Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Do devs read these forums?

  1. #1

    Default Do devs read these forums?

    Do the devs of TW read this forum? Do they post here at all? Is there a forum where they do, if not?

  2. #2
    Member Member Mumu Champion Prodigal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    578

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    They seem to read & post on this forum more than they do on the totalwar.com one.

    I guess that with the game out now, & the patch being made there's probably not much for them to say.

    If they ever do post on a thread its marked with a CA logo, if you check back a few pages you'll find some examples.

  3. #3
    Texan Member BigTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arlington, Texas, United States of America.
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    I'd only be guessing here, but I wouldn't be supprised if they lurk the forums here. But your best bet would be on their own official forums here.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

  4. #4
    Cynic Senior Member sapi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    4,970

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Yes, the devs do read these forums, though how much and to what purpose remains their secret ;)

    As Prodigal mentioned, if you see the CA logo to the right of a thread when browsing the forums, that indicates that a CA staff member has posted in that thread, so it might be worth checking out for updates and the like.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

  5. #5
    Texan Member BigTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arlington, Texas, United States of America.
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    Yes, the devs do read these forums, though how much and to what purpose remains their secret ;)

    As Prodigal mentioned, if you see the CA logo to the right of a thread when browsing the forums, that indicates that a CA staff member has posted in that thread, so it might be worth checking out for updates and the like.
    Yes I just realized the CA logo. Less nyquil might be a good thing sometimes.

    I think they may be hiding in the backroom. Everyone hides with shame in the backroom.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

  6. #6

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Devs do read the forums, some not many in fact. I'm ex game biz dev for 10 years and left the biz because of this very reason that a team will bust itself making a game for 1 maybe 2 years, sometimes all hours on top only for publisher to release it too early for a quick buck on quaterly budgets. Sadly anyone who says 'hey you can't release this yet it's not done yet' gets fired. There's nothing worse than picking up the pieces of a dev team who get shafted this way. Execs who 'don't play' call the shots and they just don't get it, or give a heck. It's sad though, especially with a quality 4th gen game like this. Same thing has happened with Mark of Chaos too.

  7. #7

    Post Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Yes, but only Captain Fishpants seems to post here at the moment.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by cap23
    Devs do read the forums, some not many in fact. I'm ex game biz dev for 10 years and left the biz because of this very reason that a team will bust itself making a game for 1 maybe 2 years, sometimes all hours on top only for publisher to release it too early for a quick buck on quaterly budgets. Sadly anyone who says 'hey you can't release this yet it's not done yet' gets fired. There's nothing worse than picking up the pieces of a dev team who get shafted this way. Execs who 'don't play' call the shots and they just don't get it, or give a heck. It's sad though, especially with a quality 4th gen game like this. Same thing has happened with Mark of Chaos too.
    Whats a biz?

  9. #9
    blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,773

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Business.

    CA do read all the fan forums, i met the guy who does at the Gold Code day event.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    They read them... and weep.

    With both Joy and Sadness no doubt.
    morsus mihi

  11. #11
    blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,773

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Mostly saddness im guessing judging by what i read over at the .com forums, and at toher fansites.

  12. #12
    Discipulus et Magister Member Lord Condormanius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Haven, CT USA
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    I'm guessing biz=business.
    "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."
    -Albert Einstein

    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    -Benjamin Franklin

  13. #13
    Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    I don't know, Lusted. I think it's quite likely they largely ignore the .com site like I do. I can't stand that place. Too much whining by people who can't use their brains. In fact, the vast majority of the "official" forums for games I've liked are similar. I think that's as far as that crowd gets; they find a place to vent and stay there. The more serious fans gravitate beyond those.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    Business.

    CA do read all the fan forums, i met the guy who does at the Gold Code day event.
    No one from CA is regularly active in the forums here. If they read them then what is the logic in them not posting?

  15. #15
    Member Member Kraggenmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Veresov
    No one from CA is regularly active in the forums here. If they read them then what is the logic in them not posting?
    Think of it as sending spies into a region. They're there to collect information.


    "No swords for you wannabes! Get back to poking!"
    - Dopp -

  16. #16

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Veresov
    No one from CA is regularly active in the forums here. If they read them then what is the logic in them not posting?
    Simple: It is pretty impossible for any of them to represent CA as an individual (it's not their job to) - but any reply by them WOULD be treated as a reply from CA, not an individual.

    SO the safest and best policy is always to read but not comment unless given express permission on a specific subject and having cleared that through the very top levels.

    (Unless the company has a specific job position to post on forums, such as a "online community relations manager". Generally you don't see too many of those outside of online games though.)
    morsus mihi

  17. #17

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmoor_Dragon
    Simple: It is pretty impossible for any of them to represent CA as an individual (it's not their job to) - but any reply by them WOULD be treated as a reply from CA, not an individual.

