Thread: Halberdiers

Default Halberdiers

If this has been a subject, feel free to scrap it, but I didn't see this question. I'm sure it relates to the Billmen-type inquiry, but for good measre:

What exactly are western Halberdiers good for? They have much less armor than the eastern variant, though they get a spearwall formation. As I recall, MTW's Halberdiers were fairly solid infantry late game. Yet in M2TW, they don't really seem like anything great. They get more kills against some enemies than my spear militia, but on the flip side, they die easier. They haven't really impressed me...at all. The eastern version I've found quite formidable, on the other hand, and it has no formation. Am I missing something? Halberdiers and Saracens have annihilated Crusader infantry as the Turks, but my HR types pale in comparison.

Default Re: Halberdiers

Do not forget that the armourer buildings can add armor to units that lack it as default. I find that often the unarmoured units with the armour upgrades are quite nice as their upkeep ofter reflects the poorer quality they start out with.
    Total war games played so far:
    STW, MTW, MTW:VI, RTW, MTW2, ETW, STW2

Playing as HRE in my battles Militia Halberdiers perform better than Armored Sergeants. The stats are misleading. Halberdiers slaughter cavalry but are also effective against heavy infantry. The casualty rate is not so much higher in my experience. Since I have the last tier of armor production for my halberdiers I never used spear units again.

It would be also a very strange looking army in the years around 1500 with crap mail armored high medieval warriors among the modern troops.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

The Militia Halbardiers are pretty nifty.

They get good kills, but die a lot, and unlike most militias they more kills than deaths. And they are cheap.

But I like the best when they are upgraded to golden armour. Aside from living visibly longer, they look terribly cool.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Halberdiers are milita. However for a milita unit, they perform very very well. Yiu need to have at least HEAVY mail to use them effectively, but half or full plate is perfered. I find that for countries like germany and france, you need to start phaseing out your spear milita with halberders and pike milita. Also they can be used as a line unit with spear wall on, or a reserve unit with spear wall off, pluging gaps, dong secondary charges and the like.

Dispite all this, the egyptans do infact get the best looking spear and halberder unit once they have been upgraded to wear mail!

I use them to defend cities and bridge crossings against assault and they seem pretty good at it.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Mental
    I use them to defend cities and bridge crossings against assault and they seem pretty good at it.

Indeed...

Despite I lost the only bridgebattle I had with them, they were absolutely vicious. Two units of them in spearwall and they chopped the enemy to pieces, saving my city from a nasty siege against an army that could possibly have taken it. Not now though...
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!