Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man of the hour...not meant to be!

Default Man of the hour...not meant to be!

Hmm noticed far too frequently...that the adoption isnt completed.."sadly it wasn't meant to be...he has passed away"...

Yeah right just after the battle ! lol

Anyone else had this...not a one off...happened many many times...what a pointless addition....

Default Re: Man of the hour...not meant to be!

I'll tell ya what barry... why don't you spend a few bucks a month to maintain your own forum, and call it the "I can't stand MTW2 but I play it all the time anyways" forum. I'm sure that at least ten or twenty other people will jump ship with you, and I'll even promise to stop by once in a while to keep you company.

I know that I'll probably end up getting a warning for saying that, but subconciously I associate your profile on the forum with these endless nitpicks.
    If I wanted to be [jerked] around and have my intelligence insulted, I'd go back to church.
    -Bill Maher

Or maybe he could spend $50 on a game and have it not work properly like all of us here?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Fitzgerald
    Hmm noticed far too frequently...that the adoption isnt completed.."sadly it wasn't meant to be...he has passed away"...

Yeah right just after the battle ! lol

Anyone else had this...not a one off...happened many many times...what a pointless addition....
    I actually like it. You get to see a "man of the hour" with 4 stars, heaps of piety and chivalry so you think great, just what I need and BANG, he's gone.

Fortunately it only happens very rarely for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GFX707
    Or maybe he could spend $50 on a game and have it not work properly like all of us here?
    Define "work properly"...

Then show me any game made in the last five years that has "worked properly". Something a little more complex than Pong or Solitaire too, please.
    If I wanted to be [jerked] around and have my intelligence insulted, I'd go back to church.
    -Bill Maher

Signifer, Cohors II Legio II Member Comrade Alexeo's Avatar

Can we get a moderator in here, please?
    Signifer Titus Vorenus
    Cohors II Legion II
    Triana Fortis

http://www.geocities.com/tuccius2112...ianaindex.html

Ísland...or Iceland for ye darn foreigners :)

Never experienced a man of the hour that passed away. Of course this game has issues that hopefully will be adressed but I am sure that most people know of them now. So why not bring up something fun and constructive? thumbsup:
    Roma must be destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by NightStar
    Never experienced a man of the hour that passed away. Of course this game has issues that hopefully will be adressed but I am sure that most people know of them now. So why not bring up something fun and constructive? thumbsup:
    This was also in RTW so I dont think its an issue that needs addressing. Its probably there to give some uncertainty and variation to the game.

I think its a good touch, thankfully rare.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Thumbs down Re: Man of the hour...not meant to be!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTa
    I'll tell ya what barry... why don't you spend a few bucks a month to maintain your own forum, and call it the "I can't stand MTW2 but I play it all the time anyways" forum. I'm sure that at least ten or twenty other people will jump ship with you, and I'll even promise to stop by once in a while to keep you company.

I know that I'll probably end up getting a warning for saying that, but subconciously I associate your profile on the forum with these endless nitpicks.
    If everything anyone says about the game, which you do not agree with starts annoying you, then you need to take a break from the game and this forum. He did'nt say anything abusive or aggressive.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Then show me any game made in the last five years that has "worked properly". Something a little more complex than Pong or Solitaire too, please.
    Hitman: Blood Money.

also, stop whining about people whining.. its twice as bad. dont like what they say or think? walk away and ignore em.. not that hard...

anyways, no, i have never had one die on me.

i have noticed that the adopted ones usually are the MUCH better ones... too bad they cant be heirs unless u lose like all of ur original blood line.

You're absolutely right Sinan. I'm going to be taking a break from the forums, I want to apologize to Barry for what I wrote. If I had the edit function currently, I would have editted the above post.

See you guys all tomorrow.
    -Bill Maher

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan
    If everything anyone says about the game, which you do not agree with starts annoying you, then you need to take a break from the game and this forum. He did'nt say anything abusive or aggressive.
    Agreed. No one is forcing you to read or, better yet, respond to these forums. People can comment on the game as they wish.

Thumbs up Re: Man of the hour...not meant to be!

You're absolutely right Sinan. I'm going to be taking a break from the forums, I want to apologize to Barry for what I wrote. If I had the edit function currently, I would have editted the above post.

See you guys all tomorrow.
    Glad you did'nt take that my advice the wrong way. It usually helps me, if I'm reading stuff that's annoying then I ask myself what the ? why am I reading this ? Same with any game, if I start getting annoyed, I just quit. Play much better when my head is cool.

Have a good one !
    Last edited by Shahed; 12-11-2006 at 06:13.

I had this happen to me a few times in RTW, but it hasn't happened yet in MTW2. I think its a nice, if not semi realistic addition.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Yeh I got this happen to me the other day

A hard fought battle when I lost my general

I got 'Man of the Hour' and He look sweet - I thought Woohoo

but sadly no - he had died in said battle along with the general

sad news

BUT GREAT FEATURE - I LAUGHED, and even feeling disappointed that a charater was denied you - is still better than feeling nothing

and another feature I think is great - is the little 'comments' of the characters on the strat map when you click on the units of other nations... some of them say some hillareous stuff

Yeh some posters always put things negatively - thats their problem
    ce la vie
    I know how Id rather see things

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

Makes me laugh too. YES !!! A good general !! Oh no sorry.... he's dead :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan
    Makes me laugh too. YES !!! A good general !! Oh no sorry.... he's dead :P
    Totally - its like YAY !!!/ BOO!!!!.. I even sat there post morteming the battle ..thinking... "that last charge was excessive...shouldve let the peasants clean up the router" - "maybe then he mightve lived !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a minor thing, and to be honest I like it. Why not celebrate one bod that did well? I think that there are many other things that deserve attention.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

So if all the other games are buggy too, that means it's OK to sell buggy games? What's your point?

That's like saying "Well the US bombed babies during WWII, but the British and the Germans did it too, so that's OK".

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

I've had the man of the hour passing away before... it's usually because having won the battle, the captain led army captures a city - thus losing it's captain because captains don't exist in cities. So, if you want a man of the hour to succeed, it won't work so well when besieging cities.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

So its a bug then with captains besieging cities?

it doesn't become funny anymore after recieving the message 3 times in a row and resulting in 3 deaths...
    something just doesn't smell right to me, i was beginning to think my king jinx them or the heir is being very naughty >:)

Sorry guys just to clarify things...not a full on rant...but it just makes me wonder why is happens so much?

I don't mind the man of the hour thing...great...I just don't understand why he dies! lol

Last point.if he is going to die...why bother me with teasing me..that I have a new general (or can adopt one)..only to snuff him out before I can even use him! lol

Not saying it is a bug..but it looks kinda funny!

Quote Originally Posted by GFX707
    So if all the other games are buggy too, that means it's OK to sell buggy games? What's your point?

That's like saying "Well the US bombed babies during WWII, but the British and the Germans did it too, so that's OK".
    off topic i know but its a fallacy that Games/software can be released with no bugs - i know im a programmer.

As a Programmer the best you can hope for is that you catch all the more visable bugs but half the time that isnt possible either - as programs get more and more complicated the amount of testing required to find all the bugs increases expedientially - it would take years of in-depth testing to catch everything which not only would blow the budget but would also make your program completely outdated upon release. It is much more expedient to do your best to crush what you can - release - and then start on the patches.

back on topic

ive never had this problem but then i always have generals lead my armies on the front lines so i rarely get Man of the Hour
    Last edited by Sir Moody; 12-11-2006 at 11:44.

Well, in a few hour's play today I got "Man of the Hour" twice, and it worked both times. I vaguely remember what the original poster describes happening once, though.

As for saying that it's impossible to catch bugs....we don't know what size CA's testing team is or was, or how long or extensive the playtesting was. The Total war series has been badly balanced as far back as MTW as far as I can remember. I remember playing the campaign for a bit and thinking "Did they even play through this once?", but, well, that didn't stop me from getting addicted to it....hehehehe.

How do you know this is a bug?

I've had man of the hour a couple dozen times across two campaigns and only ever lost one of them. Perhaps its success or failure has something to do with how many generals you already have, or some other condition?

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Back to the main topic, it's either programmed in that way or my guess is the way CA made it work in a manner that prevents the CTD. Better to lose an occasional adoption then have the game go haywire on you.

A few ways this happens, an army is right next to the city/castle but not besieging, the battle is fought out the captain goes back to the cities and disbands. You cant find that wonderful captain so the game makes that message.

The other way is you forgot an army had multiple turns to attack an army, the battle occurs between end turn and the beginning of a new turn, when this happens the message stays hidden unitl you reload the game, wich could be 20 turns down the road
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oaty
    A few ways this happens, an army is right next to the city/castle but not besieging, the battle is fought out the captain goes back to the cities and disbands. You cant find that wonderful captain so the game makes that message.
    Happened to me yesterday, when I besiege a city with a captain and get attacked from outside the city and end up beating both armies. Captain takes the city, I get MOTH and he dies. Had the tragedy occur once in RTW as well but forgot the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaty
    The other way is you forgot an army had multiple turns to attack an army, the battle occurs between end turn and the beginning of a new turn, when this happens the message stays hidden unitl you reload the game, wich could be 20 turns down the road
    Had this happen to me in RTW only. In M2TW battles between turns on an open field (i.e. no sally, no attacking out from town, no siege) will generate a MOTH the next turn without loading even.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

The only time it ever happened to me was in RTW when I won a heroic victory against a brigand army and the captain died in the battle.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

I'd love it if the man of the hour thing made him a none-royal general. I agree with the keeping the bloodline 'pure' (inbreeding FTW!) but I'd love to have lower cast generals rising to greatness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast