Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M2TW data text files

Default Re: M2TW data text files

I can assure you that this release and the patch's progress are entirely unrelated.

As for the replacement to the dmb file - I simply don't understand the process myself, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 12-05-2006 at 01:34.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Works like a charm
    Now just need some decent programmer to create a unit editor like Caligula

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin's Apprentice
    Works like a charm
    Now just need some decent programmer to create a unit editor like Caligula
    I am only one man people!

Nah, main problem right now is a few things are still not quite understood, like how it all ties in with models and the like, but that just means it'll be a 'over time' process, where rather then a smart setup that can edit lots of files, it'll start basic, get better.
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

I have faith in ya :)
    shouldnt take too long once the unpacker comes out and the rest of the files are available

Caligula works a wee bit already, just doesnt do the new stuff like stakes and such
    havent tried to save an editted unit yet tho
    still messing with units the old fasioned way
    by hand

Altogether quite not there! Member GodsPetMonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin's Apprentice
    Caligula works a wee bit already, just doesnt do the new stuff like stakes and such
    havent tried to save an editted unit yet tho
    still messing with units the old fasioned way
    by hand
    Well, the files are similar, so yeah, that's to be expected, the problem is with new variables that the units have, like armour_ug_levels and armour_ug_models, which it can't handle, and will result in a non-working units file if you try to save. I would love to know where the models are now stored (instead of the DMB) cause then I could pull them in, but I guess it's not to be.

Something to work on when I get home from work though - part of the problem of CA Oz releasing something at the start of their work day, it's the start of mine too
    Caligula and Hadrian - Unit and Building editors for Rome: Total War.
    Now editing -
    export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_unit_enums.txt, export_units.txt, descr_model_battle.txt
    export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, export_buildings.txt

in the good ol' US of A. my brothr is in the Airforce, and i am proud of what he does for his country.

well, with what i am reading they may have made it easier for modders to do things, but it lacks the simplicityof the old just mod a text file if you just want to tone down some unit strength or increase costs/build time.

creating new folders and knowing what has to go in them is a little complicated for me. i never understood it in the RTW mods either.
    "Signatures tell the forum who you are. If you make jokes, you are a clown. If you leave serious quotes, you take things seriously. If you challenge the owner of the forums, you are a malcontent.

The Owners are like a government. If you make jokes, they laugh. If you make serious quotes, they keep an eye on you, while probing public opinion on your remarks. If you challenge them, you are a threat." - me on the SWG forums before they censored my sig

in the good ol' US of A. my brothr is in the Airforce, and i am proud of what he does for his country.

"Then create a folder in that directory called mymod and in that have your data folder with its modded files exactly mimicking the directory structure in the main game folder."

this is where i get lost. for me to get it, you have to assume i don't know anything... basically because i don't.
    "Signatures tell the forum who you are. If you make jokes, you are a clown. If you leave serious quotes, you take things seriously. If you challenge the owner of the forums, you are a malcontent.

The Owners are like a government. If you make jokes, they laugh. If you make serious quotes, they keep an eye on you, while probing public opinion on your remarks. If you challenge them, you are a threat." - me on the SWG forums before they censored my sig

I can't seem to get unit changes to show up.

What does the structure have to be when you run the .bat file?

So far I have tried /mymod/export_descr_unit.txt and /mymod/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

Neither of these show any of the changes made.

EDIT: nevermind, I figrued it out. I forgot to put [features] into the .cfg.

However, it looks like the stat_armour_ex is non functional. It is commented out in all cases, and if I remove the ; the game won't run.

This is very dissapointing.
    Last edited by the_mango55; 12-05-2006 at 06:26.
    "You're drunk again!"
    "Na Im just exhausted from staying up all night drinking!" - Family guy

Has anyone been able to add new provinces yet?

Many Thanks. I'm very enthusiastic now... It's a new hope, after I just gave up playing this game.
    And because this is my first post here: Greetings to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by swell
    The two files, xxx.bat and xxx.cfg must be in the main folder, ie "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War"
    How are these files created?

Honner et Fidelite Member repman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D Wilson
    How are these files created?

For a bat file you create a txt file with notepad and rename the ending to .bat

For the cfg file, make a copy of the standard cfg file and include the changes.

Loadingscreens and splash screen works fine in my mod DLV 1.5

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 5.3 for MTW II 1.2
    All factions playable, Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+TeutonicOrder+Armenia+Crusader +Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6.1, big map, military career system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Welcome Lightkeeper

I suppose it is impossible to use these changes in a savegame, using the mod switch? I keep getting unspecified error when loading a savegame (i copied the saves folder over, two sound files, and the base and campaign folders).

And Richard if you ever remember how to use these files in the main data folder do post an update please!

Thanks ER.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

There's some interesting info inside these files - e.g. in the file descr_ship.txt we can find that there were intially plans to include ships ingame. I wonder whether it's be possible to make them work?

Quote Originally Posted by repman
    For a bat file you create a txt file with notepad and rename the ending to .bat

For the cfg file, make a copy of the standard cfg file and include the changes.
    Thanks a lot for that!

