Thread: What coudld have happened? WW1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Default What coudld have happened? WW1

Let me put a battle forward, but first, if for example, I put forward the battle of Verdun, what could have happened? What would have YOU done?
    Well I will put forward a BATTLE.... Ah... the SOMME!
    What could have happened, what would have you done? A complete failure, a straight charge at Machine-guns, how could that change, if you are going to say 'This is for the CHAPTER HOUSE!' dont, because the chapter huse is for detailed discussions with Chapters, I want to know what you would have done, bombed for longer, send them in smaller waves? Choose,

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I FEEL THIS IS NOT FOR THE CHAPTER HUSE, SO DO NOT SAY TO GO THERE, BECAUSE i WONT!

Default Re: What coudld have happened? WW1

The problem was that generals simply didn't know how to attack trenches, and also because there was no other way then crossing the no-mans-land. You had to cross it, you simply couldn't outflank trenches. Till the coming of the tank you simply had to march your entire division without support.

Now there were different methods of advancing.
    The Brits advanced in a big front all the men next to eachother.
    The Frogs and Yanks advanced in lines of about 8 men with good distances between the groups.

Imo that last approach would be better. Furthermore I would first shell for 30 minutes with normal ammo. Then start using gas, and (I don't know if it would be possible back then) lay a smoke screen.
    Since no-mens land was big, I would (after the smoke screen) order the men to advance and start using gas again. To keep the enemy down, and their morale low.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

This is for the Chapter House....

No, what I would have done was perhaps coty that tactic, however the French proved they were adept at losing lots of infantry as well, as were the Yanks.

I would however know I could do little about the initial wave, they would lose lots, as in most wars, but in WWI even more so.
    But generally the first wave would capture at least one line of trenches. Then get thrown back.

The reason was the generals spread out far far too much. I would concentrate on the few miles at most. Stack up division after division behind the first, and just punch through on a limited front. Also, to make sure I would get litte interferrence from arty I would not bomb the frontlines save a short "get in the tunnels" bombardment. I would pound the rear areas where arty, supplies, communications and reseves were. That should leave me the chances to get through.

I'm not general so all the basics I would leave to my subordinates, but that is the template. If I had tanks, great! If not... I would handle that as well.

I'm sure you can see where this comes from eh? I doubt I need to give a hit.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

SEND IN THE CAVALRY...l

We do not sow.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger
    SEND IN THE CAVALRY...l
    Well that wuold be the order as soon as my guy began reaching land with no more barbed wire and trenches... Boy would cavalry rip open arty if they had the chance.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Keep the artillery going for longer. Sooner or later the entrenched German army would surrender due to lack of supplies. Bomb til the mud is settled and no man's land is passable, and if they still don't surrender, do what the British eventually thought of: send in infantry, covered by artillery fire a bit in front of them. Concentrate a large force on one specific area, while holding back plenty of reserves to try and hide the fact. Once the trench is broken into, a strike into the communications centre to eliminate the leaders. Then, do what would not be expected by the Germans and attack from behind. Of course, by this point, it's quite likely something's gone wrong and this force is destroyed.

Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    Well that wuold be the order as soon as my guy began reaching land with no more barbed wire and trenches... Boy would cavalry rip open arty if they had the chance.
    Or maybe armored cavalry my friend? Your tactic sounds awfully like Schwerpunkt.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.