Thread: Spear wall gives it all away!

Default Spear wall gives it all away!

I had something strange, both heartening and disappointing, happen in a recent game. I attacked an army of Swiss rebels which, as one would expect, contained Swiss pikemen. They were all formed up on the opposite corner of the map at the base of a slope. Funny place to put their army I thought. However then I realised what the AI was thinking. Forward and to the right of the main force, in a forest, was another two units of pikemen facing toward the main force. Evidently the AI was trying to draw me into attacking the main force before springing their surprise attack on me. Problem was, the pikemen were in spear wall formation so I could see them plain as day. A minor issue but one that ought to be dealt with (the AI should know not to put units it wants to hide in spear wall formation).

Default Re: Spear wall gives it all away!

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Mental
    I had something strange, both heartening and disappointing, happen in a recent game. I attacked an army of Swiss rebels which, as one would expect, contained Swiss pikemen. They were all formed up on the opposite corner of the map at the base of a slope. Funny place to put their army I thought. However then I realised what the AI was thinking. Forward and to the right of the main force, in a forest, was another two units of pikemen facing toward the main force. Evidently the AI was trying to draw me into attacking the main force before springing their surprise attack on me. Problem was, the pikemen were in spear wall formation so I could see them plain as day. A minor issue but one that ought to be dealt with (the AI should know not to put units it wants to hide in spear wall formation).
    I had the exact same thing. I sent a cavalry unit (don't ask) to the "hiding" pikemen. However the AI did not register my presence there and the units stood rigidly looking towards the main force as my cavalry moved into position. Evidently, as you suggest, the AI thinks the units are hidden and it was only when I charged them did the spell break and the unit act normally.
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Put that in the bug list guy's.

That's great stuff AI behavior if it works correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant
    Put that in the bug list guy's.
    Are CA actually looking at that list?

Yes, they are - i've sent the first version off to them and intend to keep them updated on what will probably be a weekly basis (whether they request it or not :P )
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    Yes, they are - i've sent the first version off to them and intend to keep them updated on what will probably be a weekly basis (whether they request it or not :P )
    So... if they are still gathering informataion on bugs we shouldn't expect a patch for ages, is that right?

As long as that damn ballista/cannon tower thing is sorted.

It really depends on whether they decide to do incremental patches or one big one.

Whatever they do, i intend to keep them up to date, so nothing gets missed.
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    It really depends on whether they decide to do incremental patches or one big one.

Whatever they do, i intend to keep them up to date, so nothing gets missed.
    Good man.

I thought they had already decided to only do one patch.

I've read that around too, but since i haven't seen the original CA post that prompted that line of thinking i can't be sure.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Yeah, it is actually really nice that teh AI attempts ambushes.

But so far all the attempts have failed in the fact that I have been able to see the ambushers from the start. I think the AI should be aware of units that are not hiding. I mean who here would do the same as it does? Continually I mean.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!