I'm still having some difficulty in getting anything to work. I have followed all instructions to the letter, made the .cfg (with the features bit) and .bat files, and yet when I load the game with the .bat file it loads up the vanilla version rather than mymod.
    I have made sure the sounds files are in the mymod folder and the structures are exact copies of the vanilla data folder, and still nothing.

Any ideas, guys? It'd be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Dave1984; 12-05-2006 at 14:06.

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Try this guide i wrote at TWC:

Step-by-step guide on how to set up the mod switch feature:

1. Create a .bat file(make a .txt then rename the extension) in the Medieval II Total War folder with this line in it:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

2. Copy and paste the medieval2.preference.cfg file, rename the copy to mymod.cfg, and add this to it:

[features]
    mod = mymod

(it also helps to set this file to read-only as otherwsie the changes seem to be lost)

3. Create a new folder inside the Medieval II Total War folder called mymod. Then create a folder called data inside that.

4. Copy the world and sound folders from Medeival II Total War\data to Medeival II Total War\mymod\data.

5. Then place any modified text files in the mymod\data folder.

6. Run the game using the .bat file.

Hope this helps you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    Try this guide i wrote at TWC:

Step-by-step guide on how to set up the mod switch feature:

1. Create a .bat file(make a .txt then rename the extension) in the Medieval II Total War folder with this line in it:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

2. Copy and paste the medieval2.preference.cfg file, rename the copy to mymod.cfg, and add this to it:

[features]
    mod = mymod

(it also helps to set this file to read-only as otherwsie the changes seem to be lost)

3. Create a new folder inside the Medieval II Total War folder called mymod. Then create a folder called data inside that.

4. Copy the world and sound folders from Medeival II Total War\data to Medeival II Total War\mymod\data.

5. Then place any modified text files in the mymod\data folder.

6. Run the game using the .bat file.

Hope this helps you guys.
    Ok, I've done all of that and it still loads the Vanilla version.
    All I'm trying to do as a test is make the Saxons playable in the campaign using this modswitch. If I copy the modded files to the vanilla data folder then it works (OK, it doesn't, you can select the saxon shield at the faction select and then it takes you back to the menu)

If I swap the files over (so mymod has the vanilla descr strat and vanilla data has the modded files) and so on, launching the .bat file launches the modded version of the game so somewhere along the line it isn't using the mymod.cfg, or something.

I've just realised the way i posted doesn't work for me, but i cannot work out why, as it follows exactly what ER posted in this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=71291

The best way to set this up is as follows:

Create a new bat file in the top level Medieval 2 Total War folder (the one with the .exe in it) called Launch_MyMod.bat

Inside it should read:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

Then create copy your medieval2.preference.cfg file and rename it mymod.cfg and include the following lines:

[features]
    mod = mymod

Then create a folder in that directory called mymod and in that have your data folder with its modded files exactly mimicking the directory structure in the main game folder.

As you can see using a bat file to launch the game using different .cfg files allows you to easily swap between different mods and game configurations without wholesale duplication of your data folder, risking direct file overwrites or copying and overwriting your original .cfg file.

As with Rome, the mymod folder needs to include certain game files from the world folder to function. Currently, it also requires sounds/events.dat and sounds/events.idx to function. This should be borne in mind when writing mod installers or alternatively in install instructions.

Ah, got it to work, i had named the .cfg file mymod.cfg, without realising that file extensions weren't being shown, so infact it was called mymod.cfg.cfg, so i just removed the .cfg from its name and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    Ah, got it to work, i had named the .cfg file mymod.cfg, without realising that file extensions weren't being shown, so infact it was called mymod.cfg.cfg, so i just removed the .cfg from its name and it works.
    I'd done exactly the same thing, and now it works (well it doesn't, but at least it's launching from the right place!

Cheers

typical isn't it eh? If it isn't working, you've probably done something very stupid and simple wrong.

Any idea if it works with the packs files?

I tryed the Building descr file and placed it in mymod/packs but doesnt work............

You dont need to place it in mymod\packs, you need to put it in mymod\data, as the mod switch function bypasses the pack files, maknig the game look for files in the mymod\data folder first, then in the packs folder.

is possible use this without moidswitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Epistolary Richard
    As for the replacement to the dmb file - I simply don't understand the process myself, I'm afraid.
    But it will still be moddable, right?

If anyone who has STEAM can't get this to work (Like me). Instead of creating a bat file do this.

1. Go to STEAM then My Games
    2. Right Click on Medieval 2 and go to Properties
    3. Click "Set launch options"
    4. Enter "@mymod.cfg" without the quotes.

Using a bat file for me just popped up an error saying it couldn't find STEAM.

Sorry if I might be posting this in the wrong thread, but will units that have been included in the export_descr_units.txt actually show up ingame instead of being inivisible?

Quote Originally Posted by majesticchapel
    Sorry if I might be posting this in the wrong thread, but will units that have been included in the export_descr_units.txt actually show up ingame instead of being inivisible?
    Depends on your definition of new units. If you add a conquistador to england it will have the peasant icon when you recruit him and the same stats and they will be invinsible since there are no textures for the english versions. You can however copy a spearman unit and rename it to something else with different stats.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast