Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Samy the Killer is dead!

  1. #1
    "'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The live music capital of the world.
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Samy the Killer is dead!

    The Sultan of Egypt (who shares the same nickname) is deeply saddened by the loss of his master of assassins. All of the world may now breathe easier knowing that the Egyptians have lost their greatest asset. Poor Samy is dead. Samy the Killer. Samy with his maxxed out skill level. Samy with his courtesan and catamite and poisoner and apprentice. Samy with his exquisite blade (wonderful item! Wish I'd been able to hand it off before he died!). Samy the Killer, who single-handledly destroyed 4 generations of the Turkish ruling family. Samy the Killer who removed 10 merchants from resources his sultan coveted. Samy the Killer who sent every Christian priest and bishop he encountered off to meet Allah. Samy the Killer who removed 6-star generals and the cream of the European nobility.

    How did Samy the Killer die, you ask? He tried to kill one too many generals and fell to a fatal nose blow from a door. Oh, the shame.

    (I could kick myself for getting cocky and not saving the game before I sent Samy on a 95% success mission to kill a rebel general of all things! He was killed by the other 5%)
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

  2. #2
    Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    in ur city killin ur militias
    Posts
    2,934

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    I'm surprised he lasted that long... I've had absolutely dismal luck with assassins so far, wasn't ever able to get one above 5-6 skill points. I also firmly believe from the testing I ran that the probability of success given when presented with a target is completely inaccurate.

    There does seem to be an interesting discrepancy forming in terms of other forum member's experiences. As I read it, those who are able to train up their assassins to high levels state they are almost unbeatable and almost never fail. On the other hand there are a large number of folks who've had the same luck with assassins as me, in that the low and medium skilled ones are just about useless. It'd be nice if this were a much flatter curve instead of a steep one, making the low/mid level assassins more useful, and perhaps making the high level ones less godlike.

    /shrug

    "Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

  3. #3
    "'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The live music capital of the world.
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    Find a rebel army not doing anything particularly annoying. Watchtowers are good for this. They like to hang out by watchtowers and people watch. Send in your assassin to kill the rebel army general. It might take a couple of assassins to get a first successful kill; but once you do get that first kill you can stand there and attack the rebel army over and over while building up your assassin's skill. It's that first kill which is the toughest. At some point during this you'll get at least one retinue member for your assassin. Once you get your assassin to 4-5 skill this way, you can safely send him off to begin assassinating princesses and merchants and priests. Try to avoid making any attempt at less than 50% during this period. And never, ever, try to assassinate an inquisitor. I've only had it succeed once and that was at 95% with a max-skill assassin. It helps to have a higher level assassin at the start, using one of your big cities to build the assassin's line. And having a master assassin's guild helps too.

    Yes, I was extremely lucky with Samy. I never had to save and reload. He never failed, after I built him up to 5 stars on a rebel army. Well, he never failed until he had that spot of bad luck on his last, fatal, mission.

    Samy was recruited from a huge city with a pleasure palace and a master assassin's guild. He started with nice skill and it only took a couple of missions to get him to 5 skill and off to begin his long and incredibly lucky run.

    And I agree whole-heartedly, that the whole assassin thing is entirely too random. That and inquisitors need to be addressed in the patch. Although, I don't hold out much hope that they will be fixed.
    Last edited by Aenlic; 11-29-2006 at 21:25.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

  4. #4
    Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Frederiksberg, Denmark
    Posts
    7,129

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    Oh, just want to point out that it appears that you can't ship off retnues anymore.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!


  5. #5
    Von Uber Member Butcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Manning the barricades
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    My maxed skill asassain had a 10% chance of killing a venetian general whoo was a mission target. How does that work eh? The enemy must have had some insane personal protection traits.
    - I'm sorry, but giving everyone an equal part when they're not clearly equal is what again, class?

    - Communism!

    - That's right. And I didn't tap all those Morse code messages to the Allies 'til my shoes filled with blood to just roll out the welcome mat for the Reds.

  6. #6
    Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In The Kastro
    Posts
    1,213

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    I sent my best assassin on a regicide mission to kill the Egyptian king, he was maxed out several good retinues etc and had 25% chance to succeed but alas he did not but the funny thing is my newly recruited assassin that was near by managed to slay the king with 5% chance heh.

    Assassins should not die that easily though i agree they should fail often cause it shouldn't be easy to kill everything either.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,863

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    Oh, just want to point out that it appears that you can't ship off retnues anymore.
    Actually Crusade items and a few others can be exchanged. The true cross or the holy lance. Theres a few others but it is very limited.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

  8. #8
    "'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The live music capital of the world.
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    I haven't tried to transfer personal items other than relics. Are you sure it's only relics? I had a princess with a "delicate blade" but I forgot to try and transfer it before she died. And, of course, Samy died with his exquisite dagger on him.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

  9. #9
    Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leading the formation!
    Posts
    7,918

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    Hmm .. crud !

