Thread: Re: Alexander: Total War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

Default Re: Alexander: Total War

To whom it may concern,

I'm back after a 6-7 week hiatus. I had cancelled my Internet service provider at home and had not found a replacement until resorting to going back to netzero.

Back in September I had mentioned on this thread that I was having trouble playng the alexander expansion because as I was going into a limbo in the combat phase. After the narrator would do his shpeel and I pressed the "start" button to begin the combat, as soon as I used the mouse to pan the camera overhead, the scamera would pan into blue sky and my mouse would go haywire. I could never recover from that and have to power down my PC just to get control back.

I have downloaded and installed all the RTW updates including 1.5 & 1.6. But I'm thinking that the Alexander game requires a better video software than I have. I have a 128MB ATI Hyper Memory, Radeon x300SE setup.

I welcome any useful feedback.
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

Signifer, Cohors II Legio II Member Comrade Alexeo's Avatar

Mind you, I don't actually own Alexander, but if you can run RTW fine on your graphics card, I'm not sure why that would affect Alexander, given that its the exact same engine.

It might just be a bad copy of Alexander, I'm afraid Good luck!

P.S. You're in Colorado too mate? Huzzah! Whereabouts?
    Signifer Titus Vorenus
    Cohors II Legion II
    Triana Fortis

http://www.geocities.com/tuccius2112...ianaindex.html

Comrade Alex -

Yes, I'm a Lakewood denizen. It's on the west end of the Denver metro area. I've been doing RTW since April. I had been a Civ IV player - found the game fascinating. But I've always been an ancient history buff. On the Civ IV CD they had a game sampler add on that was an ancient Rome setting. It whetted my appetite for something more substantial. Then I discovered RTW in the Gold Edition at a local WalMart. And that was all she wrote. I haven't been able to leave this game alone for very long ever since. I'm in a Carthaginian campaign even now.

I found out, however, that some of the Gold Edition copies of RTW released to North America were only updated to release 1.4. So I had to download patch 1.5 and 1.6, supposedly, so that the Alexander expansion would work. I bought my Alexander copy via the Eras package so I could have the CD along with the other eras if I wanted to play them someday. But, I 've been having this strange problem with the alexander game ever since. Given the fact that I bought my desktop PC just this last February, I wouldn't naturally think that I was behind the power curve on Windows, CPU features or video cards, etc. Nevertheless the doggone Alexander pack hasn't worked for me. Oh well . . . I figure I will be able to figure this problem out eventually. I have a 2.8 gighertz machine, 1 gig memory, 2 gig virtual memory, etc etc., so I'm not wanting in the PC department.

It appears that The Guild has revised their forums presentation categories reducing the number of topic threads. Don't know if I like that or not. But . . . I ain't in charge and don't think I'd wanna be.

One would think you're right as it concerns the RTW engine. I didn't think the graphics in Alexander appeared to be any more sophisticated than in vanilla RTW. I suppose I could try to reduce the game's video settings to show less detail and see if that doesn't resolve the problem. As it is, I can't quite identify where things are going wrong.

Nice to meet you, CA.
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Not sure it is relevant, but I did find ATW lagged terribly on my machine - it was painful and I had to lower the setting right down (no grass etc) to get something half way playable. Never had a trouble with RTW. I confess I have not gone back to ATW after upgrading my graphics card for M2TW.

Thanks Econ. Sounds like I should pursue my hunch.
    -- Eric Hoffer

Hey Guyus! I remember you from these forums...you gave me some help with my Julii campaign.

So you play Civ IV? So do I, and I like it as well.
    I support Israel