Thread: Collision in M2TW

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Collision in M2TW

While I know that cavalry charges will be addressed in the next patch, what is left unclear is the collision control introduced in M2TW.

What I mean is, that your charging cavalry (and infantry) will stop short and just melee if they can potentially hit a friendly, which is quite annoying and makes charging into rear/flank of an engaged unit nearly impossible as some of your units are bound to be at either end.

Also, especially with infantry, once the front row is engaged, the back rows seem to sit back instead of going closer to the action - some will even turn to other directions and spread out.

In RTW and MTW there was never such a problem and units would try to get as close as possible to each other and try to get to the action. In M2TW they seem much less enthusiastic.

Also, in RTW cav charges could potentially kill your own troops, but thats usually a slight cost to pay considering how many you'll you in extended melee.

Another point I'd like to make is that while cavalry will be slightly improved charging-wise in the patch, reading the excerpt made me think that if at least one unit in a stack of cavalry were to get slightly stuck on an obstacle (like small rock), it would make only 10% of the cav charge effective if any at all, as at the moment, if that happens, all your cav will stop short of the target to let the one unit "catch up", before going slowly into melee.

Any thoughts on these issues?
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Default Re: Collision in M2TW

I believe that many of these problems are related to to both the unit cohesion bug and the charge bug (Personally, I think the two probably have the same cause - i.e. the "anti-blobbing" code and current pathfinding code). CA have said they'll address the charge bug, and I presume they'll do something about the cohesion bug as with the uproar about it both here, on the TW forums and at TWC is unmissable
    Current Campaign

<Insert Custom User Title> Member Dan.o6's Avatar

WHen my cavalry charges they lower lances and sound the horn then stop, pussyfoot around for a while then walk into melee and get killed. This needs fixing!

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    XFX Geforce 9800GTX 512mb
    XFX nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
    4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 RAM
    2x Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM
    Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzie
    (Personally, I think the two probably have the same cause - i.e. the "anti-blobbing" code and current pathfinding code)
    I concur.
    CA have said they'll address the charge bug, and I presume they'll do something about the cohesion bug as with the uproar about it both here, on the TW forums and at TWC is unmissable
    To be honest, the amount of "uproar" about this is quite underwhelming compared to how it entirely butcher the whole game.
    Seems that it's an issue noticed only by quite a few people.
    If violence didn't solve your problem... well, you just haven't been violent enough.

Well hopefully that will bring more attention to this matter, or at least more discussion...
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Gotta say it does bother me, but at the moment...until the patch..well not a whole heap you can do!

Cav is frustrating at times..they run off all over the show after units (sure they did this in RTW..but nowhere near as bad as this)..same old multi unit orders problem that rome had before it was patched (how did this happen?)

Sure many said it was too easy with cav in RTW..maybe it was...but I was never a heavy cav player..and I managed to survive....

It is a tough one to balance out...currently it isnt good...I am not convinced on the two types of charge either...reformed cav units isnt realistic..I mean why no decent charge..the second weaker charge is too weak at present. That is when it works. Lots of tweaking needed here..it does spoil things at the moment.

And its not really certain that collisions will be fixed in this patch. There is only mention of fixing the charge mechanics for cavalry, but collisions affect every single unit, just cavalry more than infantry. Its like 1 friendly militia individual (!) stopping the charge of a huge mass of friendly cavalry jsut because they don't want to risk running him over...