Thread: i got the pope seat!what now?

Smile i got the pope seat!what now?

Okay, here is a small history what i did to have it:
    -Attacked Rome while papal states was my ally,
    -Captured it and cornered the last papal army,
    -Killed about 9 popes one after another until my poor cardinal is the only one left:),
    -İn the end i have the pope seat, but...

Naturally, my actions caused all catholic factions to declare war on me and soon
    (i couldnt killed one pope for 3 turns, so he had the time to call a crusade) they
    all sent crusading armies to Rome.(yes all catholic factions, it was funny to see
    6 crusading armies passing by Venice together:))

But now i have the pope, he reconciled me, ended the crusade, loved me:) but will he tell them to stop attacking me and if they siege one of my cities will he excommunicate them?İts not good to have 6 full strenght armies around my capital because i cant clean em up sooner or later,im out of men...

(i tried to offer ceasefire but even if i give 100000 florins, they find it very demanding for ceasefire..)

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Default Re: i got the pope seat!what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsong
    i got the pope seat!what now?
    Well, give it back! He's not going to be happy now that you stole his chair/sofa/lay-z-boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsong
    But now i have the pope, he reconciled me, ended the crusade, loved me:) but will he tell them to stop attacking me and if they siege one of my cities will he excommunicate them?İts not good to have 6 full strenght armies around my capital because i cant clean em up sooner or later,im out of men...

(i tried to offer ceasefire but even if i give 100000 florins, they find it very demanding for ceasefire..)
    Ahem.. If I may paraphrase what you've done, using the analogy of the kid with the hornet's nest.

You saw the nest, and decided to play with it. Before doing so, you realized that there are also a number of hornet's nests in the vicinity of your target toy, and that disturbing your target is going to annoy the rest of them. Ignoring this, you proceed to not *just* poke at the nest with a stick, you beat the ever-lovin hell out of it. With a Louisville Slugger. THEN, when you're done beating it to a pulp, you proceed to smear the honey all over yourself and then you ROLL IN THE REMAINS gleefully. (yes I know hornets don't make honey) Your task complete, you stand up to realize that the other hornets have observed your actions, and aren't the least bit happy about what you did to their fellow hornet's home. You offer them a jolly rancher and politely ask them not to sting you, the remains of the other nest, and probably it's inhabitants, still dripping from your grinning face.

Not so hard to see why they aren't too keen on letting you go, eh?

Good luck!

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Discipulus et Magister Member Lord Condormanius's Avatar

If the Pope is from your country I think his favor with the factions you are at war with drops quite a bit. If they attack you, he will probably tell them to stop or excommunicate them. If I were you, I would try to improve relations with those factions. They probably aren't going to accept a ceasefire under the circumstances. You either have to beat the hell out of them, if you are strong enough, or others to get your military might up. You can also try to give them money (...this may be hard to swallow, but it sometimes works to improve relations) as a gift. It doesn't have to be a lot 100 florins or less sometimes helps to gradually increase relations before offering a peace they will accept.

Either way, get ready for some pain. This could set you back a little bit if everyone decides to ignore the Pope (like you did). Or you could get lucky if the other factions realize that they can't afford those gigantic crusader armies and are forced to disband them.
    "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."
    -Albert Einstein

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dragonsong
    i got the pope seat!what now?

Well, give it back! He's not going to be happy now that you stole his chair/sofa/lay-z-boy!

Good point

Anyway i have a huge income because i only built trade buildings in all of my cities, i have 2 citadells.one has all upgrades (master heavy super amour factory things, all built up!) about infantry (ranged and meele)-Palermo-,

one has all cav. and art. buildings ready-sofia-.

my all income is coming from venice(it has about5000 per turn), bologna(about 4000),florance(around 4000), genoa(about3000), milan about 3000), (and all of the uber armies are now rambling around them!) if i lose any of these i wont be able to even upkeep my armies invading some absurd places And yes one of them is about russia chasing after hungarian faction leader and heir, one of them is about Constantinople trying to help the only nation im not at war (Turks, also they are paying 1000 florins per turn to keep our alliance!)

İ need something urgent because Mongols are just arrived and the small cities
    i have are doing nothing but rioting

Thanks for the comments and this game is absolutely the most entertaing game ive ever played

Actually in having a Pope from your cardinals means you can at least 2 times break the imposed "cease the hostilities" mission without being excommunicated.

That's fantastic, you have a great backs to the wall situation, I reckon you should upload the game to the org and let us all have a go.

It strikes me that you you have several possible avenues including forcing some very heroic battles, clever subterfuges and diplomacy. This is after all Total war and giving back your hard won gains would be anathema to me. Attack, whip your men till they are spent.!

What I always yearn for is for the ai to try to hit me hard, so far, their victories have been few and far between

On a side issue , if you can get your own pope then it would be very cool to be able to control those pesky inquisitors... hint hint CA.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

good idea but theyd have to nerf inquisitors considering the extremely high success rate they have...
    I played as the papal states once, and inquisitors were just devastating under my control. I could wipe out an entire faction in a couple turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker

Ahem.. If I may paraphrase what you've done, using the analogy of the kid with the hornet's nest.

You saw the nest, and decided to play with it. Before doing so, you realized that there are also a number of hornet's nests in the vicinity of your target toy, and that disturbing your target is going to annoy the rest of them. Ignoring this, you proceed to not *just* poke at the nest with a stick, you beat the ever-lovin hell out of it. With a Louisville Slugger. THEN, when you're done beating it to a pulp, you proceed to smear the honey all over yourself and then you ROLL IN THE REMAINS gleefully. (yes I know hornets don't make honey) Your task complete, you stand up to realize that the other hornets have observed your actions, and aren't the least bit happy about what you did to their fellow hornet's home. You offer them a jolly rancher and politely ask them not to sting you, the remains of the other nest, and probably it's inhabitants, still dripping from your grinning face.

Not so hard to see why they aren't too keen on letting you go, eh?

Good luck!
    HAHAH! jesus thats funny as hell... I love that analogy.

In my opinion... the only way you will ever be able to end the war is: you either kill or be killed. you must either die for your actions, or make the other bastards die for their's.

well, bad news: i lost my army invading constantiople which had some ranked up ven.heav.inf, some feudal knights, borken lances, crossbowmen.Actually they havent been able to conquer city yet and the navy i sent to bring them back
    is lying at the bottom of the sea with them!(thanks to byzantine fireships coming out of nowhere..)
    hungarian chasers did manage to kill both heir and leader but i had to disband them because of their low numbers, but some of them managed to get back Bucuresti.

now im fully out of men but defenders did a great job, Rome is under siege by two of those uber armies, but hungarians are just dead and had to retreat with theirs, Milan still wants Milan but they cannot attack me thanks to my new pope:) HRE still has theirs about Venice, and Spain's is just heading back to Spain:) i defeated France's army to extinction but took heavy losses.

İ lost many merchanary buildings thanks to rioters.my income is not as high as before but im pretty relieved right now.(having the pope is a great thing:)

i will try to upload this savegame if you want, difficulties i set were both very hard for campaign and battle.

by the way the siege and cav castle is Ragusa, not Sofia,
    here is the link enjoy it!:

http://rapidshare.com/files/6289978/...ction.sav.html