    SO the safest and best policy is always to read but not comment unless given express permission on a specific subject and having cleared that through the very top levels.

    (Unless the company has a specific job position to post on forums, such as a "online community relations manager". Generally you don't see too many of those outside of online games though.)
    What you are saying is that it is unlikely that anyone from CA is actually reading anything on here on a regular basis.

    I would think for example that CA would be interested in asking some questions about some of the bugs people are seeing or asking for some more information.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Veresov
    What you are saying is that it is unlikely that anyone from CA is actually reading anything on here on a regular basis.

    I would think for example that CA would be interested in asking some questions about some of the bugs people are seeing or asking for some more information.
    They'll have plenty of folks reading them, certainly: either on work time or off - you just wont see many responding.

    They only need to chase down obscure bugs they cannot reproduce themselves, anything that can be reproduced doesn't need commenting on. And often such "research" can be conducted through the forum owner or Mods rather than direct via a thread (such as a request for bug information gathering into a concise thread)

    Or sometimes clarification of something that is WAD and isn't a bug but is heavily perceived to be a bug.

    Most games companies have pretty strict policies on responding to forums (BBS/Groups etc) though and you can't blame them for either doing that or for the employees to sticking to the rules.

    Plenty of instances where folks have lost their job by not following such guidelines: remember that very few employees in a company will be able to act on behalf of the entire company, which is what you are doing by replying to a post as a company employee (or at best what you are *perceived* as doing).

    Read, sure, reply, mostly not.
    morsus mihi

  19. #19
    Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    9,651

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Veresov
    No one from CA is regularly active in the forums here.
    If you mean, they are not actively reading, then that is untrue. If I look at the members who are logged in, I usually see a CA name sometime during the day.

    If they read them then what is the logic in them not posting?
    Well, if you have read some of the frustrated opinions expressed by CA on this forum after posting or while posting, you might understand. Their posts would often spark a kind of "feeding frenzy" of posts in response. Our responses were usually friendly but typically rather demanding (we all have lots of questions and opinions), sometimes rude and on occasion making unwarranted inferences from what was said, potentially getting the CA poster into trouble.

    I would liken it to a shy popstar (is there such a thing?) getting mobbed by a crowd of teenage girls. Only the mob are not very cute. Moreover, half want to rip out the popstar's hair. And the other half hate him and want to knee him in the groin.

    To be honest, if I were a CA staffer, I would think twice before posting here. I would surf to get feedback, but spend the rest of my time doing work - not debating with strangers on the internet.

    If we could all be a bit more cool about it when they post, we might entice more CA staffers to raise their heads over the parapet.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Veresov
    No one from CA is regularly active in the forums here. If they read them then what is the logic in them not posting?
    It takes less time to read than it does to post, Sherlock.

  21. #21
    Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Zurich
    Posts
    4,162

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Econ's right on the money guy's.

    Would you post here if the roles were reversed?? Not likely.

  22. #22
    Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    in ur city killin ur militias
    Posts
    2,934

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant
    Econ's right on the money guy's.

    Would you post here if the roles were reversed?? Not likely.
    Of course not. There's something to be said for being able to offer criticism in a polite, professional manner without being a jerk, and people realizing that mobbing a CA person when posting with anything on their mind isn't going to help the situation. On the other hand, it needs to be noted that rampant buttkissing and that zomg-happy-like-that-ditzy-blonde-you-knew-in-high-school attitude that's enforced in official forums by deleting any post that doesn't fit that bill (in general) isn't conducive to discussion that may seem like complaining.

    Someone else mentioned this earlier, I think one of the big reasons by far is that people would assume that a CA person posting "represents" their employer as a whole. Due to legal reasons and perceptions I doubt this will ever change. As such what we most often get are "community managers" who do nothing but interact with the public at large. I tend to dismiss these folks as without fail, they usually do not come across as down-to-earth humans, most often dismissing or downplaying big time complaints or issues that are legit, regardless of how they're stated, and generally portraying their employer as can-never-do-wrong. In other words, trying to "manage" the community, instead of interacting with it. Also, those types tend to not ever give any real or firm information on the game regarding things such as bugs, patches, etc. There's a quote that I'm reminded of but don't have it handy word for word, it goes something like "It's amazing how one can say so much, and really not say anything at all" I could give a few examples of these types through some other forums I know, both official and unofficial for other games, but it's pointless and not going to help this discussion at all.

