Thread: Campaign map creation

Default Campaign map creation

Hello, me again. Does anyone have any tips on campaign map creation? I'm creating an island, and am having problems when it comes to the different size images for regions and terrian. I'm pretty sure that's what is causing the error I am getting, anyway - "error with descr_strat - could not create settlement at line 3113, column 12". I reckon there are discrepancies with the different size images, but it's difficult to get them the same. If I scale one down or up it goes all fuzzy.

Default Re: Campaign map creation

Anyone? The error is still "could not create settlement at script line XX." I've also noticed that while map.rwm is appearing every time I run the game, heights.hgt isn't. That might have something to do with it.

did you edit the heights map? that might be it

Yeah, the new province is on an island. It's all one colour though - almost black (I was starting simple). The map roughness i also one colour, again almost black.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Post pics.

What program are you using? I use psp and when resizing make sure I use pixel resize. Using any kind or scaling that blurs is bad

If you want to know the required sizes of the different files, they're there in my camp map tutorial.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I use GIMP. I used a tempory layer with partial transparency to get the things in the right place. Note that the map_reigons.tga is zoomed in 200% so you can see it better.

Odd, I can't edit my posts... Ignore the spoiler tags, I didn't realise they didn't work here.

I notice map heights looks a little fuzzy in the screenshot. It shouldn't (the file isn't fuzzy, anyway).

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

what did you do about map_heights.hgt? You need to make sure you have not got old one in either the provincial campaign folder or in base folder (if new map is same size as existing it reads the one in base!). For versions 1.3 / 1.4 you'd have to make new one - but for other patches you can run without one.

I think that error message can also relate to problem with text files - you need to make sure spelling and case is of region is exactly the same in descr_strat, descr_regions and data/text/campaign_name_regions_and_settlements.txt.
    And also that you've got the correct colour reference in descr_regions.

To test if its island or text causing problem - you could try:
    A. delete .rwm - and try launching game with new map_heights, roughness and ground type tgas but with old text files (assume you kept backups)
    and old map_regions. That should show you if your island is appearing OK.
    or
    B.make revised temporary version of map_regions and put your new regions colour and city pixel on an existing land mass to see if it will work there..

EDIT: oh and you'll get edit function when you become member rather that junior member - think that's just a matter of having a few more posts.... did anyone say welcome to the forums? If not welcome!
    Last edited by Makanyane; 12-03-2006 at 20:19.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Thanks. That solved that error, but now I'm stuck on another one... sorry! There's an error in descr_strat on the very last line of the file, saying "You have chosen an invalid tile (0,0) for the settlement of". The line is the last one of the file, and doesn't have anything on it! Above it are faction relationships and stuff...

Did the show-err message actually name your new region?

If not, I think you can get a message like that if you have an extra / invalid position for a port (white) pixel in map_regions (show-err gets its ports and settlements mixed up on some errors)
    Download the:

The show err didn't name the reigon, but it did name the line of the file the error is occuring on. As I said, it's the end of the file:
    Code:
    faction_relationships	romans_julii,		100		romans_brutii
    faction_relationships	romans_julii, 		100		romans_scipii
    faction_relationships	romans_julii,		100		romans_senate
    faction_relationships	romans_julii, 		600		slave
    faction_relationships	romans_brutii, 		100		romans_julii
    faction_relationships	romans_brutii,		100		romans_scipii
    faction_relationships	romans_brutii,		100		romans_senate
    faction_relationships	romans_brutii,		600		slave
    faction_relationships	romans_scipii,		100		romans_julii
    faction_relationships	romans_scipii,		100		romans_brutii
    faction_relationships	romans_scipii,		100		romans_senate
    faction_relationships	romans_scipii,		600		slave
    faction_relationships	macedon,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	egypt,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	seleucid,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	carthage,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	parthia,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	pontus,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	gauls,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	germans,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	britons,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	armenia,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	dacia,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	greek_cities,		600		slave
    faction_relationships	numidia,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	scythia,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	spain,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	thrace,			600		slave
    faction_relationships	slave,			600		romans_julii, romans_brutii, romans_scipii, romans_senate, macedon, egypt, seleucid, carthage, parthia, pontus, gauls, germans, britons, armenia, dacia, greek_cities, numidia, scythia, spain, thrace
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ; >>>> start of regions section <<<<

<----------- THIS LINE IS THE ONE WITH THE ERROR ON IT! There are no lines underneath the error line!

Right then I think that's definitely one of the misleading messages, it obviously isn't actually an error at that point in file - just something show_err isn't programmed to interperate correctly.

as I said in second para. possibly to do with port pixel in map_regions.tga, though I think there are other things that might do that as well - if you don't get any where I'll see if I can find / remember ways of duplicating that error message tomorrow.....
    Last edited by Makanyane; 12-05-2006 at 23:10.
    Download the:

I don't think it has anything to do with a port. At first there was no port, but I added one to see if it would solve the problem. It didn't.

I'll check back tomorrow then. Thanks, I really appreciate this.

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Just remember that an error message like that one just means that somewhere before that line is the error, so in this case any line in the file could be the culprit.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Found one thing that gives exactly that error in RTW1.5 - 'could not create settlement at line xxx (last in descr_strat) at (0,0)'. That is having one or more pixels of a colour on your map_regions.tga that doesn't belong to any region in descr_regions, i.e. you've now got more colours than regions in the map. Could be you've managed to use some non-opaque brush and hence got a mix of colour - or just that you hit the map somewhere with brush tool when you had wrong colour on selector, umm, etc...

could possibly also be if your port or city pixel is not pure colour ie. 0,0,0, or 255,255,255 but didn't test that one.

Don't know if GIMP has the function but there is useful check for that in PaintShopPro in that you can use, count colours used function, to check that after having say added one region you have only one more colour on map than the version you started from did.

If that doesn't help perhaps you could zip and upload the files and give a link to them?
    Last edited by Makanyane; 12-06-2006 at 19:03.
    Download the:

No, I checked and there was a section on map_regions in the sea a very slightly different colour. It works now! Thanks ever so much! Is there any sort of rep/reward system on these forums?