Thread: How to reduce the Size of a Mod?

Default How to reduce the Size of a Mod?

I've been working on a little mod for awhile now, and I'm almost done. But I have a major problem with it-it is way too huge! At the moment it consists of every file contained in both RTW and BI, plus all the changes I've made in those folders. I tried packaging just the folders and texts that I've changed and trying to enable it that way using JSGME, but it wasn't there at all. I know it's possible to make it much smaller-after all, there are lots of great mods out there with myriad changes that are not nearly so large.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Cormaeg

Stumbler amongst files

Default Re: How to reduce the Size of a Mod?

Most mods use a installer which can be downloaded using this link: www.clickteam.com

Hmmm...the link is not working for me, but it was a nice idea, Aleric.

Actually, what I'm talking about though is, take for instance Arthurian Total War. I mean (I might be wrong here but to a neophyte it seems like) they've almost changed the entire game. And yet the size of the mod itself is nowhere near as large as all the files I have.

The people who made it obviously knew which files to package and which files not to package. Unless those installers do all that for you?
    Cormaeg

Stumbler amongst files

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

I guess that the only files you need to package would be those that you have changed or added. For instance if your mod only changes which factions can build epic stone walls then you'd only need to include export_descr_buildings.txt.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein