Thread: "constant" ctd's casse

Default "constant" ctd's casse

I am currently in the year 215-214 BC of my Casse campaign, duking it out with Macedon over the snowy fields of the Belgae. As of the year 218 BC Ive had 3 unreproducable CTD's so far -> It CTD's, I load up the game again, I can play for 5 or 6 turns and it CTD's again. (the third one happened 10 minutes ago)

The first two crashed within a second of pressing END TURN. The third crashed approx. 4 seconds after pressing END TURN, I think I saw some faction symbols pass already on that occasion.

I am not 100% sure, cause they sort of took me by surprise the first two times, but the 2nd and 3rd CTD were both after a turn in which I defeated a full stack Macedon army with my full stack.

Thats about all the details I have on it.

Oh by the way, I am playing on a version with BI 1.6 (so 1.0 -> BI -> 1.6 BI -> EB) installed, however I am just using the RTW.exe too launch the game, so I am basicly playing on a fresh RTW 1.5 (I think ).
    EB member

Default Re: "constant" ctd's casse

Things have worsened. I started up today where I left of yesterday. I end the turn and it wont go past Macedon's turn. It CTD's every time. I can upload a save if you want.

Ill be using an older save to see if I can still make progression in my game.
    EB member

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

I would upload the save game, and hopefully the EB will see this thread and figure out what the deal is.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

I have the same problem with my Parthian campaign, though in this case it's winter 261 BC...
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

Could turn on the Follow AI option and turn of FOW and see where the ctd happends.

Also a save game would probably the best idea.

Someone posted a fix to make sure no cities ever cause a CTD when they rebel (and no units are available to the rebels). I have looked all morning for that. It basically adds pantodapoi to the core buildings so rebels have one unit in case of rebellion. I thought it was cheexsta who posted it, but can't find it now. That could very well be the problem with AI turn CTD's. We're working on a solution of a different sort, but that might be a way to get past ctd's right now if you are having them on AI turns.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Someone posted a fix to make sure no cities ever cause a CTD when they rebel (and no units are available to the rebels). I have looked all morning for that. It basically adds pantodapoi to the core buildings so rebels have one unit in case of rebellion. I thought it was cheexsta who posted it, but can't find it now. That could very well be the problem with AI turn CTD's. We're working on a solution of a different sort, but that might be a way to get past ctd's right now if you are having them on AI turns.
    Here is that thread, with the fix:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=70683

Thanks! His post was back in October - that's why I couldn't find it. I was looking at all the post 0.8 release posts.

Post #7 is the one.

Also, if this does solve a CTD someone is having, please post here and let us know about it.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 12-12-2006 at 22:46.

Tried it, says that "rebel pantodapoi" is an unknown unit type...
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

I dont know if everyone's figured this out already, but I just did, so I thought I'd post it.

I suffered from this CTD in my 0.8 Romani campaign until I tried the fix suggested by MarcusAureliusAntoninus and Teleklos Archelaou. Like Randarkmaan i couldn't get it to work with pantodapoi so I tried another unit:

recruit "germanic infantry frankamannoz slave" 0
    and it worked perfectly, my game no longer CTDs on rebels turn. So thanks for the help everyone, and I hope I've been of some assistance!

Hmm. Well substituting any one of your units (low level preferably) there could work. Grab one from further down in the EDB recruitment lines - search for your faction's internal name and you'll find plenty.

This is promising though. Maybe one of our last few CTD's will get taken care of this way now. We made the unit recruitment too complex I guess for this aspect

Still ctd's after applying the spawn fix.

I ll post my edit in case I did something wrong.

