Thread: Factions & Units

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

Lightbulb Factions & Units

Untill we know what limitations exist in M2TW (and until then all predictions are just speculation; we wont know how many factions we can have until we are able to test the boundries ingame) the only definate factions are those that we drew up for the RTW version - this means we have only 20 (+ rebels) 'official' factions.

Organised by broad cultural bounds:

Northern European:
    England
    France
    Burgundy
    Kalmar Union
    Scotland
    Saxony
    Austria
    Bavaria

Southern European:
    Castile/Spain
    Venice
    Milan
    Naples

Eastern European:
    Hungary
    Poland (in personal union with Lithuania)

Orthadox Christian:
    Muscovy

Muslim:
    Moors
    Mamluks
    Ottomans
    Mongols

If, as is indicated by several sources, there is infact a limit of 30 (+ rebels) factions, that would give us a further 10 factions. No decisions have been made as of yet as to what these additional factions may be.
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

Default Re: Factions & Units

Placeholder for unit lists.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

Discipulus et Magister Member Lord Condormanius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodsPetMonkey
    Orthadox Christian:
    Muscovy
    Just curious. Why no Greek/Byzantine faction? They were very small and relatively powerless at the time, but they were there. The Turks didn't take Constantinople until 1453.

I'm sure you have a good reason. I was just wondering.
    "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."
    -Albert Einstein

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Condormanius
    Just curious. Why no Greek/Byzantine faction? They were very small and relatively powerless at the time, but they were there. The Turks didn't take Constantinople until 1453.

I'm sure you have a good reason. I was just wondering.
    Essentially, with a limit of 20 factions, we just didn't have the space. If M2TW does allow for 30, then I think it's very likely that they will make it (and would be one hell of a challenge to play as!).
    Now editing -

Discipulus et Magister Member Lord Condormanius's Avatar

Fair enough.

...and yes, I don't know who would be tougher to play as. The turks were beating down their door by the turn of the 15th century.
    "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."
    -Albert Einstein

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    -Benjamin Franklin

I don't know if you guys know yet, but it is confirmed now that the faction limit is 30+ rebels.
    May I suggest adding the Papal States, Portugal, Persia and perhaps Georgia.

Thanks and good luck with your mod, I was really looking forward to the RTW edition, but M2 should provide a better base.

PS, you may wish to contact Ogniem i Mieczem TW or Pike and Pusket TW to cooperate as those guys have lots of stuff on Poland-Lithuania and Muscovy that you may find useful.

Cheers.

Yes Ogniem and Maczem is a great mod, and the team boasts some extraordinary artists, but they are very reluctant to share their work.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I'd love to see Ireland amke it into the MTW2 version, but of course there are a bunch of other factions that might be better, and since I don't have the time to contribute much at all anymore I'll just keep my fingers crossed and trust youg uys.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

This is VERY ambitious project. Covering 200 years of history and the timeframe which marks transition from late medieval armies to pike & shot model. This will be big a challenge for modders of Citadel, because the amount of different units and their appearance changed quite a lot during this timeframe. Don't know if you plan to implement new buildings which could be very hard due to the destruction animations.
    Will definitely require more than year of hard modding to release something playable.

Nevertheless best wishes in your project.

I'm looking forward to this mod as well, because vanilla M2TW just starts getting interesting near the end, and i'm tired of going through the feudal periods everytime i start a new game.

Since we now know that there will be thirty faction slots, what are your thoughts as to the other ten factions?

Incidentally, I for one would definitely like to see a Byzantine faction in there. Not just because I'm naturally pro-Byzantine, but also because of the enormous challenge they would face!

EDIT:

Actually, here's what I'd like to see if there were another ten factions:

Orthodox
    1. Roman Empire (Byzantium)
    2. Moldavia
    3. Georgia/Kartli
    4. Serbia
    5. Wallachia

Southern European
    6. Genoa
    7. Portugal

Northern European
    8. Denmark

Muslim
    9. Timurid Empire

Right now I can't think of a tenth, though I think that it would be good if the 'Mongols' were changed to 'The Golden Horde'.
    Last edited by Zenith Darksea; 01-21-2007 at 16:42.

Neu, Timurid is too similar to vanilla, how about Mughal Empire?