Thread: Chokoji Castle - Famous sieges(slight return)

Default Chokoji Castle - Famous sieges(slight return)

Greetings

A while ago I posted a thread about famous sieges, I wanted to know if there where any sieges in which the besieged had sallyed forth and had managed to destroy there besiegers, despite being out numbered. There were lots of sieges and actions that nearly fitted the bill but eventually, the Siege of chokoji in japan seemed to fit the bill exactly - In 1570 Commander Shibata katsuie and 400 men were besieged by 4000 troops of the rokkaku clan in chokoji castle. The Rokkaku had cut of the supply of water to the castle, Shibata Katsuie decided that he would rather die in battle than die of thirst, he destroyed the remaining supplies of water in front of his troop, giving them no option but to fight or die, Luckily for him it paid off and they sallyed out of the castle and managed to defeat the Rokkaku troops

Since finding out about this seige Ive tried to find out more, the wikipedia article is pretty limited and every other reference I can find just seems to link back to the same article. Ive tried searching for old maps of japan, to no avail
    I did find a Chokoji on google earth but Im pretty sure its in the wrong region of japan.

So if anyone can find out where it was and how you pronounce Chokoji (I know from the wikipedia article it was in omi province, which I think is now called Shiga) I will be eternally grateful

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Default Re: Chokoji Castle - Famous sieges(slight return)

I don’t know much about the sally but I do know that Shibata “Oni” Katsuie was pretty badass and respected for his battlefield victories, Oda did not have a better general.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

it's basically south of lake biwa. i think the region was called iga province at the time. roughly near kyoto, osaka central honshu.
    indeed

yup I would say he deserves the title "Badass" or the japanese equivalent

cheers Nokhor, Thats helped a lot, Id give you a golden throwing star if i had one. Now all I need to do is find a historical map of the region, and someone to tell me how to pronounce chokoji. many thanks for the help

Ive had a quick look, but cant find a historical map that gives the site, but a least my search has been narrowed .
    Last edited by Vidar; 12-05-2006 at 16:54.