Thread: Changing region names

Default Changing region names

That's it, I can't look at Normandy as Caen region anymore or Austria as Vienna region. I hear the map on my desk yelling at me to make it stop and the Atlas has been ignoring me ever since I bought Medieval 2.
    I must change the province names to their proper selves.

I tried changing the names in descr_regions , descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup and descr_strat but to no avail.
    So can anyone tell me how I go about changing them?

Default Re: Changing region names

Ive been interested in this as well. Actually since youve mentioned it i cant bring myself to play because it bothers me quite a bit.

I noticed that in game when you hover over a spot in a region it comes up as "(whatever the city is) Region". All the text files you edited say "(whatever city it is) Province". Perhaps if you could find the one that uses the term region it would be the one you are looking for.

Just a thought though and i havent found such a file yet.

file list to be changed

imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt (in text folder)
    descr_regions.txt (base folder)
    descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt (campaign folder)
    descr_mercenaries.txt (campaign folder)
    descr_strat.txt (campaign folder)

6 files to be modded in all

Discipulus et Magister Member Lord Condormanius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin's Apprentice
    file list to be changed

imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt (in text folder)
    descr_regions.txt (base folder)
    descr_mercenaries.txt (campaign folder)
    descr_strat.txt (campaign folder)

6 files to be modded in all
    You only listed 5 files (#3 & #5 are repeats). Should there be 6? I adjusted all of these and my my game wouldn't allow me to start a campaign, so I changed them back.
    "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."
    -Albert Einstein

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    -Benjamin Franklin

just the 5 accidental repeat of 1

check the log to see where the error was?

I have changed most province names and some settlement names to make them more authentic. E.g. "Bruges region" becomes "Flanders", "Prague region" becomes "Bohemia"...

Other changes include:
    - Hamburg has become Lübeck, because in the game its port sits on the Baltic (and AFAIK Lübeck was more influential in the Middle Ages)
    - Frankfurt changed into Mainz
    - Helsinki (founded only in 16th century) changed into Turku

Because of the layout of the M2TW campaign map, some regions do not entirely correspond to historical provinces. I have tried to stick as close to reality as I could. If you see any stupid mistakes, however, please let me know :) Also, I know nothing about the New World, so let me know if you have suggestions for names in that part of the world.

Download here: http://users.pandora.be/johan_eaf274...TW_Regions.zip or in the twcenter.net downloads section
    Unzip and put the file in your mod/data/text folder. Should work with all mods that use the default M2TW map.

You only need to change the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt, by the way ;)

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

I haven't tried it, but since M2TW is based on RTW, have you tried double clicking the city name when you got the construction screen open? In RTW you used to be able to change city names that way.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Johan217, I used your changed region names text file, and it had zero effect on my campaign. No city or region names were changed. I placed the file "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" In both the Data and Text folders and it seems like that's not enough to make the changes stick, if it works for you what else did you do? Let me know, Cheers!
    "Religion is a thing which the king cannot command, because no man can be compelled to believe against his will..."

Yes, sorry. You need to use the modswitcher as explained here. Forgot to mention that