EDB.txt:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    building core_building
    {
        levels governors_house governors_villa governors_palace proconsuls_palace imperial_palace
        {
            governors_house requires factions { saba, slave, barbarian, armenia, romans_brutii, egypt, romans_scipii, carthage, parthia, numidia, thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, pontus, }
            {
                capability
                {
    	agent diplomat  0  requires factions { barbarian, armenia, pontus, }
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { romans_brutii, egypt, }
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { romans_scipii, carthage, parthia, saba, }
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { numidia, }
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, }
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { seleucid, }
                    law_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { armenia, pontus, }
                }
                construction  2
                cost  800
                settlement_min village
                upgrades
                {
                    governors_villa
                }
            }
            governors_villa requires factions { saba, slave, barbarian, armenia, romans_brutii, egypt, romans_scipii, carthage, parthia, numidia, thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, pontus, } and building_present government or building_present_min_level nomadcamp warlordm or building_present_min_level nomadsett smallstlmnt or building_present_min_level nomadherd warlordh
            {
                capability
                {
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { romans_scipii, carthage, parthia, saba, }
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, }
                    law_bonus bonus 2 requires factions { armenia, pontus, }
                }
                construction  4
                cost  1600
                settlement_min town
                upgrades
                {
                    governors_palace
                }
            }
            governors_palace requires factions { saba, slave, barbarian, armenia, romans_brutii, egypt, romans_scipii, carthage, parthia, numidia, thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, pontus, } and building_present government or building_present_min_level nomadcamp warlordm or building_present_min_level nomadsett smallstlmnt or building_present_min_level nomadherd warlordh
            {
                capability
                {
                    law_bonus bonus 3  requires factions { armenia, pontus, }
    			}
    			faction_capability
    			{
                    upgrade_bodyguard 1 requires factions { barbarian, armenia, }
                }
                construction  6
                cost  3200
                settlement_min large_town
                upgrades
                {
                    proconsuls_palace
                }
            }
            proconsuls_palace requires factions { barbarian, germans, gauls, saba, slave, romans_brutii, egypt, romans_scipii, carthage, parthia, numidia, thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, } and building_present government
            {
                capability
                {
    	agent diplomat  0  requires factions { barbarian, }
    			}
    			faction_capability
    			{
                    upgrade_bodyguard 1 requires factions { barbarian, armenia, }
                }
                construction  8
                cost  6400
                settlement_min city
                upgrades
                {
                    imperial_palace
                }
            }
            imperial_palace requires factions { saba, slave, romans_brutii, egypt, romans_scipii, carthage, parthia, numidia, thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, } and building_present government
            {
                capability
                {
    	agent diplomat  0  requires factions { barbarian, }
    			}
                faction_capability
    			{
    				upgrade_bodyguard 1
                }
                construction  12
                cost  12800
                settlement_min large_city
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins
        {
        }
    EB member

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

your line should be like this:
    recruit "germanic infantry frankamannoz" 0 requires factions { slave, }
    (do it for every level.)

In order for it to work, it has to be recruitable by the current owner not just slave.

I'm beggining to think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. After fixing the CTD I was able to resume my campaign, but after only a few turns I got another CTD. So I thought I'd investigate what was causing it, only to find out that none of my savegames will load anymore, instead causing instant CTD. I'm att a complete loss as to what's causing this particular problem, all I know is that some faction is doing something and it aint me or the rebels.

Quote Originally Posted by Gertgregoor
    your line should be like this:
    recruit "germanic infantry frankamannoz" 0 requires factions { slave, }
    (do it for every level.)
    Hmm that sure looks a lot better.

Tried it, still ctd's in Macedon's turn.
    EB member

Tried it and got the same result as Oleo, though not on Macedon's turn...
    -Stephen Fry

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Try adding it for all the factions then. Change:
    { slave, }

to:
    { slave, greek_cities, egypt,... ... ,saba, }

Ofcourse you have to change the ... to faction names and stuff. To find the internal names of faction just look around in the text file.

Quote Originally Posted by Gertgregoor
    Try adding it for all the factions then. Change:
    { slave, }

to:
    { slave, greek_cities, egypt,... ... ,saba, }

Ofcourse you have to change the ... to faction names and stuff. To find the internal names of faction just look around in the text file.
    Thanx for all the tips. It still ctds though.

By the way, Ive seen settlements revolt to factions (Saba, Aedui) without spawning units. I just dont think this fix is gonna work for this particular ctd, I hope I run into something in my own Macedon campaign.
    EB member

{ all, } works too

Obviously you guys were right about it being a rebelling sort of thing.

I got it to work by adding a extra unit.. This is gonna be a nice change from my macedon campaign, kicking macedon butt with casse.
    EB member