    Whatever the case, it'd still love to see some better interaction from CA, from the developers themselves. Yeah it's a given there are going to be the hordes of n00bs and types that do nothing but mob and complain, but there are enough of us out there who really do appreciate the games and the developers hard work, but do have some legitimate points of discussion that we'd love to engage them on, such as game mechanics, bug discussion, general shooting the crap, etc. Plus giving them some good natured and well intended hell builds character.

    Cheers!

    "Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

  23. #23

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Hell, I'd be surprised if some of the guys working at CA weren't regular members, maybe even posting regularly. They don't have to advertise their employment, and if they're not on work time, what harm can they do by sharing a story about a good battle they played?

    In other words, my bet is that there are people from CA here, but not on the company bill and not letting us know they're from CA. They're careful not to say anything about it, but I know I'd be active in the community if possible. Why wouldn't they, so long as they don't say anything about their job? Recounting a game they played or something that happened in their offtime has no bearing on CA at all.

    And also, we've got a nice buglist going, and I'm sure they love to see it from us.

  24. #24
    Signifer, Cohors II Legio II Member Comrade Alexeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by unknown_user
    In other words, my bet is that there are people from CA here, but not on the company bill and not letting us know they're from CA. They're careful not to say anything about it, but I know I'd be active in the community if possible. Why wouldn't they, so long as they don't say anything about their job? Recounting a game they played or something that happened in their offtime has no bearing on CA at all.
    Oh ho ho ho ho you'd die in the business world...

    And also, we've got a nice buglist going, and I'm sure they love to see it from us.
    They do appreciate our input. We're mentioned in the manual credits!
    Signifer Titus Vorenus
    Cohors II Legion II
    Triana Fortis


    http://www.geocities.com/tuccius2112...ianaindex.html

  25. #25

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Alexeo
    Oh ho ho ho ho you'd die in the business world...

    Yeah, it's a good thing I'm not planning on spending any time in it, eh? Me and my craziness...

  26. #26

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Ive seen a few hanging around here for in all TW games ive played.

    Giskard

  27. #27
    Ero-oyaji extraordinaire Member Zoltan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Osaka, Japan
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Yep, they're around! It take a special kind of thread to get their attention but check this!

    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=73565

    Seriously if I was from CA I'l go daft from the crap on the other board. This is the only one that I know of where things stay civil and (sometimes) constructive. Plus we've got the neatest bug list.

  28. #28
    Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Zurich
    Posts
    4,162

    Default Re: Do devs read these forums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    Of course not. There's something to be said for being able to offer criticism in a polite, professional manner without being a jerk, and people realizing that mobbing a CA person when posting with anything on their mind isn't going to help the situation. On the other hand, it needs to be noted that rampant buttkissing and that zomg-happy-like-that-ditzy-blonde-you-knew-in-high-school attitude that's enforced in official forums by deleting any post that doesn't fit that bill (in general) isn't conducive to discussion that may seem like complaining.

    Someone else mentioned this earlier, I think one of the big reasons by far is that people would assume that a CA person posting "represents" their employer as a whole. Due to legal reasons and perceptions I doubt this will ever change. As such what we most often get are "community managers" who do nothing but interact with the public at large. I tend to dismiss these folks as without fail, they usually do not come across as down-to-earth humans, most often dismissing or downplaying big time complaints or issues that are legit, regardless of how they're stated, and generally portraying their employer as can-never-do-wrong. In other words, trying to "manage" the community, instead of interacting with it. Also, those types tend to not ever give any real or firm information on the game regarding things such as bugs, patches, etc. There's a quote that I'm reminded of but don't have it handy word for word, it goes something like "It's amazing how one can say so much, and really not say anything at all" I could give a few examples of these types through some other forums I know, both official and unofficial for other games, but it's pointless and not going to help this discussion at all.

    Whatever the case, it'd still love to see some better interaction from CA, from the developers themselves. Yeah it's a given there are going to be the hordes of n00bs and types that do nothing but mob and complain, but there are enough of us out there who really do appreciate the games and the developers hard work, but do have some legitimate points of discussion that we'd love to engage them on, such as game mechanics, bug discussion, general shooting the crap, etc. Plus giving them some good natured and well intended hell builds character.

    Cheers!
    I agree Whacker.

    It's great when they are here and you get a thread in which you can have a good discussion. It is possible on this board but unfortunately it is become less frequent. With so many people on these boards the level of discussion can nose dive dramatically.

    Your description of "handling" the community is perfect. That is exactly what was done when the Load/Save Bug was being discussed (for want of a better word) sometime ago. All it did was drive the situation even further down the toilet.

    Fishpants is the only CA guy I've seen around here regularly. Personally I'd like to think that the Moderators as a much smaller group and hopefully a sensible "peer group" have more contact with CA. At least I hope they do.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO