Thread: Teen Murderer Says Jail Is Too Hard, Appeals Sentence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Default Teen Murderer Says Jail Is Too Hard, Appeals Sentence

Link

Yes, trailling (sp?) minors as adults is not something I support, but I can't help laughing at this guy.

Messner and his attorney said he has already learned his lesson and is ready to go home to help others.

"I want to be an inspirational speaker for troubled teens," he said Monday.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Default Re: Teen Murderer Says Jail Is Too Hard, Appeals Sentence

Most know that I am an advocate for serious and challenging rehabilitation regimes for prisoners that will be returning to society. I also oppose capital punishment.

This young man is clearly a callous and amoral person who helped to kill a defenceless man for fun. He did not/does not regret the killing, merely the punishment it brought him.

The sentence of 22 years is too short. He should be in prison for the rest of his life, with hard labour. Callous murder should always bring a life sentence that means the entire natural life, and with hard labour so it is appropriately miserable and provides the small benefit to society of handmade gravel. I believe one might rehabilitate someone who has a regret and understanding of what he did, but this person does not, even now.

Messner's parents broke down at the denial. His mother said it's unfair, that her son fell in with a bad crowd and prison is killing him.
    If prison is killing him, maybe the lesson of what he did to another human being will finally sink in - after another 22 years. Somehow I doubt that this self-centred boy and his blinkered parents will learn any lessons at all.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

He should be left there to rot... nothing more and nothing less. I'm sick and tired of hearing about these poor little scum bags that are victims of broken homes or society etc etc etc and need rehabilitation. They should do the time for the crime, and if there isn't enough prison spaces (a problem that the government over in the UK are dithering over at present), build more prisons, and create a few jobs in the process.

If he won't reoffend, why bother keeping him in prison? Waste of money.

This is not about wasting money, it is about keeping the public safe and punishing these types of criminals. There is no way of guaranteeing that he won't reoffend, and if was released and killed someone else, plenty of people would be saying "why was he let out!?"...

Besides that, if there is no real deterrent, such as long prison sentances with little or no home comforts, crimals will be thinking "I can kill, do a few years in a cushy prison, then get out again to do the same".
    Last edited by caravel; 12-06-2006 at 14:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Manco Capac
    This is not about wasting money, it is about keeping the public safe and punishing these types of criminals. There is no way of guaranteeing that he won't reoffend, and if was released and killed someone else, plenty of people would be saying "why was he let out!?"...

Besides that, if there is no real deterrent, such as long prison sentances with little or no home comforts, crimals will be thinking "I can kill, do a few years in a cushy prison, then get out again to do the same".
    If he's not more likely to reoffend than anyone else is likely to offend in the first place, what's the issue? Punishing people never helped society. I agree with deterrent, but that's not a long sentence. It's a certainty of being caught.

e.g. Sticking 1% of offenders in prison for decades is not going to put people off, whereas catching 99% and sticking them in for a month will work hugely better.

Quote Originally Posted by BDC
    If he won't reoffend, why bother keeping him in prison? Waste of money.
    Prison isn't just about rehabilitation. It's about prevention.

If they let this guy out, then what's to stop ME from going and killing someone and just recanting a week later?

Don't do the crime if you can't pay the crime. I also think that 22 years was a light sentence. I'm also against the death penalty (it's too easy).
    Rameus

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't care if he is 8 years old,18,20, or 494994 years old, you kill a defenseless man, you dersve the needle (or get shot IMO)