Thread: Oppression is Freedom at Canadian College

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Oppression is Freedom at Canadian College

Well isn't this lovely? There's a motion at Carleton University in Canada to prevent pro-life groups from using certain university resoruces to hold meetings, recieve funds, ect, becuase some are saying they are 'discriminatory against women'.
    http://www.charlatan.ca/index.php?op...8052&Itemid=26
    Key Quote:
    McIntyre said she received complaints after Lifeline organized an academic debate on whether or not elective abortion should be made illegal.

[These women] were upset the debate was happening on campus in a space that they thought they were safe and protected, and that respected their rights and freedoms, said McIntyre.
    Goodness gracious! Dissenting opinions on a college campus! To preserve our freedoms we'd better shut up those who disagree!

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Default Re: Oppression is Freedom at Canadian College

Politics, as they say, is a brutal buisness. This is a case study in using an elected position for personal reasons. Someone on that student council has an axe to grind against pro-lifers. Not to mention influence over the rest of the council. They used some women's complaints about an acedemic debate on the legality of abortion to muscle this Lifeline group out. Probably a political science or pre-law major. Cause that there is an f-ing master piece of Macheavellian art.

Still Lifeline was stupid to try and have a debate about the legallity of abortion in an Ottawa university and expect no fallout. Especially when the student council made it's dislike of their groups existance clear (by denying them club status) they should have circled the wagons and held out for a more sympathetic student council next year.

What they should have done is what they have to do now. Go on the down low, under ground, guerreilla.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Basically everyone who attends Carleton is a moron, with a few exceptions. Pay this no mind. Besides, it's just a school club, anyway. There are pro-Jesus clubs in schools, but no pro-Satan ones. What gives there?

Satan is far too cool to have a club.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Truth.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dn Dagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

The University of Edinburgh Students' Association has banned the Christian Union fom having meetings, I think, about something which I can't remember...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malcolm
    The University of Edinburgh Students' Association has banned the Christian Union fom having meetings, I think, about something which I can't remember...
    Really? The same thing has happened here in Exeter. The CU is sueing.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malcolm

I remember the Warwick Uni CU got expelled from the SU because it kept sending e-mails to a homosexual, demanding that he repent.

That's classy. I really don't see what the big deal is about banning religious groups from supposedly public institutions.

Wow, imagine that! Nobody likes it when the rules don't support their particular point of view.

Talk about frickin irony...
    Rameus

Quote Originally Posted by D Wilson
    I remember the Warwick Uni CU got expelled from the SU because it kept sending e-mails to a homosexual, demanding that he repent.
    Hehe, idiots.