    More relics to manage... have 4-5 10 skill assasins. I believe 2 of them have daggers etc. have to recheck.

    This means I'll have to watch their age and transfer the weapons, which is about NOW ! 2 of them are over 50. ACK ! ... back to the game, quick ! before they die and take their exquisite daggers with them to the grave ! NOT !
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

    http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

  10. #10
    Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    in ur city killin ur militias
    Posts
    2,934

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    Dangit, this is the 2304923th time vB has done this to me! I meant to post this in this thread here...

    ----snip-----

    Hrmmm... So I'm somewhat perplexed at this point. Been doing some searching and reading from other forum members and a few other sites, and it may turn out after all that your 95% chance may not have been even close to 95% in actuality. I'd *really* like CA to verify this, but it appears that other characters in proximity to your assassin and target can affect the outcome, such as spys/etc, and it won't show up as a factor in your displayed probability. So your 95% chance may have really been a 5% chance.

    ----snip-----

    "Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

  11. #11
    Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leading the formation!
    Posts
    7,918

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    Wow. Thanks for the info.

    BTW... What I always do is copy paste the post (if it's longer than a 3 liner) into notepad, before I hit post. Or simply do a cntl+c for clipboard. Saves a lot of re-typing, sometimes.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

    http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

  12. #12
    Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leading the formation!
    Posts
    7,918

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    Hey I just tried to transfer an exquisite blade from one assasin (who's gonna die any day now) to a younger one, by click and drag. Did'nt work. How should I do it ?
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

    http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

  13. #13
    Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    in ur city killin ur militias
    Posts
    2,934

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinan
    Hey I just tried to transfer an exquisite blade from one assasin (who's gonna die any day now) to a younger one, by click and drag. Did'nt work. How should I do it ?
    If that didn't work, then it looks like you're hosed, my good man. I'd imagine that we'll be able to tell for certain when we get the patch and the unpacker what relics/items/groupies are transferable and which aren't.

    "Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

  14. #14
    Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leading the formation!
    Posts
    7,918

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    LOL Ok. Did'nt think about that.

    So some are transferrable and some are'nt. I guess I'll have to try it with every single one to see if it/they are transferrable.

    Am I doing it right ? You have to click and drag from the agent info screen to another assasin on the unit panel right ?

    Well he'll have to take it the grave if it's not transferrable. Hmmf !
    Lucky, greedy scoundrel that he is.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

    http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

  15. #15
    Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Frederiksberg, Denmark
    Posts
    7,129

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    The two assassins are to be in the same 'stack', then you look at the elder assassin and drag the blade from his retinue to the card (in the bottom box/bar) of the other assassin. Just like in RTW and BI. If it won't do that (I believe it says it is impossible to transfer the retinue), then it is locked.

    On a sidenote, those blades should be transferable. I mean an old grizzled assassin, on the verge of retirement, passing his legendary blade onto a young and promising apprentice? Sound perfectly plausible to me.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!


  16. #16
    "'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The live music capital of the world.
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    I think you're right, Whacker. Lots of other "invisible" factors come into play with assassinations. I guess we'll just have to accept the incredible randomness of assassinations. We don't have to like it, though!


    Sinan, I haven't tried transferring a relic yet. I just started a new campaign; so no way currently to check it. I forgot to think about it in my other campaigns. No big surprise. I get so involved in some aspects that I forget others. I've had diplomats just a turn or two away from a faction's city when the time on the mission to send them a diplomat runs out and I fail the mission because I forgot to move him.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

  17. #17
    Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leading the formation!
    Posts
    7,918

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    Well the Kaa'ba Lock I did manage to transfer it. Then carried on playing, quit. Loaded the wrong savegame, and just before my leader turned 60 I realised I'd loaded the wrong savegame and he was still bearing "teh Lock !". So that item is surely transferrable.

    I think that not all items are transferrable, neither are all retinues, but some are. This is based solely on "teh lock!" experience. I'm trying to figure out the retinue as well.

    There is something else. It appears that all 4 of my 10 skill assasins have 3 retinues. It seems that 3 is the max, because ofc I've been going wild with those assasins kiling everything in my realm and beyond. If 3 is not the max, then naturally these guys would have hordes of divine courtesans and such following them about by now. If it is the max then it may be that you can't transfer a retinue (those which CAN be transferred, once the max retinue is reached.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

    http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

  18. #18

    Default Re: Samy the Killer is dead!

    i find assassins really annoying. you train one, and i can never find anyone with a more than 25% success rate to kill... so i end up with dead assassins or 'not a killer' assassins.

    one has broken the mould. Toby the Killer is cold hearted killer, gets 4 points for being adept at killing and has a courtisan and catamite. i got lucky with him on a few rebel captains, and now its danish captains who are getting popped.

    the rest of the poor assassins are useful for sabotage.
    Last edited by econ21; 12-04-2006 at 11:44.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO