal (the $$$ we are spending is more of a concern to me) considering the obstacles we are facing and the death ratio compared to WWII."



    you telling me, Money is more important? Yeah, g tell that to 3000+ soliders that got killed Bud. Go tell that to the 30,000 Mamimed Troops, and all the Iraqis that have die. Go tell my Grandmother that, who lost a brother in WW2 that money is more Important, in this War or WW2. I think they would have something to say...or do... to you . I never joined the military, but I respect them. I don't know if you do, but mabye you should go send your ass off to Iraq, and then you wish you never said that.


    And Cataphract, you think it's easy to handle ANY insurgents? I guess you never joined the military either.

  25. #25
    "'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The live music capital of the world.
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    I thought the 'war was over' and even the occupation period as an 'indepedent government is in charge' now they have forces in bases to help 'keep the peace.'

    Much like say:
    Post WWII Germany and Japan were the US still has bases. That would blow the 1247 days out another 20,000 plus.
    Post Korean War, the DMZ were the US still has bases.
    Bush standing on an aircraft carrier deck with his flight suit crotch strap still buckled in front of a big sign saying "mission accomplished" does not mean that the war ended. The war is still in progress. We're still fighting ex-Ba'athists, probably many of them ex-Iraqi army vets, in the streets. We're also now fighting extremists of various sects as well as members of the old Iraqi military. A "new" government, ineffective as it is, is not the same thing as ending the war either. We're still effectively at war. The fact that more soldiers have died or been wounded on an average monthly basis than before Bush declared the war over is an indication. We're more at war now than we were when we first invaded.

    In Japan and Germany, both signed capitulations. The occupations afterwards were peaceful (excepting a few cases). There is no peace in Iraq. It's still war. It's been war every day since we invaded. Doesn't there have to be some kind of peace before one can claim the war is over? There hasn't been any in Iraq yet.

    Do we say of the Russian war in Afghanistan that the war was only the initial invasion and the rest was just an "occupation"? No. We call the entire period that the Russians fought in Afghhanistan, from the initial invasion and takeover of the country to their final pullout - a war.

    For that matter, we're still at war in Afghanistan too. In fact, several villages are under the control of the Taliban - almost 5 years later.

    There wasn't any period of peace to justify saying the war was over. In Iraq, but also in Afghanistan, we're still in the process of invading and occupying. That means we're still at war, status of whatever puppet "government" we've installed not withstanding.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

  26. #26
    Backordered Member CrossLOPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brass heart.
    Posts
    2,380

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    No longer valid post.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

    -><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

  27. #27
    The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    15,670

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aenlic
    Oh, really? Not that big a deal? Tell that to the families of the nearly 3000 dead US soldiers.
    And that makes it a very very low intensity war compared with WWII.

    Omaha beach on the first day of the Normandy landings amounted for over 3000 losses and a thousand American dead. A total of 407,300 military deaths occurred to the US in WWII... which given the population level of 132,000,000 means that Iraq would have to have generated 926,653 deaths to be on par with WWII in intensity.

    So WWII was 300 times more deadly then the Iraq war and occupation... the money that is creating such a huge deficit and fighting an opponent far below the tech and numbers curve are responsible for this.

    I think this debt will be rectified far before the men and women who survived ,because of the money spent on them, will become grandparents.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

  28. #28
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,212

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    We're not at war in either Iraq or Afghanistan. I don't seem to recall Congress ever declaring war on either of those two countries.

    Without a war, how can we have a victory?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  29. #29
    American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    3,125

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888
    You know Aenlic, I was also going to pass it off,untill I saw that last paragraph also,




    "It is a different kind of war than WWII and the fact it is taking a long time is not that big a deal (the $$$ we are spending is more of a concern to me) considering the obstacles we are facing and the death ratio compared to WWII."



    you telling me, Money is more important? Yeah, g tell that to 3000+ soliders that got killed Bud. Go tell that to the 30,000 Mamimed Troops, and all the Iraqis that have die. Go tell my Grandmother that, who lost a brother in WW2 that money is more Important, in this War or WW2. I think they would have something to say...or do... to you . I never joined the military, but I respect them. I don't know if you do, but mabye you should go send your ass off to Iraq, and then you wish you never said that.


    And Cataphract, you think it's easy to handle ANY insurgents? I guess you never joined the military either.
    Err, KingWarman888, I believe you are quoting yesdachi. Aenlic did not make that point about the money.

    As for me, I keep myself away from Iraq War Low-Intensity Conflict threads just as much as I keep myself away from Iraq.

  30. #30
    Backordered Member CrossLOPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brass heart.
    Posts
    2,380

    Default Re: Today the Iraq War surpasses WWII for US military involvement...

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    Err, KingWarman888, I believe you are quoting yesdachi. Aenlic did not make that point about the money.

    As for me, I keep myself away from Iraq War Low-Intensity Conflict threads just as much as I keep myself away from Iraq.
    I believe he was concurring with Aenlic.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

    -><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO