Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Hunters All Their Lives: A Missile Cavalry Guide

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Default Re: Hunters All Their Lives: A Missile Cavalry Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus
    The video appears to have an .rpy extention which, according to my research is a saved game file for some Grand Prix Racing game or some such. I assume that this isn't correct. Could you update the viseo or alternatively tell me how I might open it :)

PS Very good guide.
    Welcome Aboard Zacchaeus ! .rpy is an extension that will play in M2: TW Battle Replays. Check the thread link posted above, if that file is still online it wll work.

BROKEN CRESCENT: TOTAL WAR IN THE MIDDLE EAST

I've recently been playing the Broken Crescent mod, and it is what Kingdoms should have been, in many ways. There are MANY types of cavalry. Cavalry heavy nations like the Khwarezm Shah, Seljuks are featured in depth. They have incredible units, it really is a great mod for all cavalry fans. The mod features the steppe from Samarkand to Urgench and beyond, cavalry country. There are many mercenary cavalry units to choose from. Overall I'm really enjoying my all cav experience in Broken Crescent. It's quite challenging as well, not the piece of cake M2: TW was (even on VH/VH).

I wanted to post an all cavalry formation for all cavalry players here, from Broken Crescent.

Royal Ayyubid All Cavalry Combined Arms Force

1 Sultan's Guard
    3 Royal Mamluk Cavalry
    2 Royal Toassim Mamluk Cavalry
    4 Kurdish Lancers
    10 Qara Ghulam Cavalry

Setup is pretty simple. The Elite Mamluk Corp at center, with Toassims on the flanks, 2 groups of 3X Qara Ghulams forward center, 2 groups of 2X Qara Ghulams + 2 Kurdish Lancers on both flanks. Elite Corp is mobile and supports other corps wherever needed. Center corps purpose is to harass directly from the front and pull units towards the Elite Corps. The flank groups run behind the enemy and select most valuable enemy targets (general,cavalry, missile).

And ... a couple of screenshots:

From Ayyubid Campaign:
    The Final Moments of a Marshall of Jerusalem.

From Ayyubid Campaign:
    Final Phase of the Last Battle vs The Kingdom of Jerusalem.

SALUTE !
    Last edited by Shahed; 02-29-2008 at 13:01.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

awsome article.

it surprises me that a lot of people don't seem to understand how to uses these guys, the fundemental concept is very easy and in single player it is extremely easy to pull off (Thx pause button)

Camel gunners are hilarious though, because they simply do everything well, they're even very useful in seige assualt / defese, something most other HAs can't say (except the Jinet types of course) once a breach other just have them fire through it as the enemy swarms around. and run if they come near. the combination of them clogging together and relative close range with all the associated moral penalties in seiges is just hilarious. in retrofit mods a gunner guarding a gate with boiling oil is just hilarious. Grandine Xbow is actually a good unit, the only problem is that in the campaign you can usually get gunners faster than those guys lol!!! who needs crossbows when you have gunners ? ;)

In the Stainless steel mod the Cuman is also a very very nice faction for HA lovers to play, their basic cuman HA is pretty solid (long range missile) and more importantly can be build at both type of settements at very low level. they get a nice armored noble HA and then at the end they get the Cossak mounted muskets. hilarious. seiging is a bitch though (at least strait up assault.. ). and because your basically a mass HA army you can't really afford to get seiged too.

A few thought.

a. cavalry army seige: it works, but you have to wait for them to sally. obviously you could flip the coin and risk using a smaller cav army so the dumb AI will sally right away though. for a strait up assualt / defense horsemans are fairly useless in general. exceptions maybe the javlin types on defense. and the crazy camel gunners in both.

b. on mounted X-bows, my history readings suggest that the Chinese used crossbows for their chariot crews after the weapon beging showing up in the later half of the Zhou dynasty. obviously fireing from a platform on the chariot is a lot easier and make sense in so many ways. but as the chariots died out not too long after that. there have been records of mounted X-bows, though it seems to mostly suggest them dismounting to fight. it make sense espically in this early going, since this was probably before the horsemans even had stirrups.

I don't see any reference of mounted X-bows for later dynasties like the Song / Ming , considering that the X-bow was a huge and enduring weapon in China, if this was a feasable tactic surely they would have tried it more. accounts of Tang warriors seem to suggest that their x-bows wielding warriors road to war, but fought on foot (and they bring with them a special 2-handed saber that can be used as a makeshift stake.)

I'm guessing that the problem is that more effective versions of the crossbows require fullbody to load. thus making them impossible for use while riding. while the once you could load on horseback is simply less effective than composite bows. while one may argue that composite bows are harder to train. it's not like the guys riding a horse on battle would be some sort of levy rabble. they ARE trained for war anyway. i suppose that it might be possible for some european factions that doesn't have access to superior bows to use lighter versions of crossbows while riding though. it's theorically possible at least. but would have most likely been vastly inferior to most horse archers due to reload time and range. (not to meantion the horseman's skill)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm a pretty lazy HA commander though, i usually just do a cross beween the grind and bag trick. seperating my HAs into two bodies and encircle the enemies to devastate them in crossfires, with a small backup of heavy and light cavs to deal with opposing cav charge or to finish off the enemy.

against the AI, the only thing that really bothers you would be mass seige obviously. since those rocks are indiscriminant and fairly random. it's hard to avoid at least some casualty.
    Last edited by RollingWave; 06-16-2008 at 08:06.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

I should check back on this thread more often.

That was a great victory, Fisherking. Great story too. You're absolutely right about charging through, too. Risky but rewarding.

Sinan, old friend, those battles accounts and pictures were great.

Good points, RollingWave.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Mounted crossbow....

http://198.170.108.27/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=589

Regardless, I doubt they were a match for normal HA

.....Orda

some really interesting stuff in there.
    i definitely need to learn how to better utilize missile cavs, and use them more often.

Really really excellent thread. Started a campaign as Rohan in the Third Age Total War mod and have had great success applying these tactics with Rohan's horsearchers. The funny thing is that the Rohan HA have pretty meager stats compared to most HA in the main game or mods like Broken Creasent, but since they are the only ones that can be fielded in sizable numbers, they OWN the battlefield. I guess the one-eyed man is king in the land of the blind. Anyway, the HA are a great 1-2 punch with melee cav. The HA "clear the path" by taking out the javlin-throwers, spear-wielders, and other baddies that can put a hurt on heavy cav from a distance, and the Riders of the Mark blow their horn, lower their lances, and clean up the rest. Great fun. But often, the HA can win small battles by themselves, even massively outnumbered. I look forward to playing a campaign with Byzantium or Poland in the main game when I get a chance. Thanks again for the great guide.

Nice thread! I always loved missle cavs..now i will know how to use them at full power

This is a great thread indeed.
    I remember Dougs posts from the Age of Empires' section of heavengames forum, he was a huge mongols fan back then and used to write very good posts also.
    It's nice to see him usin' his great analysys skills to another medieval strategy game (too bad the actual strategic part of M II TW isn't as good as the tactical part, it would of been one of the greatest games ever made).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567